Devils Vs. Oilers

Yeah, I suck

http://nhl.com/onthefly/scoreboard/preview..._2_preview.html

GAME: Edmonton Oilers (3-6-3-1) at New Jersey Devils (8-3-0-0).

TIME: Saturday, 7:30 p.m. EST.

The New Jersey Devils struggle to score goals. They don't, however, have problems keeping pucks out of their own net.

Not with Martin Brodeur between the pipes.

Brodeur looks to continue his tremendous start when the Devils play host to the Edmonton Oilers.

The Devils have always been known for their suffocating defense.

This season has been no exception as New Jersey has allowed just 17 goals in 11 games, fewest in the NHL.

Brodeur has been the primary reason, posting a stellar 1.55 goals-against average and .930 save percentage in 11 starts.

"Brodeur is probably our best defensemen right now," Devils coach Pat Burns said.

Brodeur stopped 23 shots in the Devils' 1-0 win over the Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday for his 332nd career win and 56th shutout. It was also his ninth career 1-0 win.

"It was a game to see how we would match up against the league's best team and we did real well," Brodeur said. "Defensively we were awesome and offensively we didn't have much, but it was enough."

New Jersey needs everything Brodeur has because its offense has been a no-show all season, averaging just 2.45 goals per game.

The Devils do not have a player with more than four goals or eight points.

One of the main reasons for their struggles is a power-play unit which has been successful a league-low 5.9 percent of the time (3 for 51).

However, between Brodeur's heroics and the league's second-best penalty-killing unit, the Devils have quietly entrenched themselves near the top of the Atlantic Division.

The mere sight of Brodeur may be enough to stop the offensively challenged Oilers.

Edmonton has just one win in its last five games (1-2-1-1) and has scored more than three goals in a game just twice all season.

The Oilers struggled on Friday, falling 4-2 to the New York Islanders, who had lost six straight coming in.

"They came out really hard and bodychecked us all over the place," said Edmonton goalie Tommy Salo, who finished with 20 saves. "We can't give anybody a 2-0 lead before we start playing."

STANDINGS (through Nov. 7): Oilers - 10 points, 5th place, 10 PB, Northwest Division. Devils - 16 points, 3rd place, 4 PB, Atlantic Division.

TEAM LEADERS: Oilers - Anson Carter, 6 goals and 14 points; Mike York, 9 assists; Steve Staios, 24 PIM. Devils - John Madden, Patrik Elias, 4 goals; Scott Gomez, Oleg Tverdovsky, 6 assists; Madden, 8 points; Gomez, Turner Stevenson, 26 PIM.

SPECIAL TEAMS (through Nov. 7): Oilers - Power play: 15.3 percent (11 for 72), 17th in NHL. Penalty killing: 85.7 percent (42 for 49), 9th. Devils - Power play: 5.9 percent (3 for 51), 30th. Penalty killing: 90.2 percent (46 for 51), 2nd.

GOALTENDERS: Oilers - Salo (2-5-3, 3.10 GAA); Jussi Markkanen (1-2-0, 1.91).

Devils - Brodeur (8-3-0, 1 SO, 1.55); Corey Schwab (no appearances).

2001-02 SEASON SERIES: Devils, 1-0-1.

LAST MEETING: Dec. 30; Devils, 2-1. At Edmonton, Alberta, Bobby Holik and Randy McKay scored second-period goals and Brodeur came within 5:48 of his third shutout of the month for the Devils.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Oilers - 2-4-1-0 on the road; Devils - 4-2-0-0 at home.

-----------------------

I say...

4-2 Devils

Elias - 2 goal

Danton - goal

Madden SH goal

When the Oilers played Dallas this year, they weren't at all like the Oilers we've come to know and love ;) . So I'm gonna predict a blow-out by the Devils tonight, a rare scoring feast for the boys in red and black . . .

6-1 Devils. :D

Goals by Nieds, Tivo, Nieuwy, and anyone else who needs one. :lol:

I'm thinking the Devils offense gets it going today too. I see five goals for us, cause when we've gotten it going this year, it's been five...

They're not gonna get as many.

Also, after the way he was playing against Philly and crashing the net, I think it's Nieds' day. It was similar to the way Jamie played very well in Buffalo and then came home and helped down the Hawks.

Call Nieder one! He nieds goals!! And so does my fantasy hockey team! Haha.

I say 4-1 Devils, Nieds, Little G, Nieuwy, and Gomez with goals. And Smyth with the Oilers' lone goal since he's on my fantasy team, hah.

Speaking of the game, anyone gonna be there tonight? I'm going, wearing, of course, my Nieder jersey.

3-1 Devs.  Too bad I won't get to watch or listen to it.

I feel for ya. That was my life as a Devils fan for EIGHT years -- in fact, I didn't have computer until the last two so it was considerably worse than that.

You can always catch the complete recap on devils-list@badweb.com or it'll be put up next week at the Crasher Line Devils Recaps. ;) (This one will be late though, I gotta work until 2 before I do it.)

:joker: