The Movies thread!

CRASHER

As for upcoming (summer) movies, it is looking pretty bleak. District 9 is coming in a couple of weeks and the latest trailers have peaked my interest some, but I'm still on the fence about whether or not I want to see it. Other than that, there is a surprising lack of cool summer movies for August.

...keep the faith bro. Five Minutes of Heaven, Taxidermia, and Balibo all look promising. Although Taxidermia is an ominous one, as the movie was made 3 years ago in Hungary, and has only now been imported for release in the US. The Collector (aka: The Strangers 2) looks kinda campy. However if you're looking for blood, blood, & more blood... it seems to be just the ticket to satisfy one's creepy impetus.

-And yes... despite the Hollywood glow, I am pumped for `D9! The plot looks pretty sweet, and you can't go wrong with Peter Jackson. (and c'mon... what kind of a summer would it be without an alien movie??) ;)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's funny, I had the exact same reaction to Public Enemies, which I just saew last night. I posted a full review in the other movie thread but the above sums up my feelings almost too perfectly.

Yeah they really dropped the ball with this one. The acting was average, the dialogue was average, the character development was actually below average. They didn't do enough with Dillinger's escape with the fake gun. They didn't make enough of how Dillinger never stole the money of the people, just the banks. So much potential, but so little to show for it.

And I know people like to get on Christian Bale, but I think the guy is a good actor. It seems to be the cool thing to do now to hate on the guy for his Batman voice. We get it, you don't like it, move on. It's one small aspect of one character he plays. But the guy really is talented. 3:10 to Yuma changed the way I look at him as an actor. But, just like everyone else in this movie, he fell short. I thought the only noteworthy acting performance was turned in by John Ortiz, but he was far from being a main enough of a character to have carried this movie.

And I know people like to get on Christian Bale, but I think the guy is a good actor. It seems to be the cool thing to do now to hate on the guy for his Batman voice. We get it, you don't like it, move on. It's one small aspect of one character he plays. But the guy really is talented. 3:10 to Yuma changed the way I look at him as an actor. But, just like everyone else in this movie, he fell short. I thought the only noteworthy acting performance was turned in by John Ortiz, but he was far from being a main enough of a character to have carried this movie.

All you need do is rent American Psycho to see this too :P

The dude can act, he's just over exposed at this point

Public Enemies doesn't open here until Thursday, but it seems that the general opinion here is in line with my expectations. I was not very impressed by the trailer, and the plot seems like fairly standard cops-and-robbers. Also, the whole HD thing, which worked perfect in Collateral and Miami Vice, does not seem right to me for a movie set in the 30's. I will see it on opening day though, because it will still be better than 90% of the other summer movies this year.

Fair point on Bale...I've yet to see 3:10 to Yuma and American Psycho, so I should probably hold my ire for him until then. I actually have American Psycho sitting on my shelf courtesy of my brother lending it to me, and feels the same as you do about Bale, so maybe my judgments are a touch premature.

As for 3:10, that is so going on my Netflix list...that's one of those I was psyched about when it first came out and then completely forgot about.

Fair point on Bale...I've yet to see 3:10 to Yuma and American Psycho, so I should probably hold my ire for him until then. I actually have American Psycho sitting on my shelf courtesy of my brother lending it to me, and feels the same as you do about Bale, so maybe my judgments are a touch premature.

As for 3:10, that is so going on my Netflix list...that's one of those I was psyched about when it first came out and then completely forgot about.

CRASHER was right to bring up American Psycho. He's incredible in that. Sometimes actors can play one style of character very well and I was almost afraid Bale was that kind of actor. He's good in most movies, blah in others, but the job he did in 3:10 to Yuma was exceptional IMO. Russell Crowe was really good in that one too, come to think of it, and he's another guy I've always been kinda torn on.

I also heard great things about Bale in The Machinist, but I've never seen it.

Saw funny people...I thought it delivered well... it never got too serious and stayed true to the characters, Rogen was wayyy funnier then Sandler though, but all in all another good movie in a crap season!

Just got back from Funny People. My first thought is ... GOD DAMN that movie was long. Coulda been way shorter.

Aside from that, it was typical Apatow. Really funny while actually having well-developed characters and plot lines. I actually thought it got a little too serious toward the end and some of the scenes looked like Apatow is starting to plagiarize himself, but all in all it was a good flick.

I probably wasn't the only one who saw District 9 and I thought it was good but not great. If this wasn't done as a small indie flick I think the reviewers would have been indifferent to it but they wanted to love the small movie with heart by a bunch of first timers, IMO.

Anyone see The Goods Yet? Wondering how it was. It looks hysterical.

I was mildly intrigued..... and then they hosted Raw... and now I want to see them die... from the box office... I wasn't the only one to think so :lol;

I was mildly intrigued..... and then they hosted Raw... and now I want to see them die... from the box office... I wasn't the only one to think so :lol;

I too was mildly intrigued until I read the deluge of poor reviews for it. Besides, nothing this summer will be as funny as the Hangover. Everything else will have to settle for second best.

OK... so I saw District 9.... I loved the documentary POV of the movie.... I found myself liking and pulling for the characters (means the movie did it's job)... I could have done without the tribute to the fly in the movie....but I thought it was a smart well done movie that told a fascinating story through out... it was a bit trippy..... but it was a damn good movie!!! :thumbsup:

I also saw District 9 last night and it was pretty brilliant. Easily the best movie I've seen this summer. I'm going write a full review of it in the other thread, but it's the perfect marriage of an independent spirt with a big budget production. Im not a huge fan of sci fi by any strech but it's not only the best science fiction movie I've ever seen, it pretty much redefines my ideas of what science fiction should be.

I also saw District 9 last night and it was pretty brilliant. Easily the best movie I've seen this summer. I'm going write a full review of it in the other thread, but it's the perfect marriage of an independent spirt with a big budget production. Im not a huge fan of sci fi by any strech but it's not only the best science fiction movie I've ever seen, it pretty much redefines my ideas of what science fiction should be.

It was definitely in my top 5... a good movie in a summer of a lot of not-so-good ones....

1. Star Trek

2. the Hangover

3. Orphan (seriously, it was the sh!t)

4. District 9

I kinda hope Inglorious Bastards makes this list too... it was fun looking!

The "big name" movies (yes I mean YOU Transformers and T-4) REALLY let me down this year.....