Fayne agrees to two-year deal with NJ

SterioDesign

He is a good "horse" middle pairing guy. Eats up minutes and is unnoticed but solid. He won't put up 50 or 60 points but he isn't completely "puck retarded" and he won't be a premier #1 shutdown guy but he won't be a liability.

He's very similar to Tallinder in that regard. Very good defensively, but just lacks enough skill and skating ability to be a top flight d-man.

Under this deal, he gets $2.6M. You don't think he signs up for 4 years/9M? To beat the deal he just signed versus the deal I just made up, he has to make more than 3.2M per after 2014. I think he'll manage it, but it's close, and that would certainly mitigate some risk on his part.

No way that if this is Fayne's price that buying out his UFA years should cost $4.7M per like you are suggesting.

No way his agent allows him to go 4 years/9M.

Edited by devlman

I looked on Twitter when the thread was posted and didn't see anything about Fayne at that time. I shouldn't have to go searching for someone's source when they post a signing. He's been here long enough to know to include the link for things like this.

please don't sue me for the 10 seconds of your time it took you to get the source, i have bills and a family to feed

I like the deal. I wouldnt be surprised if he was offered longer and turned it down, nor can you blame him. The new CBA is likely going to change a lot of things in respect to RFAs.

I agree that there's guys that Im not going to want to see re-signed once their contracts are played out, but in the immediate it's good money wise. It doesn't hurt we have a good couple of young guys that should be ready by the time Fayne is ready for his next contract.

please don't sue me for the 10 seconds of your time it took you to get the source, i have bills and a family to feed

Oh give me a break. Stop playing the victim. Just include the source link next time you post a news story. It's not that hard and it saves everyone time wasted on searching and/or arguing.

I have a nice legal letter in my files that threatened everything I own because people used the info wrong. Please post sources.

link? whistling.gif

Yeah, I figured Lou would get this done for about this much. Well done AGAIN LL! He even paid a little less then what I was thinking.

Edited by Masked Fan

It's impossible to look into the future obviously, but I feel like Fayne will have run his course with this team in two years anyway.

Run his course? He'll be 27. Why would anyone think this? Probably because he wasn't considered one of the top 100 prospects in 2005, as if that makes a difference now.

I don't think it's terrible, but despite the fact that the Devils have lots of prospects, it's not likely any of them will be as good as Fayne in two years. (I'm not counting Larsson as a prospect anymore)

Run his course? He'll be 27. Why would anyone think this? Probably because he wasn't considered one of the top 100 prospects in 2005, as if that makes a difference now.

I don't think it's terrible, but despite the fact that the Devils have lots of prospects, it's not likely any of them will be as good as Fayne in two years. (I'm not counting Larsson as a prospect anymore)

From almost everything I've read, owners want to raise the UFA age. This may not even be an issue

thanks to this part, i immediately thought of the lyric, 'i have bills to pay and children who need clothes' and as a result i now have Downeaster Alexa stuck in my head. damn you.

I really don't know how anyone can say this is a bad or a terrible contract. Inconceivable. With all the young defensemen in the system, someone will definitely be ready to step in for 2014-2015 if Fayne leaves.

I hope, but after years of hoping with Corrente and Eckford, I've stopped considering prospects, especially defensive ones, sure things.

... aaaaaand now I do too. Blast!

See, I don't know that song. But I now have "I got bills to pay/I got mouths to feed/Ain't nothing in this life for free" from Ain't No Rest For The Wicked by Cage the Elephant in my head.

Also, to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that we shouldn't attribute where information is coming from, just that we should be helpful instead of jerks to those who don't think of it initially.

To quote Jeff Daniels' character from The Newsroom, I'm on a mission to civilize.

Because, while he's certainly a solid minute-eater, I don't personally consider Fayne to be anything special. I think he's a prototypical 3-4 D-man that has adapted to playing top-2 minutes in NJ. Certainly valuable to the team right now, but I'd hope in two years some of the prospects in the system are ready to move up and take his place.

• Like 1

Terrible deal, only way it works out is if RFA age goes up.

...I don't think it's terrible, but ...

Sorry T, but you made me laugh. giggle.gif

See, I don't know that song. But I now have "I got bills to pay/I got mouths to feed/Ain't nothing in this life for free" from Ain't No Rest For The Wicked by Cage the Elephant in my head.

this

.... Certainly valuable to the team right now, but I'd hope in two years some of the prospects in the system are ready to move up and take his place.

annnnnd this is exactly where I thought this should go. Yes, couple of years and then we see if he's that good and pay him what he deserves, or maybe we have another guy stepping up.