Poni to Winnipeg

ghdi

He may not have wanted to stay. Can't always lay blame on us. He was traded here. I also believe he'll also be playing on a better line in Winnipeg, in terms of playing time and such. Id not be surprised to see him paired with Antropov.

TG tweeted a day or two ago that although the Devils showed some initial interest, they never really got serious about negotiating a new deal. You're right that maybe Poni just wanted to leave and nothing could be done to keep him, but it seems like the Devils didn't try hard enough to figure out if that was really the case.

I remember Poni, Zubs, and Bernier playing good together for a while but after they broke that up not much came from the third line. The third line was never really set either until the fourth was set.

Yes, the players on the third line were constantly changing, but any line that included Cam and/or Boulton was the worst on the team.

Poni on conference call with Winnipeg:

@IllegalCurve

An interesting part of the Ponikarovsky conf call is that he spoke to NJD about returning, but their financial woes are very legit #Brodeur

Illegal Curve are a Winnipeg based blog/website dealing with the Jets.

To bad for us, good for him, I guess. Best of luck, hope he's happy.

Poni on conference call with Winnipeg:

@IllegalCurve

An interesting part of the Ponikarovsky conf call is that he spoke to NJD about returning, but their financial woes are very legit #Brodeur

Illegal Curve are a Winnipeg based blog/website dealing with the Jets.

that sucks

Liked Poni, but he played small against the Kings. While the Flyers let him cycle down low, LA played him physically and took that away. He had no answer (nobody really did) for it. While I can forgive a Parise because he's giving up so much size, that has to be where Poni plays strong (think Holik against Detroit in '95 for example). Still, at 1.8m not sure NJ can upgrade from that.

I have to agree with everything said on page one:

Good luck to Poni, I really like what he brought to the team, can't believe we didn't resign him, especially at that money, etc. However, as others have said, NJ is not everyone's cup of tea; not everyone can handle being in the happiest place on Earth!

Eh he is replaceabl, we was very invisible for the last part of the season. I see us signing Sykora since he can put up respectable numbers at a low price so Ponis departure is not terrible. I thank him for scoring the most important goal agaisnt the Flyers.

Edited by Zubie#8

Obviously, we should have had this guy at that price.

And probably would have if he had been willing to wait, but I'm guessing he didn't want to risk losing the offer from Winnipeg to see what Lou and Parise were going to do. Looks like Salvador is still holding on for Zach at the moment.

Parise denies Devils financial situation is factor in decision-making process: 'In speaking with Lou he said that won't be a problem'

Maybe a little gamesmanship from Poni if in fact Lou decided he wasn't cut from the Devils cloth after seeing that video. Who knows? Why else would Poni say the Devils did not have the money?

Maybe a little gamesmanship from Poni if in fact Lou decided he wasn't cut from the Devils cloth after seeing that video. Who knows? Why else would Poni say the Devils did not have the money?

We didn't have it for Poni, but we have it for Zach. Poni didn't want to wait and got an offer he could accept. My guess is impatience on Poni's part.

I really hoped we would be able to resign Poni. Seeing the price and term he got from the Jets hurts even more.

Oh well, if there is one thing Lou is really good at, it is pulling decent depth players out of no where. Hopefully he can pull it off again next year because as much as I love reuniting the 4th line, I don't want them to become the 3rd line.