Brian Rolston appreciation thread

RunninWithTheDevil

Felt this was necessary. Most of the fans here (including myself) quit on Brian. In the last few weeks he's gone from team goat to having preemptive cheers going up in the stands when he winds up for a shot. Let's be honest, given this season, and the waiver incident, he could've just decided to pack it in.

Felt this was necessary. Most of the fans here (including myself) quit on Brian. In the last few weeks he's gone from team goat to having preemptive cheers going up in the stands when he winds up for a shot. Let's be honest, given this season, and the waiver incident, he could've just decided to pack it in.

He could have, and it be pathetic. The bottom line is that Rolston hit rock bottom. He can use every excuse in the book, but he just flat out sucked. He was embarassed when not one team would take him on for half his contract.

He is playing well for the first time as a Devil, and I am happy. But I don't think he deserves appreciation for trying and having a good stretch...and oh maybe actually playing hard. It shouldn't have to take being waived twice and humiliated to start playing with some energy.

As some have mentioned in another thread...there is still a lot that Brian is doing wrong each game. He might be finding his name on the score sheet, but his overall game still needs a lot of work.

Edited by devilsrule33

Good for Rolston, and I hope he keeps it up. I may even start rooting for him.

I think the weakest link on this team right now is Arnott. The guy has completely given up on this team and is mailing it in. I understand he wants to go to a contender, but he could at least pretend to act like the professional he's supposed to be and still give this team his all.

Let's just cross our fingers that Rolly keeps it up and a team actually wants him. It's still not terribly likely I guess, but if some team thinks he might be able to play well next year, maybe they take a shot. Playing really well once the season is essentially over... I guess it's nice. But everything about NJ this year has come late, firing Mac, trading Langs, all should have happened earlier.

Anyway, best bet for this franchise remains--trade Arnott, trade Rolston, sign Parise.

This should be the Brian Rolston Depreciation Thread, to indicate how far Rolston's game has fallen that this level of play gets him a thumbs-up.

Sssshhhhhhhhh! Other teams' GMs might be reading.

Brian Rolston would be a great trade deadline acquisition for some lucky team out there. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if teams started sending Lou their bids now in an attempt to beat out the frenzy of offers he'll no doubt be getting as the deadline draws nearer.

This should be the Brian Rolston Depreciation Thread, to indicate how far Rolston's game has fallen that this level of play gets him a thumbs-up.

lol @ Triumph

Yeah I was about to post something equally snarky like "thanks for playing when it doesn't add up to jack sh!t."

I'll always appreciate how he showed up throughout our 2010-11 season and how he really stepped his game up in the postseason when we needed him against the Flyers.

He deserved to be quit on.

It's great that he's putting up some numbers FINALLY, but one nice 10-game burst from a points standpoint doesn't whitewash the 2.5 seasons of near worthlessness that came before it.

And I can't give him major kudos for not packing it in after the waiver fiasco. He's getting paid a whole lot of money, much of which he hasn't come close to earning...the least he could do is put in some effort. It's not like he's doing the Devils some great favor now. But at least the situation is win-win for both parties: the Devils finally get a semblance of the player they thought they were signing, and Rolston has at least a small chance of getting another team interested in him come deadline day.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

he had 20 goals last year and 15 before that. 17 assists both year. Thats what I expect from a 3rd/4th liner. He was injured 18 games in 08-09 and still came away

with a decent 32. Obviously he hasn't been fvcking amazing in points, let alone this season, but i feel like the only reason a lot of people have such hate for him is the contract.

He wasn't brought here to be a 3rd Liner and he (and his agent) knew that when they negotiated the contract.

I ain't going to cry a river for a guy who may as well have been showing up to games with a mask and a gun the way he's been robbing management for the last 2+ seasons.

Yes and it's where he's collecting the $5 million salary he demanded to come here. Hence "mask and gun."

This is just as much on Lou, but Rolston's the only one that can control the effort he puts in from night to night.

he had 20 goals last year and 15 before that. 17 assists both year. Thats what I expect from a 3rd/4th liner. He was injured 18 games in 08-09 and still came away

with a decent 32. Obviously he hasn't been fvcking amazing in points, let alone this season, but i feel like the only reason a lot of people have such hate for him is the contract.

First of all, as Risky pointed out, he wasn't brought here to be a 3rd/4th liner, he was brought here to score goals, preferably around 30 per year, which he had managed to do in four of his six previous seasons before coming to NJ. He was dropped to the lower lines due to lack of production.

32 points in 64 GP is not decent production, but I gave him a pass at the time due to his injury.

20 goals and 17 assists in 80 GP is pretty God-awful, especially when he didn't exactly seem to be playing with much fire. I don't know you can polish that turd.

Even with this 10-game, 13-point burst, his overall numbers on this season are nothing special.

Look, everyone's happy that this guy is finally doing something, how could we not be, but don't now try to make it sound like he was better than he really was before this turnaround, and that everyone's been unfairly picking on him. For the most part, he's been lousy since signing here.

I appreciate that Rolston has turned it on since every team in the league told him he wasn't even worth half his salary, but it makes me wonder if he was dogging it to get traded, or if he was simply just struggling and finally things are inexplicably working out.. I like to think the latter, because I hate to think someone would purposely do bad and his teammates (and Jacques) always said he was a top quality guy..

Either way, right now is all that matters so... GO ROLSTON!!