Bruins White House Visit

peteyvegas

Tim Thomas was invited to the White House as a Boston Bruin, to be honored for being Stanley Cup champs, he made a selfish decision, he dissed his team, team-mates, and the organization he works for.

As an American, he has a right to free speech and to vote, and should exercise those rights as an individual...not as a Bruin.

He's a friggen hockey player that makes millions of dollars and enjoys a life we could only dream of....grow up Tim.

Do you think Washington give's a sh!t about one hockey players no-show.

Edited by hargsy

The Bruins supported his descision passively. They don't agree with him obviously, but they could have made the trip mandatory if they thought it would be that detrimental to the team.

I think he's a fool and I disaprove of Obama... but he is still the President of the United States, and it's a great honor to be respected by the office of the Presidency. If Obama just randomly did this, I could almost see why he'd pass; but this is a time honored tradition.

Absolute Fool.

I volunteered for Obama, and while I don't think he's been perfect by any sretch of the imagination, I would still count myself as an ardent supporter, but I have no problem with what Thomas did. He had the balls to use his public standing to illustrate his displeasure. It's nowhere near Tommie Smith and John Carlos giving the black power salute at the olympics, but it's the first time in awhile an athlete has used his status to make some kind of stance, especially one which will be unpopular with many people and could cost him endorsement money. It's been said that dissent is patriotic, and I agree. If I had been put in the same position with Bush, I would have had a problem pretending to like/respect him, and I'm not sure what I would have done. I have no problem with Thomas making this decision. Especially since he did it with class and decorum. He kept it quiet, but had the decency to explain it.

Also, he won the Stanley Cup. He earned the benefits that come from that. If he views a White House visit as a penalty rather than a benefit, he shouldn't be forced to do it. Much as some people are viewing it as team bonding, I don't buy that Thomas skipping the visit will have a negative effect on him or his teammates.

but he is still the President of the United States, and it's a great honor to be respected by the office of the Presidency.

While I am no fan of President Obama, I agree with this sentiment. You may not respect the man or his political beliefs, but you need to respect the Office. Thomas probably should have gone. But, is this a big deal? No (although the political media is making it out to be one because its an election year and it gives them something to talk about other than Newt's 12 ex-wives). What pisses me off is, if you have the balls to refuse the invitation, then have the balls to stand up and say that you are a Republican and do not believe in the President's policies, want to take this opportunity to make a political statement (which this clearly was), and don't want to be in his company.

Edited by Chuck the Duck
  • Like 1

i respect his right to do it...

but i believe now the Bruins' trip to the White House will be remembered as "Thomas didn't go"and it does make him look like an ass for making it about himself rather than the team

I agree. it seems very self-important. It also seems disrespectful to his country not supportive of our troops or struggling citizens. His statement just doesn't work for me. I'm a little shocked though because this is the sort of sh!t that happens to Republicans :blink:

Personally - Presidents no matter how incompetent, corrupt, or out of touch they may seem are always worth meeting. They are amazing people to have reached the office. Short of his/her criminal insanity, I'd be hard pressed to NOT want to meet any nation's leader.

To steal a joke from Down Goes Brown - at least we finally know how to beat Tim Thomas: crowd him with left wingers and he won't even show up. :lol:

Niiiice

PS: Neids would have drove the team there himself in a hybrid van lol

Well... as an environmentalist I'd think Nieds would have plenty to take issue with when it comes to Obama. Buuuuut -- I also think Neids is more political than environmentalist actually --- so you're right. But it's all bullsh!t because Obama abandon the environment. That's the irony of the Solara thing....

even the pipeline thing -- I think is posturing to get Canada to give more - not any save the environment thing. I mean that's pretty obvious to all involved. (So all you Republicans - this is NOT bleeding heart liberal stuff - it would have flown through if the US stood to gain half as much as Canada).

I agree. it seems very self-important. It also seems disrespectful to his country not supportive of our troops or struggling citizens. His statement just doesn't work for me. I'm a little shocked though because this is the sort of sh!t that happens to Republicans :blink:

As a servicemember, I can tell you that myself and all of my hockey-loving shipmates don't see it as a slight to the military / citizens / nation. (Small sample size obviously but still)

The man just didn't want to go there because he doesn't agree with the direction the country is headed. I see nothing wrong with him making that choice. He has displayed his patriotism for the country many times, so I don't think that reaction is what he intended by doing this.

As a servicemember, I can tell you that myself and all of my hockey-loving shipmates don't see it as a slight to the military / citizens / nation. (Small sample size obviously but still)

The man just didn't want to go there because he doesn't agree with the direction the country is headed. I see nothing wrong with him making that choice. He has displayed his patriotism for the country many times, so I don't think that reaction is what he intended by doing this.

I'm really glad you feel that way.

I personally see it as his duty as a public representative. You DO have a role when you strive to become a celebrated public figure for any reason. To me it is his duty to show up and shake hands with a smile on his face. How would you feel if Obama publicly refused to have the Stanley Cup winners to the White House because he felt the sport was too violent? It's his right to do so - and it's fine to respect his balls calling out the sport like that... but it's COMPLETELY inappropriate. They have a responsibility above their role as an average US citizen makin' a statement. :rolleyes:

Everyone is SOOO self important. SUCK IT UP! WHo GIVES A sh!t WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY???? Any public figure has a responsibility to not alienate people doing something out of the ordinary. A hockey player HAS indeed chosen to be a public figure. And if Thomas thinks hes not and that this isn't part of his responsibility he should have called in sick. If he thinks he's got this wonderful opportunity to speak out -- well what a horses ass he is. Niedermayer shook George W. Bush's hand enough. THAT is honor. The other is just as I keep saying self important self-indulgent bullsh!t.

I'm glad it's not offending anyone all the same. I'm not offended. I just think he's a jackass of the first water!

Edited by Pepperkorn

I'm really glad you feel that way.

I personally see it as his duty as a public representative. You DO have a role when you strive to become a celebrated public figure for any reason. To me it is his duty to show up and shake hands with a smile on his face. How would you feel if Obama publicly refused to have the Stanley Cup winners to the White House because he felt the sport was too violent? It's his right to do so - and it's fine to respect his balls calling out the sport like that... but it's COMPLETELY inappropriate. They have a responsibility above their role as an average US citizen makin' a statement. :rolleyes:

Everyone is SOOO self important. SUCK IT UP! WHo GIVES A sh!t WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY???? Any public figure has a responsibility to not alienate people doing something out of the ordinary. A hockey player HAS indeed chosen to be a public figure. And if Thomas thinks hes not and that this isn't part of his responsibility he should have called in sick. If he thinks he's got this wonderful opportunity to speak out -- well what a horses ass he is. Niedermayer shook George W. Bush's hand enough. THAT is honor. The other is just as I keep saying self important self-indulgent bullsh!t.

I'm glad it's not offending anyone all the same. I'm not offended. I just think he's a jackass of the first water!

Fair enough & valid points.

The Devils history with this:

Stanley_Cup_Bush_Devils.jpg

The President's Remarks

Jason Arnott has also scored a Cup-winning overtime goal, but he's still waiting for his date at the White House.

"We never went," said Arnott, who helped the New Jersey Devils claim the Stanley Cup in 2000 with a goal in the second overtime of Game 6 against Dallas. [General Manager] Lou [Lamoriello] wouldn't fly us special there if it didn't work with our schedule. It is one of the most disappointing things in my life. It was horrible. It was great winning the Cup, but I never got to meet the President.

"I remember [scott] Niedermayer and I were holding out for a new contract [at the beginning of the 2000-01 season] and I was just praying to God that they didn't go to see the President when we were not playing and they never ended up doing it. The times we were here in Washington the President was never here and [Lamoriello] never wanted to take an extra day and do it on its own."

bill-clinton.jpg

The President's Remarks

NY Times:

Coach Jacques Lemaire did not make the trip, and neither did Claude Lemieux, the most valuable player in the playoffs who was singled out for praise by the President. In fact, only nine players showed up to greet President Clinton for the brief ceremony in the East Room of the White House.