Official: Parise Signs 1-Year Deal

devilsrule33

I understand where people are coming from saying thats its safer that way because of zach's knee and everything, i get it and its making sense. I wont deny it

BUT... That wasnt Lou's plan, and people denying this are either in denial or just love the taste of lou's balls a bit too much imo...

- If that was the plan all along why did he filled for arbitration so he can have more time, after he got that extra time... Took the last week or so to really get into it and ran out of time

- why would he repeatly say that it was a priority and that he wanted to get a long term deal done.

- the waiting for the cap annoucement excuses is now bullsh!t

- the waiting for a coach annoucement excuses is now bullsh!t

- the waiting for the draft excuses is now bullsh!t

- actually any excuses are now bullsh!t

If that was really Lou's plan he could have done it a long time ago and then why all those moves to get some cap space?

Plain and simple... Lou said it... They ran out of time... Means he didnt accomplish what he wanted... Thsts a fail and thats 100% lou's fault... Zach has been saying for MONTHS that he wanted to enter contract talks and lou was sitting in his ass waiting and ran out of time

Edited by SterioDesign

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm neutral on this deal. Obviously we all wanted to see more years.

We can't be angry at Lou without information about how ownership is affecting things.

The Rolston trade had to happen anyway. We would be over the cap now if we had kept him. We might not have used all of the space freed up by the trade effectively though.

We'd be at worst around 500k over the cap with a 23-man roster with the $3 million difference between Rolston and Hunter, and that's counting Salvador too.

what are we gonna do with the remaining cap?

Thats what im hoping for... To see something creative out of this at least...

Or we could get something at the trade deadline... I know were not used to have money to spend but you also dont always have to spend every penny to be competitive... I guess we'll see

While I hoping for a long-term deal now, just like everyone else on this board (and all other Devil fans), I really can't complain about this deal. Bottom line we have Parise set for this year, and now both sides get to see if he is truly healthy. The Devils don't want to take an unnecessary risk (as someone put it "like the Isles getting DP'ed), and Zach knows he can command more money if he does stay healthy. And I don't think Lou is particularly worried about the later scenario since we have White's and Salvador's contracts coming off the books next year. I will remain optimistic.

I am glad he is signed even if it is only one year without going to arbitration. After this coming season more money is available for a better deal, it is obvious that Parise won't sign for $6 M per season. I want him as a Devil for a long time.

Thank you.. Exactly my point..

Like I keep repeating, it's a win-win:

- Lou avoids arb and has cap space if need be

- Zach will get more money from the Devils if he waits to start his long term contract next season

This is a GOOD thing guys, so let's just show a little patience here..

We'd be at worst around 500k over the cap with a 23-man roster with the $3 million difference between Rolston and Hunter, and that's counting Salvador too.

True, but that deal to get yourself out of being capped out always costs more than the one that avoids it.

what are we gonna do with the remaining cap?

Well we don't have to bludgeon a player to get him on LTIR lol

I think Lou was really uncomfortable with his bargaining position last season due to being up against the cap.. Having room, if it does nothing else, takes away another GMs leverage over him when negotiating a deal.. Also, he can trade up to a player with higher cap hit if he wants..

If we are in solid playoff position come trade deadline, Lou could make a splash at someone with a higher cap hit than if he were right up against the cap

- Zach will get more money from the Devils if he waits to start his long term contract next season

Oh he'll get more money but now it might not be from the Devils, there's no way that's a good thing. And it keeps alive all the speculation about ownership issues, Zach wanting out, etc that I was hoping wouldn't be a distraction the next six months to a year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

arbitration is really strange, and i don't know if anyone's ever gone to arbitration coming off a season like zach's. i'm not convinced he would've gotten more than 5.5M in arbitration. so 6M is kind of a favor. i think it's notable that 6M is also kovalchuk's salary for next year, and elias's cap hit.

I was just thinking this right before I read your post Tri. Given some time to think about it now, I think that's significant coming off the injury, and I'm hoping it's something Zach doesn't forget whe it comes time to hammer out a long-term deal.

Edited by MadDog2020

A lot of people act like Lou is a dumb ****. Who has engineered 3 Stanley Cup winning teams? Too be a fan of the Devils should be an honor, it could be a lot worse.

Worse case scenario is we don't reach an agreement by January and we trade him for a top 2 defender or a top center orrrrr we go for a run and get elimanted, the losers at HFboards have some clusterfvk spas attacks of GIFs, Parise goes signs somewhere else at a low cap hit and long term, THAT team goes wins multiple cups, we then lose Zajac down the road, Elias retires, DeBoer is fired, TG sneaks every joke he can into his gametime tweets, Steve Cangelosi's voice broadcasts the loss of Zach Parise, and par9 comes back(or is he back)

or...

Parise signs longterm once he can

But, Hey!, we have Kovalchuk for life! :cheers:

I am glad he is signed even if it is only one year without going to arbitration. After this coming season more money is available for a better deal, it is obvious that Parise won't sign for $6 M per season. I want him as a Devil for a long time.

And if he isn't you can't blame this one on Lou. This is 100 percent a product of JVB not being able to shed his Lehman Brothers mentality, i.e. leverage up to the eyeballs with the hope that no one will call you on it or that someone will come to your rescue.

This whole idea that they "didn't have enough time" to put a deal together until the arbitration hearing is about as lame as Ferris Bueller's clammy hands excuse (a non-specific symptom, I'm a big believer in it). Corporate mergers can get ironed out in less time than evidently it takes to come to terms with a left-winger.

umm, im neutral about this deal and next year is going to be really hectic with Marty and Zajac's contracts up and now Parise, that is the only problem i see right now, like LeMaire said "one game at a time"... one year at a time

true but not sure I understand he could have avoided arb and Parise could have been signed to a long term deal with the same cap hit in the first year while not taking away from the cap space.

Edited by titans04

true but not sure I understand he could have avoided arb and Parise could have been signed to a long term deal with the same cap hit in the first year while not taking away from the cap space.

Zach is probably looking for a deal starting at 7M per, so what some people are saying is sign him at 6M and negotiate long term starting next year when some contracts are off the books.

Sorry, but I'm not onboard with everyone that is trying to sugarcoat this. The fact is that Lou wanted to get a long term deal done (any explanations as to why he secretly didn't are delusional), and he wasn't able to. In my eyes, that's a clear failure on Lou's part.

To make matters worse, I think he bungled this whole thing since day 1. He waited until the proverbial last minute to even start talking to Parise, when Zach has been saying for months now that he's waiting. Then, Lou resorts to signing a 1 year deal (which is extremely dangerous heading into UFA) because, as he himself explained it, he ran out of time. Maybe he wouldn't have run out of time if he would have actually tried talking to Parise anytime other than, oh I dunno, a week before his arbitration hearing.

For those saying this is good because we have more cap space next year, and we get to see how Parise's knee is this year, give it a break. As has been shown many times over the past few weeks, we have plenty of cap space this year to sign Parise to a long term contract. As for his knee, there is no reason to believe that there will be any lingering effects. This isn't a concussion.

At the end of the day, Lou likely left Parise with a bad taste in his mouth from this whole experience, and now if Parise has a fantastic year, not only is there a very real possibility that he will test, and likely dip into free agency (after all, essentially every team in the league will offer him maximum salary), but even if he does sign with us, we will probably end up paying him a lot more than what we could have gotten him for today. I'm not sure how anyone can really tell me that this isn't a failure on Lou's part.

Edited by Amberite

i really but REALLY hope youre right... unfortunately it just cant agree as for now. Im obviously a little whinny bitch right now i gotta agree but i really feel that its justified hahahaha

- Lou is avoiding arbitration yes... but i mean, thats avoiding a problem that he created himself for waiting last minute while Zach was open to begin talks months and months ago, thats not a win at all? especially if signing zach to a one year deal to test his knee was the plan all along... it doesnt make sense, he could have done that long time ago. Bottom line his plan was to get a long-term deal done and failed

- Zach will get more money if his knee is really back 100% that's for sure. But we have/had the cap space now, Zach should get from 6 to 7.5 TOP and we have that... even if we have 45millions cap space next season... well... so what? zach would just get the same amount he would have got this season.

I just seriously can't take Lou's patience anymore... the WORST thing is that we're gonna have to wait and wait and wait again for months... its terrible, i seriously just want to sit back and enjoy the ride but i cant cause there's always something to worry about with the Devils

Sorry, but I'm not onboard with everyone that is trying to sugarcoat this. The fact is that Lou wanted to get a long term deal done (any explanations as to why he secretly didn't are delusional), and he wasn't able to. In my eyes, that's a clear failure on Lou's part.

To make matters worse, I think he bungled this whole thing since day 1. He waited until the proverbial last minute to even start talking to Parise, when Zach has been saying for months now that he's waiting. Then, Lou resorts to signing a 1 year deal (which is extremely dangerous heading into UFA) because, as he himself explained it, he ran out of time. Maybe he wouldn't have run out of time if he would have actually tried talking to Parise anytime other than, oh I dunno, a week before his arbitration hearing.

For those saying this is good because we have more cap space next year, and we get to see how Parise's knee is this year, give it a break. As has been shown many times over the past few weeks, we have plenty of cap space this year to sign Parise to a long term contract. As for his knee, there is no reason to believe that there will be any lingering effects. This isn't a concussion.

At the end of the day, Lou likely left Parise with a bad taste in his mouth from this whole experience, and now if Parise has a fantastic year, not only is there a very real possibility that he will test, and likely dip into free agency (after all, essentially every team in the league will offer him maximum salary), but even if he does sign with us, we will probably end up paying him a lot more than what we could have gotten him for today. I'm not sure how anyone can really tell me that this isn't a failure on Lou's part.

There you go! were thinking the same damn way, Lou's patience is hurting the team, cost us last season.

If Parise wants to play for the Devils, he will. If not, hopefully Lou can secure an appropriate return.

i think its safe to say that if from now to february that they havent reach an agreement on a long-term deal they have to trade him. Not as if he would change his mind on July 1st and we just cant take the chance to lose him for nothing. So we may be able to fetch a PMD or a solid center or a good pick

Zach wanted to get a long-term deal done too, so it must be a failure on his part also.

You actually think he ran out of time?

I hate to respond to this with sarcasm, but c'mon - knee injuries have had lingering effects on players, and to not believe that they never have is naive.

That's if Parise has a fantastic year, something which I'm not sure I'd be betting on. He's an excellent player, but he still plays here, and this team still doesn't draw power plays or have a particularly good power play.

- Lou is avoiding arbitration yes... but i mean, thats avoiding a problem that he created himself for waiting last minute while Zach was open to begin talks months and months ago, thats not a win at all? especially if signing zach to a one year deal to test his knee was the plan all along... it doesnt make sense, he could have done that long time ago. Bottom line his plan was to get a long-term deal done and failed

Yep, because Lou was just sitting around on his hands staring at the sky all season long and every day during the off-season this summer. Oh wait, he's gotten a tremendous amount done and has made some great signings. But just because he didn't get the most difficult negotiation process done by a deadline that would make us all happy, let's just say he's waiting until the last minute and not doing his job.

He hasn't failed to get a long term deal. He still has a whole season to get one agreed upon. It's not like it's all on him either. If Zach really wanted to get the process done with quickly, he could make his demands easy to meet and I'm sure Lou would have no problem with it. But I don't blame Parise for trying to get the most he can in the place he wants to play. If anything, it should be seen as a positive sign that both sides were able to agree on a fair one-year deal so that they can continue negotiating until a long-term deal is agreed upon. If we had gone to arbitration, then I'd be worried.

- Zach will get more money if his knee is really back 100% that's for sure. But we have/had the cap space now, Zach should get from 6 to 7.5 TOP and we have that... even if we have 45millions cap space next season... well... so what? zach would just get the same amount he would have got this season.

How do you know how much he is worth and whether or not Lou offered those terms? There is a lot going on here. Signing him for 10+ years is a big risk. Will his price go up if he has an amazing season? Maybe. But what happens if he has a mediocre season? Or if he gets injured again? Wouldn't you like to have this information before you commit to him for 10 or more seasons? If his price goes up a bit from a fantastic season, then I see that as a positive. We will have the cap space to meet his demands and if he has a great season, that means the team will likely have a great season too and he's only more likely to stay.

I just seriously can't take Lou's patience anymore... the WORST thing is that we're gonna have to wait and wait and wait again for months... its terrible, i seriously just want to sit back and enjoy the ride but i cant cause there's always something to worry about with the Devils

Dude, we're going to have hockey to watch, and hopefully a great team on the ice. We will have less time to sit around and worry our asses off about Parise when we actually have games going on.