Selfish homesick players

smelly

lol you named your thread russians ... dude the guy is just a jerk off and fvcked this organization in a HUGE HUGE way.. from our first round pick next year to not being able to sign zach due to his ridiculous contract to a 250,000 fine every season until 25'... the guy fvcked the devils real real fvcking bad.

Being Russian has nothing to do with it. The guy just wanted to go play in his home country. You don't think that if the NHL (in some bizzaro world) where located in Europe that eventually some high profile Canadians or Americans would "defect" and come back home to play?

Don't get me wrong, this sucks. I'm pissed he is leaving, but this threads is a little ridiculous.

Edited by squishyx
  • Like 1

Russian hockey players have a stereotype -- both on and off the ice -- of being self-centered, individualistic, and poor team players.  Certainly that isn't true universally in every case. But come on -- no one could reasonably dispute that Kovy's decision is entirely consistent with the caricature. And no one in their right mind could blame an NHL GM for factoring this into their decision between investing in a Russian player or a comparably-talented player of a different nationality.  In fact, they already have for years -- just look at any recent draft.

Edited by smelly

Russian hockey players have a stereotype -- both on and off the ice -- of being self-centered, individualistic, and poor team players.  Certainly that isn't true universally in every case. But come on -- no one could reasonably dispute that Kovy's decision is entirely consistent with the caricature. And no one in their right mind could blame an NHL GM for factoring this into their decision between investing in a Russian player or a comparably-talented player of a different nationality.  In fact, they already have for years -- just look at any recent draft.

Kovalchuk's decision to leave helps the Devils in the long-term without question.  The problem with Russian players isn't their self-centeredness, it's their perceived willingness to not forgo their home country because it has a reasonably competitive hockey league that pays lots of money.

Being Russian has nothing to do with it. The guy just wanted to go play in his home country. You don't think that if the NHL (in some bizzaro world) where located in Europe that eventually some high profile Canadians or Americans would "defect" and come back home to play?

Don't get me wrong, this sucks. I'm pissed he is leaving, but this threads is a little ridiculous.

If the huge payday that is awaiting him was not there, I highly doubt he would be going to Russia.

I'm sure lots of guys currently under contract would love to be free to just dump their current obligations to cash in elsewhere.  But they don't (and can't).  That's why this smells so awful.

Kovalchuk's decision to leave helps the Devils in the long-term without question.  The problem with Russian players isn't their self-centeredness, it's their perceived willingness to not forgo their home country because it has a reasonably competitive hockey league that pays lots of money.

"Perceived"?  I'd say that recent events move it beyond perception to confirmed reality.  Ergo, my original point . . . 

he walked away from 70 mil, and probably into another 100 mil LOL, Opulent!  see ya kovy!  TBH, Im not all that upset, just more shocked. its very debatable but I thought he wasnt the same since his back injury.  sure I'll miss is snipes, but we can use the new found cash

btw who buys the new house in Alpine?

He went home he was a star last season only playing his favourite offense and it's his country. Yes I hate the decision.

I do however think Lou wasn't fair to Devils fans by keeping this to himself. The team as I see it today won't be competitive for the playoffs. More moves if possible could change that. Time will tell. One thing Kovy will never have is a CUP and in the NHL Hall Of Fame. He doesn't seem to care and maybe that's because he realized he's not that good in the NHL play the Devils way.

I'm sure lots of guys currently under contract would love to be free to just dump their current obligations to cash in elsewhere.  But they don't (and can't).  That's why this smells so awful.

The Devils aren't going to stop him because they don't want to pay him $50M over the next 5 years.  

"Perceived"?  I'd say that recent events move it beyond perception to confirmed reality.  Ergo, my original point . . . 

I don't think that's the case at all.  Most top Russian players are still in the NHL.

Parise is a bigger douche, planning to leave during the Finas for crying out loud.  That's why they lost, no doubt in my mind.

This...this is a joke, right? You can't honestly believe Parise wasn't putting in a complete effort when he was 4 wins away from what he's been working for his entire life.

The Devils aren't going to stop him because they don't want to pay him $50M over the next 5 years.  

I don't think that's the case at all.  Most top Russian players are still in the NHL.

The fact that many are here does not mean that would it be irrational to consider the fact that many others -- albeit to date none of Kovy's stature -- have returned.  So are you saying that it would be unreasonable for a GM to consider that fact when making a personnel decision?  I think not . . . 

Edited by smelly