• Nov 12
    • Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

This kinda sums it up for me, too. Every principled bone in my body is saying to stay away, they'll just do this to me again. But I can't NOT watch hockey. Just can't do it. Like Coorslight, I'm totally a sheeple.

While I can't make the principled decision to stay away from the game and my team, I can say this: I won't set foot in that arena this year. If I go to Newark for any games, it'll be to watch from one of the bars nearby. (Countdown till I renege on that begins now ...)

After a couple days of reading why fans should boycott, and why they shouldn't - I think in the end the moral of the story is do what you want, and then you're not beholden to anyone - whatever that is.

If you want to go back as much as you did before, then do so. Hockey is a hobby we enjoy in whatever free time we have, not our livelihood. We can spend as much or little time and money on it as we want. If you want to cut back money spent/time watching games to send a message while still enjoying as much as you want on TV or computer streams that's perfectly legitimate, or just cut back if you have found other things you enjoy or are prioritizing other things in life.

If your aim in not going to games/spending money is because you can't enjoy it anymore after everything that's happened (and/or you've really found other things to do or can't afford it) it's one thing. If your aim is just to 'punish' the parties involved or trying to make sure they don't lock out eight years from now by depriving yourself cold turkey, then you're boycotting for the wrong reason imo. Then you're letting their actions control you, and not vice-versa.

Edited by NJDevs4978

If your aim in not going to games/spending money is because you can't enjoy it anymore after everything that's happened (and/or you've really found other things to do or can't afford it) it's one thing. If your aim is just to 'punish' the parties involved or trying to make sure they don't lock out eight years from now by depriving yourself cold turkey, then you're boycotting for the wrong reason imo. Then you're letting their actions control you, and not vice-versa.

It isn't so much because I can't enjoy it or I want to punish anyone. I'd just rather my dollars go to those bars/restaurants that invested in Newark and must have lost a ton of money by not having all those Devils crowds for the first half of the season.

It isn't so much because I can't enjoy it or I want to punish anyone. I'd just rather my dollars go to those bars/restaurants that invested in Newark and must have lost a ton of money by not having all those Devils crowds for the first half of the season.

And that's perfectly legitimate, you're not depriving yourself against your own will in the end. I just don't like fans to compare themselves or others to 'sheep, jilted lovers, etc'. They're not forcing us to watch, and there is other hockey out there.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Pretty much where I am. If I go up to Newark, it will be for that reason. Better food and drink too!

It will take me a while to get back into it, but I'm not scarred for life, as far as the NHL brand goes. Slowly but surely I'll be back on board.

The lockouts have sucked, no doubt, but I've never considered dropping the sport or league. I love the Devils and the NHL game too much. It just seems silly to spite myself by not watching/not going to games/not purchase merchandise just to take some sort of stand/protest. Obviously some others feel differently, and I respect that, but that's just how I feel.

Glad the game is back, LGD.

The lockouts have sucked, no doubt, but I've never considered dropping the sport or league. I love the Devils and the NHL game too much. It just seems silly to spite myself by not watching/not going to games/not purchase merchandise just to take some sort of stand/protest. Obviously some others feel differently, and I respect that, but that's just how I feel.

Glad the game is back, LGD.

I'm to the point where everyone is entitled to feel however they want about this. No right or wrong. The last two times I was first on line to come back, this time not so much. The one thing I don't like is anyone telling anyone else how they should feel, or think they can dictate a person's level of fandom if he or she doesn't sprint right to the arena for the first puck drop.

It would be nice if there was truly a way of letting everyone involved know that enough is enough, next time may be the last, but there isn't...there just aren't nearly enough people willing to take that stand, and several other fans are happy to take whatever the NHL gives them, so any boycotts aren't going to make the desired impact. No implied criticisms here, just stating facts. What's sad is the fact that the NHL previously lost a whole season probably makes what happened this year more tolerable in some fans' eyes than it should be..."Hey, at least they didn't lose the season, let's go to the game!" Kinda sad when yet another truncated NHL season almost feels like a bonus somehow.

• Like 1

Sterio: I bet Kovalchuk is already on a plane to NJ. Remember that if a 48 game season happens, his contract will have him making around $6M. I doubt very much Russia can compete with that, especially in light of the insurance that Kovalchuk must've had to take out on his contract.

As for boycotts, the only demand I make is that I don't read about them. If you don't want to watch, don't watch - don't attention whore yourself after games in a game thread being like 'Oh, I didn't watch, I'm boycotting the NHL'.

I watched an embarrassing amount of the NBA during this; no one mentioned the NBA lockout that I can remember, and that happened last year. Fans will quickly forget.

As for boycotts, the only demand I make is that I don't read about them. If you don't want to watch, don't watch - don't attention whore yourself after games in a game thread being like 'Oh, I didn't watch, I'm boycotting the NHL'.

I watched an embarrassing amount of the NBA during this; no one mentioned the NBA lockout that I can remember, and that happened last year. Fans will quickly forget.

It wouldn't have been such a big deal if the NHL hadn't cancelled the season because of labor issues less than ten years ago, and seems to go through the same song and dance all the time. To a lot of people that made the NHL a complete joke, irrespective of whose side you took in the labor dispute. Perhaps not to the diehard fans, but to at least the fans that have a little bit more than a casual interest in the sport.

The shortened season can't be written off as "no big deal."

Absolutely. Glad the lockout is over, but I'm very worried about this team's ability to compete in this shortened season. Holes on the wings of our first and third lines, and not having Henrique for the first 2 weeks (at least) is not good. Can't fall behind in points early because there won't be much time to catch up.

BTW...can they start negotiating the next CBA tomorrow so we don't have to repeat this disaster 8-10 years from now?

Pretty much where I am. If I go up to Newark, it will be for that reason. Better food and drink too!

It will take me a while to get back into it, but I'm not scarred for life, as far as the NHL brand goes. Slowly but surely I'll be back on board.

I feel exactly this way. Of course, when my tickets come in the mail in the next week or so, I'll probably start getting more excited. But for the moment, I do plan on selling off more games than usual. I mean, I'm guessing a shortened season means more games per week, and I just don't have the energy haha.

Absolutely. Glad the lockout is over, but I'm very worried about this team's ability to compete in this shortened season. Holes on the wings of our first and third lines, and not having Henrique for the first 2 weeks (at least) is not good. Can't fall behind in points early because there won't be much time to catch up.

BTW...can they start negotiating the next CBA tomorrow so we don't have to repeat this disaster 8-10 years from now?

I also worry because the Devils are notorious for starting off slowly. They can't do that this year.

For me, my personal decision to boycott some games, it's just the principle of the thing.

It's a business. I get that. All I am saying is, OK, if they want my business, maybe they should work harder not to screw around with the season everytime the CBA expires.

I guess in a way maybe my aim is to "punish" the league, although that's not exactly how I think about it.

I understand all the boycotts very well might not make much of a dent in future league decisions. But who knows, maybe it will have some effect. All I can do is what feels right to me.

I am perfectly OK with not going or watching for the first 10 or so games, and not buying some more Devils gear -- and that is their fault that I feel that way. They conditioned me to feel that way. Normally, I would be all over the start to the season.

I do promise to you guys not to muddy up the GDTs with boycott talk. That's not why I'm doing it.

I respect most everyone's views on the matter, whether they feel as I do or not.

• Like 1

It wouldn't have been such a big deal if the NHL hadn't cancelled the season because of labor issues less than ten years ago, and seems to go through the same song and dance all the time. To a lot of people that made the NHL a complete joke, irrespective of whose side you took in the labor dispute. Perhaps not to the diehard fans, but to at least the fans that have a little bit more than a casual interest in the sport.

The shortened season can't be written off as "no big deal."

Sure it can.

Do I feel taken for granted? Maybe a little bit. However, the league doesn't owe me anything. I thoroughly enjoy every cent and minute I spend on the Devils and the league. In the end, it's only entertainment. There are countless avenues I can travel to entertain myself, but none are as enjoyable as the NHL.

That being said, the league does come off as a joke

Sure it can.

Do I feel taken for granted? Maybe a little bit. However, the league doesn't owe me anything. I thoroughly enjoy every cent and minute I spend on the Devils and the league. In the end, it's only entertainment. There are countless avenues I can travel to entertain myself, but none are as enjoyable as the NHL.

That being said, the league does come off as a joke

It matters to some people and matters less or not at all to others. For a sport that's looking for a lot of growth, it's a big deal.

And you're still saying and ho and humming you won't come back all along..dude give it up. You said from the start if 1 game was cancelled you'd be out and that changed.

Like I said before it wasn't me who said that. I only ever said if we missed the entire season and playoffs that I wouldn't ever be back. Feel free to go back and check my past posts if you really still think it was me.

Looking at it yes a bit harsh, and I've been around long enough that I respect SH also. I could just be extremely turned off by reading HF boards and their "fans". No offense SH but there's been multiple occasions where you've said you can't wait to cancel. I'd love if I could afford the luxury of having season tickets let alone going to every home game..or even 80% of them...NOTHING against you. I've lived through both the other lockouts and I'm not at all affected like some are with this lockout.

I for one, will admit, I'm a sheeple ;)

Again, I don't ever recall saying I wanted them to cancel, especially not saying it numerous times. I have said I wanted my refund back instead of the Devils keeping my money.

I think you got my posts mixed up with someone else.

OK there are two different ideologies conflicting here so I am proposing a new thread. Can we keep the lockout/boycott talk on thread and start a thread to new season?

I am going nutz searching for news our roster our schedule and I respect that some wish to boycott so I figure we can have our own threads to keep everyone happy =-)

I just created the thread to make it easier, I figure those that want to talk lockout have their space here and those that want to talk the upcoming season can jump onto the new thread. LETS GO DEVILS!

Edited by newarkdev01

personally i don't care about punishing them, actually i couldn't really to be honest.

I live 12 hours away from Newark if i'm lucky and can put some good money aside i could make a trip to NJ but plane + game tickets + Hotels + food and all... it's a damn expensive trip.

as for merch im buying a huge amounts of shirts and stuff on the NHL store and other sites but for jersey i still rather get 3 knockups jersey at $40 who look a hundred times better than the reebok premiere jersey at $130

i'm also paying for Gamecenter since i can't watch the game on tv since im not in the area

with all that considered... even if i'd stop completely anything Devils related... i wouldnt do a big dent in their business lol its not like cancelling a season ticket or wtv

I'm really, really hoping gamecenter will be free this year as an apology of sorts.

If it isn't, and since microwavepizza is retired from broadcasting (you're still my hero), how much money am I looking at dropping for half of a season worth of NHL gamecenter to stream the games?

EDIT: Just realized you posted about game center and not center ice, my bad. I'll leave the below post in just for reference if anyone has questions on center ice.

It would be nice but unfortunately the NHL has it's hands tied because of contractual obligations.

http://www.sbnation....ply-cant-happen

The NHL doesn't have full ownership of the package. A company called inDEMAND -- which runs similar packages for the NBA, MLB and MLS -- does. They would need the approval of literally every cable and satellite company that runs the package -- everyone from DIRECTV to Comcast -- to make it happen, as inDEMAND and the cable companies all want a piece of those pricey subscriber fees. A discount? Perhaps. A free season ofCenter Ice? Logistically impossible.

Hopefully the league/teams do something to give back to the fans. I hope they don't paint "Thank You Fans" on the ice again...a "fvck You Fans" would be better since at least it would be sincere.

Edited by thefiestygoat
  • Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.