2010 Defending Champion New York Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

Gotta tip my hat and give the Texas Rangers a lot of credit. They earned this trip to the World Series.

The results may not have been there this year for the Yankees but I'm proud of this team. It wasn't an ideal year with the collapse in September and shortcoming in the post season but I always felt like the effort was there. These guys aren't robots, they're human, just because they don't produce doesn't mean they don't care. I have to thank the Steinbrenner's for once again putting a championship caliber team on the field, Brian Cashman and his crew for putting together that team, and the team for the effort that they put forth. I may be a tough critic of Girardi but I know his heart is in the right place. He's here to stay so I'm not going to bother complaining about that this offseason.

Looking forward to the drive for 28 in 2011. Go Yankees!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hits? 3 lousy hits? Against Lee, sure it happens. Against Colby Lewis? Yikes. I expected more in an elimination game. Texas did earn it. They were the better team in this series.

Whatever it takes, Lee has to be on the Yankees next season. Whatever it takes.

Also, I seriously consider picking up Woods' option. I know $11M is a lot for a setup man, but Wood was impressive.

I think you guys can do better than Wood for $11M. That's insane money for a setup man, not to mention hes an aging Kerry Wood (I think hes been generally healthy the past few years, but still). His numbers with the Yanks, at least for the regular season, were only over 26 innings and his ERA was an aberration due to some really good luck, like a really low BABIP and a low HR rate despite being very flyball prone. I wouldn't expect a low BABIP and low HR rate to continue, and the advanced stats (xFIP) predict his ERA probably should have been over 4. I mean even if Wood shocks everyone and pitches like he did in 2008 with the Cubs, he still won't likely be living up to his $11M price tag, at least not in the sabermetric world. The relief market looks pretty stacked too; I think you can find a better run for your money elsewhere.

Anyway, I don't mean to bud in, just my two cents. And nice season guys, can't win it every year.

Edited by nmigliore

Gotta tip my hat and give the Texas Rangers a lot of credit. They earned this trip to the World Series.

The results may not have been there this year for the Yankees but I'm proud of this team. It wasn't an ideal year with the collapse in September and shortcoming in the post season but I always felt like the effort was there. These guys aren't robots, they're human, just because they don't produce doesn't mean they don't care. I have to thank the Steinbrenner's for once again putting a championship caliber team on the field, Brian Cashman and his crew for putting together that team, and the team for the effort that they put forth. I may be a tough critic of Girardi but I know his heart is in the right place. He's here to stay so I'm not going to bother complaining about that this offseason.

Looking forward to the drive for 28 in 2011. Go Yankees!

I know that I will eventually come to agree with this statement, but for now I remain pissed and depressed.

Congratulations to the Yankees, on their 9th trip to the ALCS.. since 1996.

We lost to the better team. Simple as that. But I'm still proud over the season in general. :clap2:

I was thinking the exact opposite. As a Yankee fan you should know the rallying cry.

"Unless we win the world series the season was a failure". That was per the sentiment of the late George Steinbrenner. Thats not a fitting rallying cry for a team like the Marlins, or Rangers, or Indians, but it IS a warranted rallying cry for a team with a 200 mil+ payroll. You win it all or the season was a failure.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone care about how poorly the Yankees are handling this Jeter negotiation?

Are they handling it poorly? I think they have the leverage and are using it. It's been a public squabble, but the bottom line is that Jeter wants too much. Cashman was right to tell him to find a better deal than what's on the table.

Are they handling it poorly? I think they have the leverage and are using it. It's been a public squabble, but the bottom line is that Jeter wants too much. Cashman was right to tell him to find a better deal than what's on the table.

And that's why they're handling it poorly. It's not because of what they offered, it was a fair offer and the Jeter camp has got A-Rod envy trying to ask for what they've supposedly asked for. The problem is the Yankees have just acted too defensive throughout this whole process...I realize they're trying to win a PR war but they're only making it worse in that respect with everyone from Hank to Cashman to Levine pounding him in the media. What are they really going to gain by smearing him publicly?

Edited by NJDevs4978

And that's why they're handling it poorly. It's not because of what they offered, it was a fair offer and the Jeter camp has got A-Rod envy trying to ask for what they've supposedly asked for. The problem is the Yankees have just acted too defensive throughout this whole process...I realize they're trying to win a PR war but they're only making it worse in that respect with everyone from Hank to Cashman to Levine pounding him in the media. What are they really going to gain by smearing him publicly?

Maybe they really don't want him.

I don't know, I like Grienke and all, but I'm not sure if I'd part with him at that tag. I'd take him over AJ Burnett, but I doubt the Royals want him back for 3 years at his tag, and I doubt the Yankees would trade Burnett. I mean, the ideal scenario is that Lee signs for 6 years, and you trade AJ and prospects for Grienke, and your rotation is Lee/Sabathia/Grienke/Hughes and either Pettite or Nova. That's a damn good rotation, but I doubt it'll happen.