Your thought on today / about the team so far ?

SterioDesign

I guess everyone is commenting on different topics here and there about our future lineup and their thought on this and that mixed with rumours and stuff so lets get it all done here.

Personally im pretty satisfy with today. I'm not thrilled with both of those players really but i feel we're a way better team than last year for sure.

We a top goalie in the league or at least a really solid one. Better than was we had going for sure. We got some grit players and a sniper. Mostly all upgrades on what we had last least. We may have overpaid a little but i rather overpay a little but still get a quality player in the lineup than having 3rd/4th line guys playing over their ass on the first 2 lines and looking at a 10+ millions of cap space.

Still wondering exactly (lets say the team stays as it is) what we'll see. 

Clowe - Loktionov - Kovalchuk

Elias - Zajac - Ryder

Henrique - Josefson - Zubrus

Olesz - Carter - Bernier

Tedenby, Barch, Gionta, Matteau...

Larsson - Tallinder

Greene - Salvador

Volchenkov - Fayne

Harrold, Urbom, Merril, Gelinas

Brodeur

Schneider

and we got 3.8m in cap space left. We have lots of versatile players who can play different positions and i feel we can still make moves since we have one way players who will likely sit a lot. I wouldnt say we have a top of the line depth and skills but we have a pretty solid depth IMO.  It will likely give time to guys like Boucher to develop plenty at pro level before the big league.

overall i like what we did today. lets face it, there is always going to be something that will bother us (contract length or amount of money given). 

i am just curious to what other moves lou will make and if any of the younger guys will have a chance to make the team

Pretty happy. The only thing that really surprised me was the trade. Didn't see that coming at all. Signing Clowe and Ryder will work. Clowe deal could hurt us, but doesn't include a NTC or anything, so that's good. Kinda expected us to make a splash this year with the cap dropping. LL knew he would be able to find value deals and he did with Ryder and Olesz. I'd say the "how pumped am I meter" is at about an 8/10 right now. Would be a 9/10 if we traded a D. Still got my fingers crossed we'll move somebody to leave open a spot for one of the young guns on D.

• Like 1

I haven't been this excited with free agency since we signed both Rolston and Zubrus...  that didn't play out so well obviously as we are still paying Trent Hunter for bailing us out :)

But yes; overall, I'm positive about this team...  we potentially could have lost Elias, Zubrus, Loktinov...   instead we lost Zidlicky most likely unless we work some d-man trade to jettison salary...

We upgraded Clarkson with Clowe...  I don't see that as revisionist.  I loved Clarkson's work ethic, and that ethic got him points...   but I never trusted him.  Clowe I trust, and honestly, last year doesn't scare me.  Do I wish he made less or had less years?  Yes.  But this isn't an RFA signing.   And adding Ryder to replace the spot Poni was in is just great.

We upgraded Brodeur with Schneider...  and upgraded Hedberg with Brodeur.     I'm seriously hoping Brodeur gets choice starts at home and Montreal; but a 65/35 split favoring Schneider.    I still believe a rested Brodeur is still a valuable asset; but just as the Lou and the NJDevs acknowledged with the acquisition... it's time to say goodbye to Brodeur this year.

I'm anxious to see how Larrson progresses, and if we can make room for some D prospects to revolve in.     Also, wouldn't mind seeing Reid Boucher on the wing getting a sniff early.

another good news is we won't need free agency for a few years i think if we can finaly sign henrique and JJ we'll have a few guys signed for at least a few years and we got guys in the minors who should be ready to step up then then.

2 good moves, one bad one, I can live with that. It's a team built to win now, that's for sure.

Just a few years ago, we had aging guys like Madden, Pandolfo, Rolston, White, Gionta,Brylin, etc. Pretty impressive that Lou was able to add Schneider, Clowe, Henrique, Kovy, Ryder and Olesz. Nice retooling on the fly by Lou

Been a good day at the office as far as I'm concerned. Just to echo some of the other posts, replacing/upgrading clarkson was an inevitability all summer so pretty chuffed with Clowe. So excited about the Schneider deal and is nice to have a great goalie in to ease the transition post-brodeur. I agree that trading a d-man away would be handy, but that yet to be seen. LGD!

Very happy with what we've done. Replaced Clarkson, added scoring, and most surprising and awesome of all the things we've done, we addressed the long-term goaltending situation. Couldn't be happier with Lou's moves so far.

Edited by MadDog2020

Besides Schneider, we haven't done anything exceptionally special. We added a couple of solid role players that makes us stronger than last year.

I'm still holding hope that we aren't done and can add a scorer by gettin rid of some D men

Did we resign Henrique and Josefson? If yes, we are a better team today than last season. But as of now, 10:30 PM they are not resigned. I like the Ryder and Schneider signing. I am not so pleased with the Clowe signing. He is a slow skater, injury prone and not a big scorer. For muscle the price is too high and the length too long. Lou knows this is a risk signing he admitted as much when he said he would take the heat for this signing. Sign Henrique and Josefson and I will be please to start the season.

Edited by LucifersDog

I think New Jersey has a pretty good chance at winning the presidents trophy this year. Their PDO wwas 975 last season and if they can sustain similar possession numbers with a bounce back in sh% they are going to be ridiculously hard to beat.

http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/4/22/pdo-numbers-by-nhl-team-april-22

That's how good NJ was. Their PP and PK shots for/allowed are near the top of the NHL as well.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

i'm pretty pumped with today but that had to do with olesz and ryder. i think the clowe deal was lou simply saying i need to put a clarkson type player in the clarkson hole. i would've preferred he went with brunner or stalberg for that spot. olesz plays the big forward role that the devils still want but someone with better wheels could've really been something.

when it comes to clowe, the proof is going to be how he compliments loktionov and kovalchuk. if you want to say that they're trying to upgrade nick palmieri from a couple years ago when he played with kovy and looked like an nhl'er, then we are in great shape.

ryder being a better sniper/scorer for elias and zajac might work really well.

what the devils got themselves today is a team that can give a lot of different looks and has some real forward depth - and one that can play deboer's system well.

also - these signings make the lou mid-season deal draft picks for random missing forward piece unnecessary which is good because the devils aren't in any position to do that next year.

Edited by sundstrom

i'm pretty pumped with today but that had to do with olesz and ryder. i think the clowe deal was lou simply saying i need to put a clarkson type player in the clarkson hole. i would've preferred he went with brunner or stalberg for that spot. olesz plays the big forward role that the devils still want but someone with better wheels could've really been something.

when it comes to clowe, the proof is going to be how he compliments loktionov and kovalchuk. if you want to say that they're trying to upgrade nick palmieri from a couple years ago when he played with kovy and looked like an nhl'er, then we are in great shape.

ryder being a better sniper/scorer for elias and zajac might work really well.

what the devils got themselves today is a team that can give a lot of different looks and has some real forward depth - and one that can play deboer's system well.

also - these signings make the lou mid-season deal draft picks for random missing forward piece unnecessary which is good because the devils aren't in any position to do that next year.

Agreed regarding Clowe. Although he's slow as molasses he has a solid shot, hits through people and can pass. I have no problem with the signing. The cap is going up and for whatever reason, Lou got the green light to go ahead and spend money. I'm not going to speculate on what that means going forward, but I think it's a good sign

Figure we have top 10 goaltending

Top 5 defense

And a boarder line top 10 offense.

Edited by SMantzas

Really happy with the moves that have been made this offseason. The Clowe deal might hurt in the long run but with the cap going up, it should be fine as long as he stays healthy. One thing he gives the team that they've missed is a guy who will go to the front of the net and get rebounds and put in garbage goals. That's where he'll be most effective as his speed won't be a factor. And as stupid as it sounds, he'll be a nice addition to our miserable shootout line-up. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I really like the signing overall. Heck, I'm happy with all the signings. Can't wait for the season to start.

The team upgraded the forwards and at goal. The defense needs an upgrade. Greene and Fayne are a solid pair. Larsson is unproven for a full year. Salvador, Volch, and Tallinder offer a little to the offense. The prospects are still prospects. But today at

Least Lou has fixed many holes up front (at least on paper), so it is a good day.