NYT: How come Brodeur is still so good?

DJ Eco

Two numbers:

The top one is Marty's victory total of course.

The other one is all of the other Scouts/Rockies/Devils goalies' victories COMBINED.  Chris Terreri is second all-time in victories, with 118.  Chico is third with 67 (poor guy had a record of 67-148-33 as a Rockie/Devil). 

We know how bad the franchise was up until 1987-88 (Their first 14 seasons were all losing seasons, and the team was never close to finishing with a winning record), and that any goalie that was stuck playing for those first 14 seasons had no chance.  But Marty may very well finish with more than 600 wins over the guy who ranks second in the franchise.  That is just sick. 

I love this butthurt Rags fan's response in the Deadspin article.  Made me laugh. 

:lol:  Clearly an article profiling Marty Broduer should be about how Lundqvist shows all the hallmarks of being better -- or about how Mark Messier is a lifetime Rangers player despite his overall career time there amounting to a blip, or about how Jersey's own John Bon Jovi is actually a lifelong Rangers fan based on Ron Duguay's efforts to capture the "Bon Jovi look"  Can't a MAGAZINE just post a nice peice on one of the all-time hockey greats?  yeesh

What a shock, Deadspin eviscerating a mainstream media outlet with petty complaints. I tip my hat to them for some things like the Te'o work, but it's odd that one of the most popular online sports sites seems to have no purpose other than to make fun of and embarass other news outlets. Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

What a shock, Deadspin eviscerating a mainstream media outlet with petty complaints. I tip my hat to them for some things like the Te'o work, but it's odd that one of the most popular online sports sites seems to have no purpose other than to make fun of and embarass other news outlets.

in their defense, ESPN and specifically people like Darren Rovelle and Bill Simmons earn it about 99% of the time. But yeah when they're going after the new york times magazine, it's beyond petty, especially when Petechsky's the only guy they have there who knows hockey, not Dickey 

Cool that he's getting props, but why is this pinned?

I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out why stuff gets pinned in Hell. Aside from the GDTs, the decision to pin threads just seems to go by the personal whims of whomever runs this part of the site on any given day. Same with the PODs.

in their defense, ESPN and specifically people like Darren Rovelle and Bill Simmons earn it about 99% of the time. But yeah when they're going after the new york times magazine, it's beyond petty, especially when Petechsky's the only guy they have there who knows hockey, not Dickey 

I don't get how Simmons does. He's always admitted that his stuff is opinion based, and his opinions are fairly well informed. In general, deadspin's a waste of time. Serious journalists do factchecking on fact based articles. Deadspin feels the need to win a d!ck measuring contest, mostly on opinion pieces.

A lengthy piece (not a simple, short newspaper article) on a future HOF'er shouldn't get pinned?  Granted it's an article with a couple of goofy errors, but any kind of mainstream notice should be acknowledged.  NYT is mainstream, whatever you may think of them.  Honestly, debating whether this should be pinned is being nitpicky to the nth degree.

Some detractors, as the article points out, will call him a "compiler", but to me a compiler is a pitcher who, say, wins 12-14 games a year for most of his career, with two or three 18+ win seasons, and finishes his career with 300 wins just because he managed to be consistently pretty good for a very long period of time.  It's not like Marty won 25-30 games per season for 20 years.

Exactly. You want an example of a compiler, look at Cujo. Never led the league in any category, yet he's 4th on the all-time wins list.

A lengthy piece (not a simple, short newspaper article) on a future HOF'er shouldn't get pinned?  Granted it's an article with a couple of goofy errors, but any kind of mainstream notice should be acknowledged.  NYT is mainstream, whatever you may think of them.  Honestly, debating whether this should be pinned is being nitpicky to the nth degree.

It's definitely worthy of a thread, but I would think the feature of pinning threads would be for things that should always be at the top like rules, an FAQ, or the GDT of that day.  On this forum it seems pretty frequent that there are typical everyday threads that for some reason get pinned.  It's not really a big deal, it's just weird.

I don't get how Simmons does. He's always admitted that his stuff is opinion based, and his opinions are fairly well informed. In general, deadspin's a waste of time. Serious journalists do factchecking on fact based articles. Deadspin feels the need to win a d!ck measuring contest, mostly on opinion pieces.

When he says stuff like he's "unintimidatable" and then has as thin a skin as anyone at ESPN and says stuff like how he can't find any good hockey writing on the internet when he runs a sports website and could fix it himself. And his terrible situation he always whines about how the pats haven't won in a whole 8 years! how terrible. He's just very unaware and puts it on display a lot. These aren't the biggest problems or anything but he rubs a lot of people the wrong way 

For the record, I didn't mind that it was pinned.

'Brodeur’s long tenure is largely of his own choosing: he has negotiated almost all his own contracts and has taken less money to remain in the Garden State because he feels secure there, he says, and is subject to less media scrutiny than in Canada or New York.'

New York? Again with the myth that New York is some special place for sports, let alone hockey. What extra scrutiny would he receive in NY? An extra line from Larry Brooks? An extra 2-second highlight on Russ Salzberg's my9 sports segment? Gimme a damn break.

'Brodeur’s long tenure is largely of his own choosing: he has negotiated almost all his own contracts and has taken less money to remain in the Garden State because he feels secure there, he says, and is subject to less media scrutiny than in Canada or New York.'

New York? Again with the myth that New York is some special place for sports, let alone hockey. What extra scrutiny would he receive in NY? An extra line from Larry Brooks? An extra 2-second highlight on Russ Salzberg's my9 sports segment? Gimme a damn break.

Agreed, the NYC media as a whole doesn't do much scrutinizing of their Manhattan hockey team. But they all do tend to fall over themselves hopping on the bandwagon whenever the team has even the slightest success.

Exactly. You want an example of a compiler, look at Cujo. Never led the league in any category, yet he's 4th on the all-time wins list.

I give him credit though, there is something to be said for being good for as long as he was, though like you imply, he's definitely not the 4th-best NHL goalie ever.  He was good and durable for a long time.  Brodeur was good, very good, sometimes great, also durable for a long time and more importantly, won the big hardware (Vezinas, Cups, etc).      

Agreed, the NYC media as a whole doesn't do much scrutinizing of their Manhattan hockey team. But they all do tend to fall over themselves hopping on the bandwagon whenever the team has even the slightest success.

Playing for the Rangers is definitely nothing compared to playing for the Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Jets or Giants.  Way more pressure playing for those teams. 

I give him credit though, there is something to be said for being good for as long as he was, though like you imply, he's definitely not the 4th-best NHL goalie ever.  He was good and durable for a long time.  Brodeur was good, very good, sometimes great, also durable for a long time and more importantly, won the big hardware (Vezinas, Cups, etc).      

Playing for the Rangers is definitely nothing compared to playing for the Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Jets or Giants.  Way more pressure playing for those teams. 

Probably because aside from the beat writers, hardly anyone in the local media knows enough about hockey to properly criticize it.  All they can do is cheer like fans when the team does well.

With baseball, basketball and football, everyone in the newspapers and on TV is an expert, or so it seems.