Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

GoArmySports

Get your tinfoil hats out, conspiracy theory coming in:

I still can't imagine why Lou would sign the papers and leave Kovy scott free to sign anywhere he pleases outside the NHL.  It just makes no sense; Lou's being majorly taken advantage of if he just decided to do it to be a "good guy".  Hockey is a business, and that's not how business works.

Here's the conspiracy:  someone from the KHL essentially paid Vanerbeek off.  It's no secret he's not exactly wealthy anymore, and it's no secret there's a stupidly large amount of money in the KHL between a few owners.  It could easily be quietly done, and Lou would have no say in the matter if JVB gave the orders.

I know it's absolute nonsense, but hey, why not share it?  It sounds just as absurd to me as the theory that Lou didn't want to sign Kovy in the first place.

I think the only thing I can think of that would go against this theory is that sums of that amount of money need to be declared, especially if coming from Russia of all places. A transaction like that would make its way to the public eye, and we all know how damaging that would be to our franchise if that became known, might even be illegal/tampering/circumvention.

I still can't imagine why Lou would sign the papers and leave Kovy scott free to sign anywhere he pleases outside the NHL.  It just makes no sense; Lou's being majorly taken advantage of if he just decided to do it to be a "good guy".  Hockey is a business, and that's not how business works.

You just said it though: business is business. The business thing to do is to let the guy go and you get your 12 future years' worth of money back essentially. Hanging on and blocking it from happening is what a fan would do, someone with a "personal" interest in keeping him here. It serves nobody's interest but an egotistical personal interest if Lou were to block Kovy from officially retiring.

How many of us are happy we didn't take Nichuskin at #9 now? Sure he might not have ever left us but we'd be paranoid the whole time he was here.

Well I still wouldn't put what Kovy did onto Nichuskin, but I'm glad the Devils have what appears to be a top flight goalie so they can try to win through depth, rolling 4 lines, and defense now that one of the top offensive guys is gone.

Next time u hear someone say NY is a great sports town, just laugh in their faces. Not a damn thing in the media re kovy. It's bad enough we are the second fiddle NHL team in the market, but what's worse is being in a sh!tty sports market to begin with.

Next time u hear someone say NY is a great sports town, just laugh in their faces. Not a damn thing in the media re kovy. It's bad enough we are the second fiddle NHL team in the market, but what's worse is being in a sh!tty sports market to begin with.

I agree.  I don't really consider NY a sports town.   Most of sports radio I listen to is from  Canada.

It depends on the sport, just like any other sports town. It's the best basketball town in the country, and one of the best baseball towns. It's a so so football town, and a crappy hockey town. I guarantee you won't find any town that supports all 4 sports at a high level

Well I still wouldn't put what Kovy did onto Nichuskin, but I'm glad the Devils have what appears to be a top flight goalie so they can try to win through depth, rolling 4 lines, and defense now that one of the top offensive guys is gone.

Yeah I was one of the people pissed that Lou didn't take Nichuskin at first. But after I realized we had just signed one of the best younger goalies in the league I was happy. Now I'm relieved that I don't have to worry about it happening again (not that it would, I just worry a lot).

I just really hope Lou can convince Schneider to stick around.

Get your tinfoil hats out, conspiracy theory coming in:

He let Brent Sutter go to Calgary without even asking for a pick in compensation....he's done it before....

It depends on the sport, just like any other sports town. It's the best basketball town in the country, and one of the best baseball towns. It's a so so football town, and a crappy hockey town. I guarantee you won't find any town that supports all 4 sports at a high level

Then its not a great sports town. Its not even the best basketball town in the NBA. A great sports town isnt just being a good baseball city. There are plenty of great sports town (where 4 sports are covered/supported well): Philly, Boston, DC, Chicago, Seattle to name a few.

Edited by devlman

Then its not a great sports town. Its not even the best basketball town in the NBA. A great sports town isnt just being a good baseball city. There are plenty of great sports town (where 4 sports are covered/supported well): Philly, Boston, DC, Chicago, Seattle to name a few.

Philly's a crap basketball town, and a so so baseball town. Boston didn't care about football until Brady. DC drove 2 baseball teams out of town before the Nats, have never supported the Wizards with any great enthusiasm, and have just started supporting the Caps with Ovie. Chicago is pretty good, I'll give you that one. Seattle lost their NBA team (I know the owners and arena were an issue, but that would NEVER happen in NY), and Safeco is empty half the time. I'm not saying the NY media is great, but the idea that it's not a big time sports town is asinine, despite how bad a hockey town it is.

And look at ticket sales before you say it's not the best basketball town: the Knicks are the toughest tickets in the country, the Nets are a sold draw despite being second fiddle, visiting teams and press all comment on the atmosphere at the Garden, etc. 

While I'm not overly impressed with NY football fans, at least compared to some place like Dallas, the Giants are one of the toughest tickets to get in the country, and the Jets have a die hard core, despite years of ineptitude and overpriced tickets to boot.

You can ream the media all you want (I certainly have), but making sweeping assertions about an entire city's sports culture based on the media's poor coverage of one sport is just stupid.

I think the only thing I can think of that would go against this theory is that sums of that amount of money need to be declared, especially if coming from Russia of all places. A transaction like that would make its way to the public eye, and we all know how damaging that would be to our franchise if that became known, might even be illegal/tampering/circumvention.

Not if it is split up into many mini-payments / or represented via foreign assets that are then turned around and sold independently.

Martin Brodeur: "It's going to be a challenge for us to make the playoffs."

Lol Marty. Way to have faith in yourself and the team.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2013/07/devils_martin_brodeur_it_will_be_tough_to_make_playoffs_without_ilya_kovalchuk.html#incart_flyout_sports

Brodeur said not to count the Devils out.

“It will be interesting. But we always find ways, especially when we’re in this kind of situation and people don’t see us doing anything. We always find a way to get it done,” he said. “When people say, ‘There’s no way now,’ it brings the best out of us for some reason. I think with the system we play, we’re going to be competitive. But it’s going to be hard.”

You can't sell (or at least I can't think of any instance of it happening) export players and keeping it under the table would be even worse.   The franchise would be taken from him.

Some Russians came up with that one on HF because all they understand is stupid money.    First of all, a sale of a player for a high sum would be hockey related revenue, and if it wasn't, the PA would demand it be fairly quickly.    So there goes half of it.    I would also assume that the owners would have to take their cut.    So you know 1/60th of your sale would potentially go to you.

It's just conspiracy theory and not particularly good at that.    They could (can they still?) loan him to SKA, but sell him... especially under the table?  No way.   The NHL is so anal about centralized revenue that they were threatening to take the Rangers from Dolan over a web page working independently of their webring.

Philly's a crap basketball town, and a so so baseball town. Boston didn't care about football until Brady. DC drove 2 baseball teams out of town before the Nats, have never supported the Wizards with any great enthusiasm, and have just started supporting the Caps with Ovie. Chicago is pretty good, I'll give you that one. Seattle lost their NBA team (I know the owners and arena were an issue, but that would NEVER happen in NY), and Safeco is empty half the time. I'm not saying the NY media is great, but the idea that it's not a big time sports town is asinine, despite how bad a hockey town it is.

And look at ticket sales before you say it's not the best basketball town: the Knicks are the toughest tickets in the country, the Nets are a sold draw despite being second fiddle, visiting teams and press all comment on the atmosphere at the Garden, etc.

While I'm not overly impressed with NY football fans, at least compared to some place like Dallas, the Giants are one of the toughest tickets to get in the country, and the Jets have a die hard core, despite years of ineptitude and overpriced tickets to boot.

You can ream the media all you want (I certainly have), but making sweeping assertions about an entire city's sports culture based on the media's poor coverage of one sport is just stupid.

Look, don't get yourself so easily offended where throwing out names is the basis of your reply. I live here. What I said was absolutely true. I dont want to hijack the thread with a dissertation on sports culture in New York. People that live here know what I mean. There are plenty of cities that are better sports cities than NY, which is a vastly overrated sports city. And btw, your counter points on the other cities arent true. Edited by devlman

Look, don't get yourself so easily offended where throwing out names is the basis of your reply. I live here. What I said was absolutely true. I dont want to hijack the thread with a dissertation on sports culture in New York. People that live here know what I mean. There are plenty of cities that are better sports cities than NY. And btw, your counter points on the other cities isn't true.

yes, they are.  the patriots were a joke in new england until 1996.  seattle is a rotten sports town, they support the seahawks and the MLS team but are bad otherwise.  philadelphia and chicago are the only 4 sport cities i'd put over new york.

yes, they are. the patriots were a joke in new england until 1996. seattle is a rotten sports town, they support the seahawks and the MLS team but are bad otherwise. philadelphia and chicago are the only 4 sport cities i'd put over new york.

Seattle is a rotten sports town? Lol. You better have a really good Corsi to back that up otherwise you will look even more foolish. Safeco used to be packed when they were good, and their sports media is very good. The pats also stunk in the 90s so of course they were ignored. ..But that was 15 yes ago anyway. The discussion is about the media and interest level in these cities.

Edited by devlman