GDT-Devils @ Hurricanes-7PM

Renato Rodrigues

Just a couple of nice "simple" numbers:

Zajac now has 10 goals and 14 assists in his last 28 GP.  Whatever you want to chalk that up to (better puck luck, etc), it's great to see that he may still have it in him to provide 50-60 points' worth of offense (especially if he's skating with the right guys).  The Devils flat-out need that from him.

Also great to see Cory's numbers inching towards where they were before the post-Olympic skid (looking more and more like that layoff played a role in his going cold).  Now up to .918 in save% and down to 2.02 in GAA on the season.  Two goals allowed or less in each of his last 6 GP (just seven overall), including none of course in the game against Florida that Marty "won" (kind of funny that if Cory allows one goal in that game, he gets the win). 

I don't want to see Marty in net unless the Devils are eliminated from playoff contention.  There's two days of rest coming after the Calgary game.  Cory's more than earned the rest of the "relevant" games from here on out.  Even if Cory has a rough one on Tuesday, for ONCE, I'd like to see Marty not get the savior treatment. 

And of course, as the anti-Marty fanatics are finally seeing, the system has been fair all along. Marty sh!ts the bed and so he sits. It wasn't even so much his fault this time around but he sits, because Cory is much more solid.

And of course, as the anti-Marty fanatics are finally seeing, the system has been fair all along. Marty sh!ts the bed and so he sits. It wasn't even so much his fault this time around but he sits, because Cory is much more solid.

lol fair, it took seventy-five games (and four straight losses followed by nearly blowing a four-goal lead) to have a 'second' stretch where the best goalie plays.

Do you know what fair means because this wasn't it

you're insane.  the devils are going to miss the playoffs by 1 or 2 points and it's because of how much Brodeur played and you're going to sit here and defend the insane process that led to this.  There is absolutely no consistent logic to how the goalies have been selected this year.  Why wouldn't Brodeur get Friday's game?  Schneider didn't play that well on Tuesday and he didn't win, seems like a great opportunity to go back to Brodeur, who has been pretty good in March.  I don't even think Brodeur played that poorly against Florida.  It's been arbitrary all year long.

Edited by Triumph

you're insane.  the devils are going to miss the playoffs by 1 or 2 points and it's because of how much Brodeur played and you're going to sit here and defend the insane process that led to this.  There is absolutely no consistent logic to how the goalies have been selected this year.  Why wouldn't Brodeur get Friday's game?  Schneider didn't play that well on Tuesday and he didn't win, seems like a great opportunity to go back to Brodeur, who has been pretty good in March.  I don't even think Brodeur played that poorly against Florida.  It's been arbitrary all year long.

Enough with the "Devils are going to miss the playoffs because of Brodeur" horsesh!t." It is the most myopic and delusional thing I have ever seen written on this board. I'm sure if the Devils had Sydney Crosby we would have made the playoffs too, or if the team chose better sticks. The team will miss the playoffs because they didn't succeed as a team. They repeatedly failed to score goals and lost 11 shootouts, winning none.

Marty didn't play that bad against Florida, but that wasn't the issue. Both goaltenders were playing with pretty similar numbers over the past month or so - as soon as Debo got the chance, he went back to Cory. Cory has played 10 more games this season than he ever has before. There is a complete logic to to the scheduling of the goaltenders, to deny that is ludicrous - like Pete actually reached into a hat every night. It has been clear to me this whole season. Ya'll just want to be incredulous when Marty is announced as the starter.

If the Devils miss the playoffs by 2 points or less to the jackets, that early season game in Columbus where Brodeur literally let in 5 softies in a 5-4 loss will be the difference

Or any of the times our offense couldn't muster one goal, or the terrible shootouts.

People around here sure like being able to put the blame on one guy.

Or any of the times our offense couldn't muster one goal, or the terrible shootouts.

To be fair, it's easiest to point at the Marty starts because they were actually something that could be controlled directly by the Devils. Shootouts and scoring depend on luck and on how the other team is playing, but starting Marty or Cory is a 100% in the Devils' (well, Pete's) control. Yes, there were many places where we lost points this year but the Marty one is 100% on us and that makes it stand out as the worst, to me at least.

How about both current wild card teams were from the WEST when the NHL made the dumb a$$ move to unbalance the conferences. Just another reason to love the NHL. 

Enough with the "Devils are going to miss the playoffs because of Brodeur" horsesh!t." It is the most myopic and delusional thing I have ever seen written on this board. I'm sure if the Devils had Sydney Crosby we would have made the playoffs too, or if the team chose better sticks. The team will miss the playoffs because they didn't succeed as a team. They repeatedly failed to score goals and lost 11 shootouts, winning none.

Marty didn't play that bad against Florida, but that wasn't the issue. Both goaltenders were playing with pretty similar numbers over the past month or so - as soon as Debo got the chance, he went back to Cory. Cory has played 10 more games this season than he ever has before. There is a complete logic to to the scheduling of the goaltenders, to deny that is ludicrous - like Pete actually reached into a hat every night. It has been clear to me this whole season. Ya'll just want to be incredulous when Marty is announced as the starter.

There is no consistent logic.  There's a half logic but absolutely no consistent logic.  There is no reason why Brodeur started against Winnipeg.  There's no real reason why he started against the Islanders in March.  The only reasons for a lot of Brodeur's starts are 'We for some reason think he is as good as Cory Schneider'.

Haha yeah, the difference between a .920 goalie and a .900 one is probably something between 6-8 points.  Devils are comfortably in the playoffs if Schneider starts 60 games. I can think of several games Brodeur blew and this is only off the top of my head

@EDM

2 CBJ games

@ Ottawa in the beginning of the year

Outdoor game

@PHX

It's definitely not one guy to blame, but the Devils were more likely to gain a point or 2 on their record if Schneider had played more.

You can probably argue 3 or possibly even 4, but nothing more than that...and of course, if the Devils had been able to put home more than three friggin' shootout goals (and had won just 4 or 5 shootouts), we're not focusing as much on Marty not being good anymore.  But yeah, he's one of several reasons why the Devils are on the outside looking in. 

There is no consistent logic.  There's a half logic but absolutely no consistent logic.  There is no reason why Brodeur started against Winnipeg.  There's no real reason why he started against the Islanders in March.  The only reasons for a lot of Brodeur's starts are 'We for some reason think he is as good as Cory Schneider'.

This is at least the legitimate part of your argument. Though, I don't see this at all. To me it was "Well, Cory is better but he isn't playing that well so let's play Marty." I will concede that in the beginning of the season it was probably "Cory isn't the starter yet, one of them has to win the job."

You can probably argue 3 or possibly even 4, but nothing more than that...and of course, if the Devils had been able to put home more than three friggin' shootout goals (and had won just 4 or 5 shootouts), we're not focusing as much on Marty not being good anymore.  But yeah, he's one of several reasons why the Devils are on the outside looking in. 

Totally agree with this. We may have less points for starting Marty, but there are many reasons why we have less points. That was the point of my last post. In the end, while Marty has a bad save percentage, the defense has made up for that by preventing shots. Thus, the Devils have allowed relatively few goals this season. If the team played better as a whole, notably in the goal-scoring dept., we would be a playoff team.

Edited by Neb00rs

This is at least the legitimate part of your argument. Though, I don't see this at all. To me it was "Well, Cory is better but he isn't playing that well so let's play Marty." I will concede that in the beginning of the season it was probably "Cory isn't the starter yet, one of them has to win the job."

Totally agree with this. We may have less points for starting Marty, but there are many reasons why we have less points. That was the point of my last post. In the end, while Marty has a bad save percentage, the defense has made up for that by preventing shots. Thus, the Devils have allowed relatively few goals this season. If the team played better as a whole, notably in the goal-scoring dept., we would be a playoff team.

I definitely want to make clear that I think Marty absolutely got too many games, and unfortunately that was because the situation became more and more Messier-like as the season went on, in a lot of ways:

1) Marty probably had a little too much power all-around...that being said, you only ever get that kind of power if you're very, very good for a long, long time.  So it all goes back to the same thing:  If someone told you that you could have a guy play for your team for roughly two decades and that he'd help you win multiple championships and set several records (some for being terrific and some for being ridiculously durable), but you'd have to deal with a couple of rough years at the end and a not-so-graceful exit, would you take it?  Of course you would. 

2) PDB probably knows deep down that Schneider is better than Brodeur, but just like Marty's teammates who have to cover for him and act like his overall performance isn't what it is, PDB's gotta lie through his teeth and make it sound like Marty's still terrific.  I'm not saying Marty's teammates should ever come out and say "Marty sucked tonight and cost us a win", even when it's true, but at the same time, when they're all saying things akin to Marty still being Marty and how they have two great goalies...we know that they can't possibly feel that way.  I think PDB said what he did about save% not meaning anything to him mostly to ward off questions about the obvious before they can even be asked or repeated.  PDB is not an idiot...of course he knows the guy stopping two to three percent more shots is the better puck-stopper.  But the only way not to trample on a legend who's used to playing a lot is to play him less without being "insulting" about it...which means a guy who probably should've only started 30 games (tops) somehow gets 37...which means he's getting games along the way that he shouldn't get...and round and round we go.   

3) You have to deal with more quotes in the media than you ever really wanted to hear, some of which are just honesty, and some of which come off very badly.  Players are people too...it would surprise if me some of Marty's teammates were thinking "Geez, will you just shut up already."  That kind of plays into #2, in that no one will dare say how they REALLY feel, both out of respect for Marty and his career, and for not wanting to come off badly.  No one is going to call Marty out on anything.       

Haha yeah, the difference between a .920 goalie and a .900 one is probably something between 6-8 points.  Devils are comfortably in the playoffs if Schneider starts 60 games. I can think of several games Brodeur blew and this is only off the top of my head

@EDM

2 CBJ games

@ Ottawa in the beginning of the year

Outdoor game

@PHX

I can't recall those other games specifically, but I guess you watched a different outdoor game than the rest of us because 3 and actually probably 4 were definitely not his fault in that game.  Virtually every time the Rags had the puck it was an odd-man-rush into our zone.  If you think otherwise, well, then, that says a lot.

I can't recall those other games specifically, but I guess you watched a different outdoor game than the rest of us because 3 and actually probably 4 were definitely not his fault in that game.  Virtually every time the Rags had the puck it was an odd-man-rush into our zone.  If you think otherwise, well, then, that says a lot.

I think that's part of the problem, not saying it's your in particular, but some Devils fans have become very comfortable with their goalie rarely making an outstanding save, when most NHL goalies routinely make outstanding saves.  An NHL goalie needs to make every regular save and a few saves that are unbelievable to have a really good NHL game.  A goalie that is just making the regular saves and missing most of the really hard ones is a little below average.  The goalie that is missing some of the regular saves and missing most of the really hard ones is very below average.

I definitely want to make clear that I think Marty absolutely got too many games, and unfortunately that was because the situation became more and more Messier-like as the season went on, in a lot of ways:

1) Marty probably had a little too much power all-around...that being said, you only ever get that kind of power if you're very, very good for a long, long time.  So it all goes back to the same thing:  If someone told you that you could have a guy play for your team for roughly two decades and that he'd help you win multiple championships and set several records (some for being terrific and some for being ridiculously durable), but you'd have to deal with a couple of rough years at the end and a not-so-graceful exit, would you take it?  Of course you would. 

2) PDB probably knows deep down that Schneider is better than Brodeur, but just like Marty's teammates who have to cover for him and act like his overall performance isn't what it is, PDB's gotta lie through his teeth and make it sound like Marty's still terrific.  I'm not saying Marty's teammates should ever come out and say "Marty sucked tonight and cost us a win", even when it's true, but at the same time, when they're all saying things akin to Marty still being Marty and how they have two great goalies...we know that they can't possibly feel that way.  I think PDB said what he did about save% not meaning anything to him mostly to ward off questions about the obvious before they can even be asked or repeated.  PDB is not an idiot...of course he knows the guy stopping two to three percent more shots is the better puck-stopper.  But the only way not to trample on a legend who's used to playing a lot is to play him less without being "insulting" about it...which means a guy who probably should've only started 30 games (tops) somehow gets 37...which means he's getting games along the way that he shouldn't get...and round and round we go.   

3) You have to deal with more quotes in the media than you ever really wanted to hear, some of which are just honesty, and some of which come off very badly.  Players are people too...it would surprise if me some of Marty's teammates were thinking "Geez, will you just shut up already."  That kind of plays into #2, in that no one will dare say how they REALLY feel, both out of respect for Marty and his career, and for not wanting to come off badly.  No one is going to call Marty out on anything.       

Why does it matter if the players/coach have to 'lie through their teeth'? The point is that the amount of games Marty played was just not that devastating and not really a big deal. sh!tty or not, when Marty played the team still had a good GAA (even if Marty himself sucked) and did enough defensively to make the playoffs. The issue is not in arguing whether Marty has power around here or whether Cory should have started more games, it is that Marty has become the scapegoat for some posters this season with very little reasoning behind it. I mean, you take Marty off this team and we are just a fvckin' juggernaut no?

We are currently 3 points behind the blue jackets.

Marty literally threw away a win we had against them, that's a 4 point swing and our spot in the playoffs. If we had half way decent goal tending that game we win.

That's just one direct example of how Marty being in net has directly impacted our playoff chances.

That as far as I'm concerned can go in the realm of Marty playing to many games. He's not our best option in net, and consistently playing him when we are sitting a better goalie has a negative impact on our team. Sorry you don't have the brain capacity to comprehend that. Does the shoot out thing play a part in our situation? Sure, but we can't make the team not suck at the skills competition, we could however have played the far superior goalie more than 50/50 with a sh!tty aged version of broduer.

Everyone's perception of this team would be different if we were in a playoff spot, we will likely end the season a win or 2 behind. Wins we would have with Cory in net. People wouldn't be down on that team if that was the story.

Edited by Sneax

Why does it matter if the players/coach have to 'lie through their teeth'? The point is that the amount of games Marty played was just not that devastating and not really a big deal. sh!tty or not, when Marty played the team still had a good GAA (even if Marty himself sucked) and did enough defensively to make the playoffs. The issue is not in arguing whether Marty has power around here or whether Cory should have started more games, it is that Marty has become the scapegoat for some posters this season with very little reasoning behind it. I mean, you take Marty off this team and we are just a fvckin' juggernaut no?

It is a huge deal.  Brodeur is bad and GAA is a terrible stat.  There is reasoning because literally all Coach Deboer has to do is write a different name and the team gets better.  That was it.  Write down a different name 10 times and NJ is probably in the playoffs this year.  Is it a great team?  No, but it's a team that can go somewhere maybe if they get some shooting luck, because they have an elite goalie.  One that they paid a 9th overall pick for and then sat on the bench for half the year.

Edited by Triumph