Is it panic time?

Daniel

The 1995 Devils were 9-11-4 at this point. They had a good end of March, but still looked terrible before the playoffs. People need to step off the ledge.

Also, this team had periods where they played like this last season, too. Everyone panicked then as well.

teams don't stay consistent throughout an entire season. it's magnified in the shortened season, but a 6-10 game stretch after our start's not gonna kill us. If it happens for another 6-10 games, then yeah by all means panic but with goaltending this awful, with marty coming back, it probably won't be this bad 

The 1995 Devils were 9-11-4 at this point. They had a good end of March, but still looked terrible before the playoffs. People need to step off the ledge.

Also, this team had periods where they played like this last season, too. Everyone panicked then as well.

People also need to stop comparing 1995 records with 2012 records.  The OT point changes the entire dynamic of standings and what you can survive to make the playoffs.

People also need to stop comparing 1995 records with 2012 records. The OT point changes the entire dynamic of standings and what you can survive to make the playoffs.

I'm referring more to the situation. Just because a team doesn't look fantastic all 48 games doesn't mean they cant do anything that season. Hockey is a streaky game. Like I said in the other thread, Chicago is on fire, but the could get knocked out in 5 games if they slump and hit another hot team in the first round.

I'm referring more to the situation. Just because a team doesn't look fantastic all 48 games doesn't mean they cant do anything that season. Hockey is a streaky game. Like I said in the other thread, Chicago is on fire, but the could get knocked out in 5 games if they slump and hit another hot team in the first round.

It matters if you don't MAKE the playoffs to begin with.  People also really need to stop taking the playoffs for granted.  We're like what, three points up now?  And that's after an 8-1-2 start.

Plus it's more who we're losing to as opposed to the fact we're actually losing.  Tomorrow's the first time in like three weeks we play a team above us in the standings, and this is who we've gone 2-6-2 against, teams below us.  You can't always count on beating the good teams so you better beat the bad ones at 'some' point.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It matters if you don't MAKE the playoffs to begin with.  People also really need to stop taking the playoffs for granted.  We're like what, three points up now?  And that's after an 8-1-2 start.

Plus it's more who we're losing to as opposed to the fact we're actually losing.  Tomorrow's the first time in like three weeks we play a team above us in the standings, and this is who we've gone 2-6-2 against, teams below us.  You can't always count on beating the good teams so you better beat the bad ones at 'some' point.

Eh, I'm not valuing the standings that much. When we were on, we beat the good teams. Now we're off, and we can't seem to beat anyone. I think the real Devils are somewhere in the middle, and I think we win enough games to get in, at which point anything can happen.

Eh, I'm not valuing the standings that much. When we were on, we beat the good teams. Now we're off, and we can't seem to beat anyone. I think the real Devils are somewhere in the middle, and I think we win enough games to get in, at which point anything can happen.

You're supposed to be jumping off a ledge.

Have the Devils been outplayed in these last few games?  Not really - Hedberg hasn't been great in any of them, and the Devils haven't gotten the bounces.  They were getting the bounces before.

You're supposed to be jumping off a ledge.

Must have missed the memo. I'll find the nearest ledge now.

like i said somewhere, on the offence its not a personal problem we have a very similar roster than last year.

What i see is that the guys are not executing the system with enough intensity, which lead to us not creating turnovers, not pinning the other team in their end and not creating good scoring chances. More often we're just dumping the puck, losing that battle and the other team get an easy breakout, so we're giving away our possession a lot more.

So like i said to be successful in that system so have to be intense and aggressive, that's easy to do against top teams and division rivals or in the playoffs, but even though they are professional and all, it must be hard to go out and play that intense dump and chase game and pretty much run around and battle all game long / all season long.

You really need to be pumped and it seems like most of the game that they are losing it's cause they are not intense (the only line showing up every night and playing that style perfectly is the Gionta Carter Bernier line and well they are not top players we can't rely on them that much.

Would that somehow explain why we're playing great against top teams / division rivals and terrible against other teams? i mean... i dont see any other explanation lol Thoughts?

like i said somewhere, on the offence its not a personal problem we have a very similar roster than last year.

What i see is that the guys are not executing the system with enough intensity, which lead to us not creating turnovers, not pinning the other team in their end and not creating good scoring chances. More often we're just dumping the puck, losing that battle and the other team get an easy breakout, so we're giving away our possession a lot more.

So like i said to be successful in that system so have to be intense and aggressive, that's easy to do against top teams and division rivals or in the playoffs, but even though they are professional and all, it must be hard to go out and play that intense dump and chase game and pretty much run around and battle all game long / all season long.

You really need to be pumped and it seems like most of the game that they are losing it's cause they are not intense (the only line showing up every night and playing that style perfectly is the Gionta Carter Bernier line and well they are not top players we can't rely on them that much.

Would that somehow explain why we're playing great against top teams / division rivals and terrible against other teams? i mean... i dont see any other explanation lol Thoughts?

If that's true, you just made a great argument for why we should keep the system. If it only works in the playoffs or against good teams, we only have to be an 8 seed, more than attainable even with the "letdowns" 

The Devils played 'their game' yesterday.  They had the Sabres hemmed in their zone at several points and generated considerably more shot attempts than the Sabres.  The Devils have to play better in transition - all 3 of the Sabre goals were off transition - but they didn't play poorly because it wasn't against a division opponent or a bad team.  They played a solid game against a bad team because the Sabres are a bad team.  The goaltending couldn't bail them out.

I didn't read the whole thread and I didn't see either of the last two games, but from the game stories I've read and what I've read on here, it sounds like the Devils outplayed the Jets on Thursday and Sabres on Saturday but were done in by subpar Hedberg goaltending.  Considering how poorly the Devils had played in the few games before that, the improved play (if not improved result) the last two games is a good sign and may be an indication the Devils are about to come out of their slump and play more solidly again.  Also, when you're a team that relies on outworking the opposition, you want to make sure you have something left or can reach back for an extra gear come playoff time.  Considering the Devils' good but not great talent, their goal shouldn't be to be the #1 or #2 Eastern Conference playoff seed (though that would be nice); their goal should be to make the playoffs and elevate their play in the playoffs like they did last year when they significantly outplayed the Flyers and Rangers and reached the Cup Finals.

There's no need to panic just yet, though if what I've read is true, Hedberg needs to start playing better.

P.S. If Brodeur isn't available for Tuesday's game vs. Tampa Bay, IMO the Devils should start the kid they brought up from Albany in that game, regardless how Hedberg does on Monday against Toronto.

Edited by CHIP72

we may not get people out in front with our puck support mantra, but we feed the point well (even clarksy), it "should" result in rebounds, miller was all over those though. the system does get forwards and centers WAY deep offensively which puts the back check in peril. Id love to know the milage ours centres put in per game.  I would like to see more carry ins with speed to collapse the D a bit and find trailers.  not agreeing with the same personell, we lost a load of goals in zach and petr

we may not get people out in front with our puck support mantra, but we feed the point well (even clarksy), it "should" result in rebounds, miller was all over those though. the system does get forwards and centers WAY deep offensively which puts the back check in peril. Id love to know the milage ours centres put in per game.  I would like to see more carry ins with speed to collapse the D a bit and find trailers.  not agreeing with the same personell, we lost a load of goals in zach and petr

Still it's like 2 years ago, when the whole team is not producing... the problem is not the players. just saw on twitter that Bernier has as many 5 vs 5 goals as elias and kovy combined. 

our offensive system and breakouts are the problem, mostly cause the guys are just not executing it well, missing our 2 best forecheckers from last year and we're not creating as much scoring chances off of it.

the guys we're playing it perfectly last year CRUSHING teams, i barely saw the same intensity and game out of them this year.

Still it's like 2 years ago, when the whole team is not producing... the problem is not the players. just saw on twitter that Bernier has as many 5 vs 5 goals as elias and kovy combined. 

our offensive system and breakouts are the problem, mostly cause the guys are just not executing it well, missing our 2 best forecheckers from last year and we're not creating as much scoring chances off of it.

the guys we're playing it perfectly last year CRUSHING teams, i barely saw the same intensity and game out of them this year.

This. While the team has been playing better the last couple of games, the intensity and compete level isn't there. The breakout passing has been beyond sloppy and more often winds up on the other team's stick than connecting with one of our own players. Passing in general from the area of the top of our defensive circles to the red line has been ridiculously sloppy, almost comical. It's almost as though that's the brainfart zone for our team.

I always panic, but I[m more frustrated, we are creating a ton fo chances and not sscoring right now, Kovy & Zajak need to get it together.

and I[m sorry but Zid sucks, I cannot take him anymore, I'd rather see him benched then anyone else.  his is weak defensively and has been horrible on the PP.  if he cannot make the PP tick then what is his purpose here??

I always panic, but I[m more frustrated, we are creating a ton fo chances and not sscoring right now, Kovy & Zajak need to get it together.

and I[m sorry but Zid sucks, I cannot take him anymore, I'd rather see him benched then anyone else.  his is weak defensively and has been horrible on the PP.  if he cannot make the PP tick then what is his purpose here??

I'm actually at the point with Zidlicky where I miss Kurtis Foster. That's pretty sad.

bernier is the prototypical "devil system" player. he actually scored most of thos goals from behind the net.  patty looks to be missing zubie and clarkson has cooled way off.  kovy is attracting too much attention now he has 3 men on him in the O zone he needs a real compliment