Where can the Devils find a D for F swap?

Triumph

Everyone plays dump and chase. Everyone plays enter the zone with the puck, too. It depends on what the defense is giving you. Might the Devils have been better at dump and chase than most teams, therefore chose to do it more often? Yeah maybe, especially against the Flyers. But I can guarantee that if someone examined zone entries for the Devils they would find that Kovalchuk carries the puck into the zone more often than other Devils, and he was injured and basically unable to gain the zone with speed.

I can think of a ton of goals that were scored off the rush. I was just talking about plays that exhibited creativity.

It's always better if you can do both effectively. And you're usually left with what the defense gives you. I agree with Sterio though, with the eye test anyway, there was too much dump and chase at least on the powerplay.

Is Gomez at all effective anymore carrying the puck into the offensive zone?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone plays dump and chase. Everyone plays enter the zone with the puck, too. It depends on what the defense is giving you. Might the Devils have been better at dump and chase than most teams, therefore chose to do it more often? Yeah maybe, especially against the Flyers. But I can guarantee that if someone examined zone entries for the Devils they would find that Kovalchuk carries the puck into the zone more often than other Devils, and he was injured and basically unable to gain the zone with speed.

I can think of a ton of goals that were scored off the rush. I was just talking about plays that exhibited creativity.

so you said that you didnt think the Devils played dump and chase and then... said every teams play dump and chase... :headless chicken:

thats another thing our defence was not giving much, i remember clearly our dmen in our zone simply dumping the puck around the red line just to be picked up by the other teams dmen coming right back at us... like all the time. Our breakouts and transitions was really not great either as soon we'd get possession of the puck in the neutral zone we'd dump it and would have to battle to get that possession again. So the guys were CONSTANTLY chasing, battling and trying to get the puck to make plays around the boards and VERY RARELY even trying to make plays down the middle or across. Too bad cause a bunch of our goals we're scored that way, when one of the guy would finally get out of the same routine.

i bitched all year about the guys not sending puck to the net from everywhere and they were really not, going around the net not even looking in front if there was someone... around the boards and to the point for a shot was the only thing they were looking for, and what do you know. The best and most important goal of the playoffs happened when Poni threw the puck at the net for that famous scramble.

so you said that you didnt think the Devils played dump and chase and then... said every teams play dump and chase... :headless chicken:

Teams take what they are given. What I am saying is that the Devils weren't dumping the puck in on odd-man rushes or breakaways. It wasn't a default strategy. It was taking what they were given.

thats another thing our defence was not giving much, i remember clearly our dmen in our zone simply dumping the puck around the red line just to be picked up by the other teams dmen coming right back at us... like all the time. Our breakouts and transitions was really not great either as soon we'd get possession of the puck in the neutral zone we'd dump it and would have to battle to get that possession again. So the guys were CONSTANTLY chasing, battling and trying to get the puck to make plays around the boards and VERY RARELY even trying to make plays down the middle or across. Too bad cause a bunch of our goals we're scored that way, when one of the guy would finally get out of the same routine.

i bitched all year about the guys not sending puck to the net from everywhere and they were really not, going around the net not even looking in front if there was someone... around the boards and to the point for a shot was the only thing they were looking for, and what do you know. The best and most important goal of the playoffs happened when Poni threw the puck at the net for that famous scramble.

Just blindly throwing the puck to the net can have all sorts of bad consequences. Yeah, that play worked, but as a rule just tossing the puck from the boards at the net is not generally a winning strategy.

Teams take what they are given. What I am saying is that the Devils weren't dumping the puck in on odd-man rushes or breakaways. It wasn't a default strategy. It was taking what they were given.

Just blindly throwing the puck to the net can have all sorts of bad consequences. Yeah, that play worked, but as a rule just tossing the puck from the boards at the net is not generally a winning strategy.

is that why coaches are telling their players to send puck in Brodeur's feet all game long from anywhere? or keep hearing players saying mid period that they just have to send pucks to the net and work it off the rebounds and bla bla bla

is that why coaches are telling their players to send puck in Brodeur's feet all game long from anywhere?

that's just Brodeur specific though. Normally probably better to keep possession an cycle so there's less of an opportunity for a shot turning into a block or something and a breakout the other way

is that why coaches are telling their players to send puck in Brodeur's feet all game long from anywhere? or keep hearing players saying mid period that they just have to send pucks to the net and work it off the rebounds and bla bla bla

They do? Could explain why Brodeur's save percentage is going up throughout the year if coaches are telling them to make a bad-percentage play all the time.

When players say 'get pucks to the net', they're not talking about shooting from the blueline or along the boards necessarily - they're talking about getting it to the front when there's opportunities. When you have a shot, don't look for a pass.

I can almost guarantee that there is a move going to be made before the season starts, and here's why.

Lou blames a lot of 2010-11 on himself for having too many people on board at the start of the season. I'm too lazy to look up and try and find quotes now but I'm sure they could be found. Langenbrunner was hurt, players knew he was going to come back and someone was going to be shipped out. I doubt Lou rolls the dice in a similar situation.

I can almost guarantee that there is a move going to be made before the season starts, and here's why.

Lou blames a lot of 2010-11 on himself for having too many people on board at the start of the season. I'm too lazy to look up and try and find quotes now but I'm sure they could be found. Langenbrunner was hurt, players knew he was going to come back and someone was going to be shipped out. I doubt Lou rolls the dice in a similar situation.

He's already made it to this point, though. He had all summer to make a move - now there was probably inertia on the part of GMs waiting to see how things would shake out, but this situation has been present since about July 3 or whenever the Devils re-signed Salvador.

Seems like an odd arguement against "dump and Chase" like saying "clutching and grabbing" is bad. Quite frankly you do what works and is effective. The devils dumped and used an terrific forcheck to maintain pressure and create turnovers and MOST IMPORTANTLY, MAINTAIN PUCK POSSESSION. You heard this over and over during the playoffs in regards to SOG.

Your initial comment makes it sound as if we should apologize for when we dump it in but it doesn't mention we specificaly looked for what was the most likely to allow us to "keep the puck deep" and maintain pressure.

I remember Jeff Marek saying something like putting pucks in his feet was the general gameplan vs Brodeur but I dunno about super low % shots or anything just aiming there instead of high or whatever

Broduer, when he makes a save standing up, does awful when that puck is right in between his feet. I think that's why we've seen more of his butterfly lately than his stand up style. When he stays up to make a save and the puck drops quickly, the puck is uncovered for a split second until Broduer can get down on top of it. That's what they look for, I think when they say throw pucks at his feet.

This obviously doesn't work if the other goalie is a butterfly goalie, seeing as they don't make saves on their feet.

DP26: Fistric is a bottom pair defender - I don't really know why the Oilers see fit to add another but I guess they are painfully short on blueliners in general still.

As for the Stars, they have Goligoski, Daley, Robidas, Larsen, Rome, and Brenden Dillon. Don't think there's a fit - I think they see Larsen as a top 4 guy.

Edited by Triumph

personally i'd really like to see Kovy sticking on the LW.. his one timer is such a threat at any time from that side.

I think PDB is a great coach so I trust whatever he does but I'm surprised that they want Kovalchuk on the right. They seem to want Zajac and Butler together so I guess they want to try Kovalchuk with 2 of Elias, Henrique, or Zubrus. I'd rather see Elias as a center since he is solid in that role and I view Henrique as a LW long term. Brainstorming/guessing what they may want:

Elias-Henrique-Kovalchuk

Zubrus-Zajac-Butler

Might have been discussed earlier but on the NHL Network they were talking about Anaheim who will reportedly look to trade Getzlaf and Perry if they do not agree to contract extensions by the trade deadline. I wouldn't mind Getzlaf if we can get him without giving up too much. What do you guys think?

Might have been discussed earlier but on the NHL Network they were talking about Anaheim who will reportedly look to trade Getzlaf and Perry if they do not agree to contract extensions by the trade deadline. I wouldn't mind Getzlaf if we can get him without giving up too much. What do you guys think?

Not as rentals, which is what they would be.

Perry if he signed so no since it won't happen. Getzlaf stunk last year

• 2 weeks later...

Bump - with Ian White and Carlo Colaiacovo out, the Red Wings are dressing 3 rookies on defense or 2 rookies and Jakub Kindl if he returns on Friday. I thought they were in the market for defense anyway. Plus we traded them a defenseman in the last lockout shortened year and that's the last trade of any significance NJ has made with Detroit that I can remember.

Edited by Triumph

Bump - with Ian White and Carlo Colaiacovo out, the Red Wings are dressing 3 rookies on defense or 2 rookies and Jakub Kindl if he returns on Friday. I thought they were in the market for defense anyway. Plus we traded them a defenseman in the last lockout shortened year and that's the last trade of any significance NJ has made with Detroit that I can remember.
Is it feasible to think we could somehow pry Filpula from them, or am I aiming too high?

Abdelkater or Cleary are the only ones I can think of that would be a match. Cleary would just be a rental though. I think we could hold out a little longer and get better value from someone else.

Saw the Oilers - Sharks game last night. The Oilers' defense is horrible. They need to find a way to improve it if they want to get to the postseason.

The problem with trading with a horrible team is that they have no use for Greene or Tallinder since they won't be difference makers for a team that has so far to go. They would probably ask for Larsson or Fayne.

Is it feasible to think we could somehow pry Filpula from them, or am I aiming too high?

I doubt they'd trade him. He's a 60 point player and they don't really have that many young forwards to follow Datsyuk and Zetterberg unless Brunner pans out. You'd probably try to get a young player like Nyquist who they don't have room for right now but could probably play for NJ regularly

They would probably ask for Larsson ...

Then we ask for Hall or the Nuge back