Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

In a perfect world we trade BOTH Duda and Ike were traded in the offseason (for relief pitching, however sketchy the return may have been) and just signed Jose Abreu...if only.

gun to my head if I had to pick one it would probably be Ike

I just don't know why Ike isn't getting the opportunity to show that his new plate-approach skills after his recall are permanent.  He drew a couple of walks yesterday and seems to be doing a better job not swinging at awful pitches.  At least there's the POSSIBILITY that he's turned a corner.  I'm not going to tell you that I have any great faith in him, but why not see if he's improved?

Duda is Duda.  Great, if he's a full-time guy, maybe he hits 20 HR.  He'll also strike out a lot (seemingly always in the biggest spots) and suck defensively no matter where you play him. 

Satin was a nice story last season, but he's clearly a backup and nothing more at the major-league level.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Gee's pitch count should probably be lowered to 90. I mean when he loses it he completely loses it. just no hope

whatever it is, 90-100 is an absolute crapshoot where every pitch might be a home run. Every pitch

Edited by '7'

Amateur fvcking Terry still hasn't figured out that Gee loses it after 90 pitches. 

ABOUT fvckING TIME TERRY YOU fvckING AMATEUR ZILCH...

oh wait, he can't make a move until his starter throws 100 pitches. 

They've hit a lot of balls hard off of Gee in general. This game could've gotten away earlier

All the more reason not to screw with leaving him in past 90 pitches.  When Gee is walking people, you know he's not on his game. 

All the more reason not to screw with leaving him in past 90 pitches.  When Gee is walking people, you know he's not on his game. 

90 pitches though, that's a starter though that will kill a bullpen. Every so often you need a guy who can give you 110 and Gee NEVER does that

Perfect throw to gun down Aybar at 3rd and Wright can't make the play. Come on already David. He needed to be more aggressive getting to that ball and slapping the tag on. Instead he let it eat him up

Rice comes in. Tagged immediately

Edited by '7'

Familia escapes with 2 innings, amazingly. 

Still can't see how he lasts in an MLB pen. His control is bottom of the scale and he doesn't miss any bats. 

Aybar slides in the hole and robs Wright of a hit with a superb throw. Of course he makes that play,ugh.

Walkoff hit by pitch, haha, of course.

Wouldn't care if they DFA'd Familia tomorrow. He's not going to have any MLB career. He's a ticking time bomb with his control and zero ability to miss MLB bats. 

Edited by nmigliore

Glad I shut it off and hopped into the shower before that happened. But not unexpected considering the things that normally happen to the mets (where every year is a 13 consecutive shootout loss year!)

How much more were you going to squeeze out of Familia anyway? 4 consecutive shutout innings is pretty good for our pen. Problem is the Mets only got a man to second ONCE after the 4th inning.

And Granderson is just atrocious now. Once you take the pinstripes off and put the cursed Mets uniform on, the magic suddenly disappears.

Edited by '7'

And Granderson is just atrocious now. Once you take the pinstripes off and put the cursed Mets uniform on, the magic suddenly disappears.

Honestly with Granderson you could see this coming a mile away...he's been a .230 hitter the last few years, and his power numbers were mostly saved by being in a stacked lineup with a bandbox to hit in.  People wanted to ignore last year because he was hurt most of the season but he was even this bad last year too.

I was kind of just hoping he'd hit .240-20-85 sadly

Crashed around 12:20...just couldn't stay awake anymore.  It was becoming more and more obvious that the Mets' offense was done for the day anyway...was just a matter of time before the Angels would score and end it.  10 hits for the Mets (first time they've reach that mark this season), but 10-for-41 isn't much to get excited over.

'7', re:  Gee, most rotations have a guy or two who isn't really a 100+ pitch guy.  You can afford to have a guy like Gee (who is often is good up until the 90 pitch mark) if the other guys can go further.  Unfortunately right now, you've got a couple of guys who are laboring in Wheeler and Mejia (100 pitches thrown by the 6th inning), and Niese is too delicate to ever be an innings guy.  So yeah, for the moment anyway, it looks like the Mets are going to be going to their bullpen for 3 innings in a lot of games.

re:  Familia, hopefully he's one of those guys we'll know about by the end of the season either way, but with players here getting seemingly endless chances, it won't surprise me if he's somehow in the mix again next season, regardless of what he does (he's still young, blah blah blah).

re:  Granderson...had potential disaster written all over it, and even worse, for a team that doesn't appear to have much to spend and is effectively a small-market franchise now (or sure runs itself like one), this could really be a major killer.  NJDevs4978, I would happily take .240-.320-20-85 from him...that was about the high point of what I was expecting.  Good news is I can't see him continuing to be THIS bad.  Hard not to think of Jason Bay right now though. 

Anybody notice what Marlon Byrd is doing in Philly?

yea...don't.

Come on, it's too early for that. He has a .771 OPS which was at .601 just two games ago - that tells you all you need to know about the validity of numbers this early.

Edited by nmigliore

Cowgill killing the Mets tonight.

Well yea, stuff like that happens multiple tines ever year. Also would like to preemptively congratulate Justin Turner on the game winning grand slam he's going to hit against us this year

man does this offense look ugly. And I don't know how much Chris Young is going to help. He'll hit some solo home runs but add to the K parade as well.

Edited by '7'