Where can the Devils find a D for F swap?

Triumph

I still can't figure out why there hasn't been a trade yet. Does anyone have an idea?

There are a lot of teams out there who could use some solid defensemen, and I'm sure most of them know about NJ's surplus. I'm not sold on the "we're winning, why change?" approach, and I'm sure GMs don't think in this way. But I wonder if the fact that the Devils have been winning adds leverage to a potential trade, as it shows that New Jersey CAN add, but isn't desperate to do so.

Let's say Edmonton is a potential trade partner. Because their weaknesses have already been exposed, it would seem that they would need a Devils piece more than the Devils would need one of theirs. This could possibly be a good strategy.

Other than that, I wonder if it's just Lou's style to bring in new players as the season progresses so that it doesn't shake up the team too much. Maybe it won't be until after Henrique returns that we see something come together.

It's just very puzzling to have Adam Larsson waiting around. This could be a breakout year for him, but instead, his talent is being wasted.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teams are still figuring out what they have. We haven't seen a ton of moves around the league, so it's not like NJ is getting caught flat-footed here while everyone else shores up their needs.

I definitely think the guy that has to go is Henrik Tallinder - NJ takes 5 straight penalties and he's not used on the PK? He's just getting even strength time and that's pretty dumb for a guy who should still be pretty good.

Teams are still figuring out what they have. We haven't seen a ton of moves around the league, so it's not like NJ is getting caught flat-footed here while everyone else shores up their needs.

I definitely think the guy that has to go is Henrik Tallinder - NJ takes 5 straight penalties and he's not used on the PK? He's just getting even strength time and that's pretty dumb for a guy who should still be pretty good.

Is the object to just get rid of a defenseman to make room for Larsson for nothing or is it to find a forward for that defenseman in a trade? I dunno how we'll look w/ Henrique back in place of Tedenby but the emphasis on the board's just seemed to be shifting a little more towards dumping Tallinder. But, Tri, do you have any idea what we could possibly get back for him? Other teams see a defenseman who's not playing the PP on a team without great offensive D-men and a guy who's not good enough for our PK so what of any value could we get?

Great point re: tallinder. Just doesn't make sense. He certainly seemed pretty good last year, even when he came back for the finals. But if he were the one on the chopping block, wouldn't you think they play him more to show his worth?

Great point re: tallinder. Just doesn't make sense. He certainly seemed pretty good last year, even when he came back for the finals. But if he were the one on the chopping block, wouldn't you think they play him more to show his worth?

I might be naive but I don't believe that teams showcase players a quarter as much as fans think they do. First of all, the coach largely dictates ice time, while I'm sure Lou and DeBoer talk daily about such things, I can't see them trying to boost a guy's value by playing him more.

Is the object to just get rid of a defenseman to make room for Larsson for nothing or is it to find a forward for that defenseman in a trade? I dunno how we'll look w/ Henrique back in place of Tedenby but the emphasis on the board's just seemed to be shifting a little more towards dumping Tallinder. But, Tri, do you have any idea what we could possibly get back for him? Other teams see a defenseman who's not playing the PP on a team without great offensive D-men and a guy who's not good enough for our PK so what of any value could we get?

If the Devils have to move Tallinder for say, a 3rd, then spend, say, a 2nd on Simon Gagne or the like, so be it. They should be trading a defenseman for a forward, or a defenseman for something which they could move elsewhere for a forward.