Selfish homesick players

smelly

The fact that many are here does not mean that would it be irrational to consider the fact that many others -- albeit to date none of Kovy's stature -- have returned.  So are you saying that it would be unreasonable for a GM to consider that fact when making a personnel decision?  I think not . . . 

It's not unreasonable for them to consider it, but in my view they've overvalued the chances of that happening.  As I've said - the only thing the KHL really offers is money and a chance to go home.  Everything else about it is worse than the NHL.

Ask the Red Wings about selfish Russians. Those bastards (Konstantinov, Fedorov, Larionov, Kozlov, Fetisov) really hurt them. And Brylin and Zelepukin had nothing to do with us winning the Cup. Look, I'm pissed at Kovy, but it's ridiculous to generalize about all Russian (or Eastern European players). The only reason they're the only ones taking more money to leave is they're used to Russia. Americans/Canadians would be hopelessly uncomfortable trying to learn the language and dealing with the crappy travel conditions.. 

This is an issue of one selfish player ignoring a contract he signed, and the effect that contract had on this franchise. We have every right to be pissed at him for that. I certainly am. That does not mean that we should assume that all Eastern European players would do the same. I would gladly take Malkin, Datsyuk, or Ovechkin on the Devils. I have no problem with Loktionov, and my issues with Volchenkov have nothing to do with his nationality. 

As for fewer Russians being drafted in the first round, I think it has more to do with the difficulty Russian players face with assimilation. It's not easy for a young kid to travel halfway around the world, to play in a highly competitive league, while not speaking the language. Some players thrive with the challenge, others don't, but it's a lot safer to spend that high draft pick on a kid from the US or Canada, who is more likely to be comfortable developing. Especially because, considering the language barrier, it can't be easy for an NHL exec to get a great read on a Russian kid's maturity and resiliency.

Edited by mouse

Ask the Red Wings about selfish Russians. Those bastards (Konstantinov, Fedorov, Larionov, Kozlov, Fetisov) really hurt them. And Brylin and Zelepukin had nothing to do with us winning the Cup. Look, I'm pissed at Kovy, but it's ridiculous to generalize about all Russian (or Eastern European players). The only reason they're the only ones taking more money to leave is they're used to Russia. Americans/Canadians would be hopelessly uncomfortable trying to learn the language and dealing with the crappy travel conditions..

This is an issue of one selfish player ignoring a contract he signed, and the effect that contract had on this franchise. We have every right to be pissed at him for that. I certainly am. That does not mean that we should assume that all Eastern European players would do the same. I would gladly take Malkin, Datsyuk, or Ovechkin on the Devils. I have no problem with Loktionov, and my issues with Volchenkov have nothing to do with his nationality.

As for fewer Russians being drafted in the first round, I think it has more to do with the difficulty Russian players face with assimilation. It's not easy for a young kid to travel halfway around the world, to play in a highly competitive league, while not speaking the language. Some players thrive with the challenge, others don't, but it's a lot safer to spend that high draft pick on a kid from the US or Canada, who is more likely to be comfortable developing. Especially because, considering the language barrier, it can't be easy for an NHL exec to get a great read on a Russian kid's maturity and resiliency.

Very well put.

Khl didn't exist when a lot of the players you mention played I think quite a few of them may have left or never come ovet

Never come over, maybe. As I said, it's gotta be tough to be a Russian kid in the NHL/AHL. I don't think those guys would have left, especially not mid contract. I hate Kovalchuk's decision because it was a surprise, because, regardless of if he could get away with it, he breached a contract, and because he ignored the negative effects of his decision on guys who treated him well, especially Lou and Marty. I have a problem with making generalizations about Russians both because it disrespects a ton of great players, many of whom were model citizens throughout their time in the league, and because it gives Kovalchuk a crutch -- he's Russian, what else could we expect. Fvck that. Ilya Kovalchuk made an a$$hole decision. While his comfort in Russia played into that decision (and it is therefore a decision no American or Canadian would make), he is an a$$hole, and his Russian heritage did not make him one. He has much more in common with Dany Heatley, deciding he didn't like Ottawa/San Jose and essentially forcing them to trade him than Datsyuk, Malkin, or Ovechkin.

He went home he was a star last season only playing his favourite offense and it's his country. Yes I hate the decision.

I do however think Lou wasn't fair to Devils fans by keeping this to himself. The team as I see it today won't be competitive for the playoffs. More moves if possible could change that. Time will tell. One thing Kovy will never have is a CUP and in the NHL Hall Of Fame. He doesn't seem to care and maybe that's because he realized he's not that good in the NHL play the Devils way.

And what, pray tell, was Lou supposed to do instead?  Blab to the media?  Kidnap his wife?  Overpay for Clarkson?

$10 says Lokti does the same thing when his contract is up.

The difference, though, is that his contract will be up.  He wouldn't be skipping out in the middle of a contract.  Granted, he'll only be a restricted free agent, and some people would make the argument that he's obligated to remain in the NHL until he's old enough to be a UFA, but that's a lot different than leaving mid-contract.

The difference, though, is that his contract will be up.  He wouldn't be skipping out in the middle of a contract.  Granted, he'll only be a restricted free agent, and some people would make the argument that he's obligated to remain in the NHL until he's old enough to be a UFA, but that's a lot different than leaving mid-contract.

+1 We made plans for the future based on the assumption that Kovalchuk would be here. Anyone making plans for the future based on re-signing a free agent is just being stupid.

Im pissed on every level at Kovy but i understand that the lockout and the bullsh!t bettman and the owners pulled on the players is a huge reason so i kind of see where hes coming from and i get that maybe he wanted out. Whats getting me is that he left the team the year they needed him the most (somewhat because of him too) and reallllly fvcked them over. Like he doesnt seem to care about the mess he did and all the people affected

Im pissed on every level at Kovy but i understand that the lockout and the bullsh!t bettman and the owners pulled on the players is a huge reason so i kind of see where hes coming from and i get that maybe he wanted out. Whats getting me is that he left the team the year they needed him the most (somewhat because of him too) and reallllly fvcked them over. Like he doesnt seem to care about the mess he did and all the people affected

That's because he doesn't care. He only cares about the $$$$$

Ask the Red Wings about selfish Russians. Those bastards (Konstantinov, Fedorov, Larionov, Kozlov, Fetisov) really hurt them. 

Those guys were fleeing communism, big difference.  In 91, Russia refused to allow their best players to play in the Canada Cup as they feared mass defections.  

In 5 years (maybe sooner) you will be VERY happy that he is not counting against the Devils cap.  Have the Devils used both their amnesties, yet?  If not, he likely would have been amnestied next season, anyway.  However, then they still would have had to pay a huge chunk of his remaining contract.  Now, they are off the hook in regards to actual dollars and have a tiny cap re-capture hit for the next 12 years.  Their hit is the equivalent of a team sending a player with a $1.15MM salary to the AHL.

Edited by Matteau#32

I can't wait til our 2013 2nd round pick Steve Santini leaves us in 2019 to join his beloved New York Rangers and move back to Westchester. I'll be numb to it all by then.

Right? Thank God the Bruins locked Rask up long-term, or Schneider would've probably been on the first train to Boston in two years. Edited by MadDog2020