Devils Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

This thread isn't meant for league wide speculation or news, but just what NJ is doing. With the trade deadline a month away, things are going to start to happen.

We've talked a lot about Jagr and Zidlicky but with Bernier's recent surge and Gomez staying around.6 ppg, there may be some more Devils to be had.

Curious what people think Bernier and Gomez could garner

This thread isn't meant for league wide speculation or news, but just what NJ is doing. With the trade deadline a month away, things are going to start to happen.

We've talked a lot about Jagr and Zidlicky but with Bernier's recent surge and Gomez staying around.6 ppg, there may be some more Devils to be had.

Curious what people think Bernier and Gomez could garner

They're worth keeping. They're not going to bring back much of anything.

• Like 1

Lou will not trade Gomez, and the Devils should not trade Steve Bernier. If anything they should offer Bernier a 3 year deal, he is someone who has talent, and if he is put in the right situation will succeed.

During a recent presser, Lou made a comment about wanting to get back to the interchangeable parts dynamic. No one fits that bill better than Steve Bernier.

Everyone except Henrique, Cory, Severson, Merril and Larsson should be for-sale.

I don't care if Gomez brings back a 5th round pick - it's an asset for a player that has no future here with the Devils.

And a three year deal for Bernier, :lol: give me a break.

As devils fans do we believe Bernier is suddenly for real?

I hope his opinion isn't shared by most logical Devils fans.

Anyone on the list year of their deal should be dealt. End of story. Yes, if they move Zidlicky, jagr, Gomez, Bernier, Ryder, and Havlat all they'll be left with a truly awful team. But they need assets for the future and with cap issues abounding for many teams next year, guys on expiring contracts will be valuable.

I doubt anyone around the league would even want Gomez. He's only really had success with us. He was almost useless to Florida, San Jose, and Montreal.

Blues fans on hf seem to think Jagr and Zids would fit in well for a playoff run and some think Rattie and a pick would do it. I'm hoping the gm's agree. Maybe Marty can do us a favor while he's there and get us a good deal.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Everyone except Henrique, Cory, Severson, Merril and Larsson should be for-sale.

I don't care if Gomez brings back a 5th round pick - it's an asset for a player that has no future here with the Devils.

And a three year deal for Bernier, :lol: give me a break.

I hope his opinion isn't shared by most logical Devils fans.

Logical devils fans? He's had a good stretch, he's been in the league for how long? I would hope any logical person wouldn't just jump to the conclusion that he's suddenly the real deal.

Could he keep it up, yea. Has he been valuable to us at times in a 4th line role? Yea. Is he some untradeable piece that is key to our future, no.

Take your snark somewhere else bro.

Logical devils fans? He's had a good stretch, he's been in the league for how long? I would hope any logical person wouldn't just jump to the conclusion that he's suddenly the real deal.

Could he keep it up, yea. Has he been valuable to us at times in a 4th line role? Yea. Is he some untradeable piece that is key to our future, no.

Take your snark somewhere else bro.

Should've made this more clear - I agree with you.

"His" was referring to the guy above you.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I'm not Bernier's biggest fan but he has come back strongly this season after being just awful last year.  He's a guy who needs to stay in the 4th line role.  With his kind of game he seems to excel and be productive in that role.  When he's put up against faster and more skilled players on the upper lines, he looks atrociously bad.  

I'm fine with him in the 4th line role.  The 4th line with Gionta out has been significantly better.  

I don't see what we gain by adding Phaneuf and it's probably Garrioch "throw it against the wall" type of rumor mongering.  We don't even have something worth trading that would make the Leafs willing to retain some salary or take back a bad contract.  I mean I suppose you could stiff Zubrus or Ruutu on them for just next year.  But keep in mind in a few years, guys like Larsson and Merrill are going to need significant raises and Phaneuf will be highly paid and probably regressing.

I think Garrioch is way off on his Brodeur/Lou comments.  That's totally not the vibe/read I get.  Probably got that snippet from Sather.  LOL.  

I don't think Bernier garners anything and I don't think he is worth trading. The Devils have literally 0 signed at RW organizationally next year - he's a perfectly fine 4th line guy - keep him.

No reason they can't re-sign him in the offseason. Not like he's gonna have a market. I wouldn't trade him if all you're getting is a 5th or something. But if you could get a 3rd for him, I would absolutely do it

Lou will not trade Gomez, and the Devils should not trade Steve Bernier. If anything they should offer Bernier a 3 year deal, he is someone who has talent, and if he is put in the right situation will succeed.

During a recent presser, Lou made a comment about wanting to get back to the interchangeable parts dynamic. No one fits that bill better than Steve Bernier.

I think that if Gomer was presented an opportunity by a playoff bound team? i think he would surely consider it. I think that's the case w/ Jags/Zids too. If someones pp guy goes down & they desperately need someone to step in (at the right price) he may garner interest. 

On Bernier, I think he's having a good run now, but he'll peter out and go back to the same ole Bernier we grew to hope Lou doesn't resign.  Be careful what you wish for.  

I think that if Gomer was presented an opportunity by a playoff bound team? i think he would surely consider it. I think that's the case w/ Jags/Zids too. If someones pp guy goes down & they desperately need someone to step in (at the right price) he may garner interest. 

On Bernier, I think he's having a good run now, but he'll peter out and go back to the same ole Bernier we grew to hope Lou doesn't resign.  Be careful what you wish for.  

Bernier is the prototypical bottom 6 winger. Players like him are not why we were losing games earlier in the year.

Just saw this posted on hf but according to the Ottawa Sun we are interested in Phaneuf.

http://m.ottawasun.com/2015/01/31/arizona-coyotes-are-open-for-business-but-opposing-gms-wont-find-many-bargains?token=f46bc3c9f11b1e1ad5f8815d4caabe1f

Doubt it's true though.

You can kind of tell that this guy is either making stuff up, or he talks to people who are interns with teams and calls them "executives."

First, if anything happens to Lou, it won't be because of Marty. And if anything, the new owners were the ones that pushed Marty out the door.

Then there's the Phaneuf nonsense. Unless his "source" told him the Devils would take him if they also received a second round pick in return, or the Leafs pay half of his salary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk