Best NJ Devil you Met

grcenter47

I met Chico last January in the Nashville airport (the morning after Shanny's first game back). I had a 20 or so minute conversation with him about hockey until he got a call from one of the producers at MSG+ if he had boarded the plane yet. He may have his quirks, but Chico is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Not to go in the negative direction but I've always heard Elias isn't too great with fans.. Which is sad because he's my favorite player.. I've kind of avoided meeting him because I'm afraid the rumors will be true and it will end up crushing my view of him

Elias has never disappointed me. My two favourites that I've met are Grant Marshall and Brian Rolston. Both took time to chat with me and thanked me for being a fan (Marshall thanked me for making his day actually and others were there for proof). Langenbrunner, Zajac, Janssen, Brylin, Shanahan, White and Clarkson were some of my other favorites.

WORST, HANDS DOWN: John Madden. Wish him the worst wherever he goes. Just a jerk. I've never met Jason Arnott, but heard the same about him during his time in NJ. I've also heard that he was great in Edmonton.

• Like 1

I've met dozens of players of the last ten years or so, but if I had to pick just one it would be... wait for it.... Cam Janssen.

It was the night that he

. My little brother and I saw him walking out of the CAA with a blonde on one arm, and a brunette on the other. No lie, I have the pics. He actually talked to us for a good fifteen minutes outside in the cold March night after the game, and his goomahs were nice as well. He signed a bunch of stuff for us, took pictures, and gave some checking tips to my little brother, and when we busted on him about the Kaberle hit earlier in the night, he took it all in stride. From what I hear, people complain about Cam for being a Neanderthal, but he never turned down a fan, unlike some of our current and former "superstars".

I have only met Chico. He was sitting right behind me on the plane from Chicago to Minny on new years day. We talked for a good half hour before I figured he was tired. He forgot that the Winter Classic was that day too. Really nice guy.

A friend of mines' aunt dated Matvichuk and he said Parise was a womanizer...I believe this was back in 07. I have heard a lot of bad things about both Elias and Brodeur.

WORST, HANDS DOWN: John Madden. Wish him the worst wherever he goes. Just a jerk. I've never met Jason Arnott, but heard the same about him during his time in NJ. I've also heard that he was great in Edmonton.

Really? If you don't mind me asking, what happened? My aunt works at a hospital he used to frequent all the time (to visit kids), so she got to know him pretty well, and said he's a really nice guy.

Cam was great. The guy loved to be a hockey player, and loved the fans from what I saw. I was bummed when he got traded. My friend handed her Gionta jersey to him to sign. He looked at the name and asked if he should cross it out and put his.

Chico always makes time. I've seen him scurrying to make it to the announce table before a game but then stop to talk to a fan. Once he had to cut through the lower bowl to make it in time, haha. (May have been before Kovy's first game. He was as excited as everyone.)

Weekes was cool... a friend of mine met him in the beginning of the 07-08 season and told him he was doing better than Marty so far (I think he had the first win of the year a few nights before). He said he'd try to keep it up.

McAlpine signed my 1995 Cup Peluso jersey, and seemed honored to have been asked. When I thanked him, he thanked us for coming out. (It was a snowy night.)

Peluso signed it too and seemed happily surprised to see his name on it.

I saw Dano at the AHL All-Star game in January. I had seats next to the bench. Some sticks fell, and he was straightening them with one of his giant Cup rings on. The ring was right in my face on the other side of the glass. He caught me staring, saw my Devils hat and nodded approvingly.

Dowd was also great, as was Pando even after we joked with him about the Red Sawx. I met Frazee and Eckford briefly at the 2009 and 2010 AHL All Star skills competitions. Both seemed cool.

I met Chico one time too, on the concourse during intermission back at CAA. My buddy and I were talking to him when an exchange like this went down:

My Buddy - So when are we all gonna be able to buy Chico throwbacks?

Chico - What do you mean?

MB - You can't buy Devils throwback jerseys.

C - You can't? What?!

MB - Nope. Team policy or something. You can't get them anywhere.

C - Well, I'm gonna have to talk to Lou about this!

Next time I bump into Chico, I'm gonna have to ask him to talk to Lou about getting me free season tickets or something. :lol:

I was able to meet Marty at the NHL store a couple of years ago for a signing he did and he was pretty nice. I got to meet Chico, Danyo and Marshall at a charity hockey game in Brigdewater and they were real nice, Chico even asked me if his auto was acceptable on the puck he sgned for me and I met Driver at a bar down the street from the Rock and got him to sign this huge 16x20 piece I was working on. Then I promptly got drunk and lost it during the night. :cheers:

Mike

I met Bernie Nicholls in 1993 and he was hands-down the coolest hockey player I ever met. A personal favorite ever since, especially considering the situation he was going through at the time. His son, who was 2 years old or younger, had leukemia or something like that, and eventually passed away a couple months later. For a guy to be going through the emotional wringer like that, and to still be friendly (and hilariously funny), that says a lot to me.

Craig Billington once asked me who my favorite player was, and I replied "Richer." He told me I should have said "Craig Billington."