Official: Parise Signs 1-Year Deal

devilsrule33

The only thing keeping Zach Parise from being a Devil...is Zach Parise.

this is pretty accurate. i don't doubt that if he hits UFA, someone will offer him more, but i'm not sure it will be THAT much more and so it comes down to where he wants to play. i believe him when he says that all things being equal, he'd like to stay here.

didn't miss out there, either. if NJ could wheel out datsyuk, zetterberg, and lidstrom for rafalski to play with, it would've been a safer investment.

that helped rafalski, but i don't think it's fair to say that his last 5 years were simply a product of the detroit team around him. he helped make them too.

What precisely do we need the extra cap space for at this point?

that cap space may come in handy during the season when they can essentially trade for anyone they want without any regards for cap.

-------------

for those pissed at lou - asking why he was so patient, why he wasn't talking to parise, why is there only a one year deal - this should be clear as day. a deal like andy greene, maybe JVB gives it about 10 seconds of thought (if any) or just lets lou do it. a parise deal when zach is no doubt asking for 5/45 or 10/80 or something of that nature - JVB is ALL over it. and knowing how kovalchuk was dominated by Vanderbeek, and how much he loves parise as well, its clear he is in no position to offer another contract like that. hell, gilfilan and chambers might have told him they would not allow it because they don't want to be on the hook for it and could turn the sale ugly if JVB didn't go along. the arbitration hearing was coming up and it was clear that nothing was going to change on the ownership front in the next 4 days so they just got this done.

that everyone says they'll keep working towards a deal, parise's camp saying this made the most sense for everyone, and all the rest would lead me to believe that the Devils made it clear that as of this moment, they can't give him the deal they both might want. but in a few months, if ownership issues are resolved, that deal will be there for him.

and to those asking why parise wouldn't just wait until UFA - the CBA expiration helps a ton there for the devils. while a long work stoppage is unlikely, its still possible and there will almost certainly be changes that aren't player friendly. the point being that signing a deal during this CBA has less risk to Parise then waiting for the new one - assuming the devils actually offer a market deal.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not worth worrying about!? fvckin' a, I need some of the sh!t you're smoking. i'm a worrywart because I've seen Lou fvck up before and I'm not ready to see Lou fvck up again. If Zach says bye and we watch him leave with no return (see: Niedermayer, Scott. Gomez, Scott.) it's DEVASTATING for the franchise and the fanbase.

I think I'm chill about this for the same reason you're not; that is, I've seen Lou fvck up so many times that I'm practically immune to it now. No use kvetching about Parise leaving the team until he, you know, ACTUALLY LEAVES.

deal 3:

1 year $x million (because fvck if that matters

14 years, $110m with the New York Rangers.

can we recover as a franchise if Sather decides a local boy with that kind of talent is a once-in-a-lifetime oppurtunity?

Oh for the love of... :rant: There's that classic New Jersey Inferiority Complex that drives me up the fvcking wall. Every single time a Devil gets anywhere close to free agency it's "ohhhh, he's going to give us the finger and sign with the Rangers!!!! :headless chicken:" :blahblah:

But what the hell are they going to do with their cap space this year? Why trade Rolston for cap space when there's no FA's or need for it this year, unless it was going to a monster Parise deal? Cap Space is useless if you don't spend it. I don't get trading Rolston and signing Parise to one year, 6 mill at all for the Devils.

Cap space is good to have. We all saw how handcuffed Lou was when he was right up against the cap. And there's no rule that says you have to spend every last available cent.

Maybe, They elected arbitration to prevent an offer sheet. They sign a 1 year deal for 6 million with the intention of canceling the arbitration so that they can negotiate and get a deal done before training camp...regardless 6 mil a year for the first year of a structured contract seems smart and about right.

This, all of it, especially the part about preventing offer sheets.

I think Lou's idea of longterm was 5-7 yrs which leaves Parise in a bad spot to get paid (32-34). Parise's idea was likely lifetime (10-12yrs).

Good point.

Zach wanted to get a long-term deal done too, so it must be a failure on his part also.

In some way it is, but I'm sure you'd agree that the burden of getting it done is more on Lou than on Zach. After all, Parise is the one that has to wait to be approached, and not the other way around.

You actually think he ran out of time?

I can only go by what Lou publicly stated. And from his quotes, it certainly sounds like he felt he ran out of time: “It was just the right thing under the present circumstances because of the time frame,” Lamoriello said. “With the arbitration coming up, we would not have got it done”

I hate to respond to this with sarcasm, but c'mon - knee injuries have had lingering effects on players, and to not believe that they never have is naive.

They certainly have, but when the player isn't rushed back, these types of surgeries generally end up successful and the player doesn't have any lingering effects. I can't think of many players off the top of my head that had enough time to recuperate and still had issues.

That's if Parise has a fantastic year, something which I'm not sure I'd be betting on. He's an excellent player, but he still plays here, and this team still doesn't draw power plays or have a particularly good power play.

If Parise gets 90 points, which is very possible, he will attract maximum offer contracts.

Edited by Amberite

amber: if you sincerely think parise will get maximum offers (which, under the present salary cap, would be 12.8M), why would parise even consider what the devils are offering?

Haha to be perfectly honest I didn't even realize it was that high. No, I don't think he'll get $12.8M offers. But I think he'll approach $10M, which I don't think the Devils will come close to offering.

Look, I'm not saying that we are absolutely screwed. I'm saying that we are not in a very good situation, one which could easily turn real ugly next year, and that Lou could have handled things differently.

and to those asking why parise wouldn't just wait until UFA - the CBA expiration helps a ton there for the devils. while a long work stoppage is unlikely, its still possible and there will almost certainly be changes that aren't player friendly. the point being that signing a deal during this CBA has less risk to Parise then waiting for the new one - assuming the devils actually offer a market deal.

But the only way that affects the contract Zach gets offered is if they come to an agreement on a new CBA BEFORE July since it's not set to expire till September.

To make matters worse, I think he bungled this whole thing since day 1. He waited until the proverbial last minute to even start talking to Parise, when Zach has been saying for months now that he's waiting. Then, Lou resorts to signing a 1 year deal (which is extremely dangerous heading into UFA) because, as he himself explained it, he ran out of time. Maybe he wouldn't have run out of time if he would have actually tried talking to Parise anytime other than, oh I dunno, a week before his arbitration hearing.

Well if you really want to look at it with gumdrops and lollipops perhaps he did run out of time - out of time waiting for the ownership mess to sort itself out and it could also explain the delay in actually talking to Zach on a new deal. Of course I'm a bit more pessimistic than that and am either not expecting this to end well or expecting Zach'll get his pound of flesh on July 1 like Elias did best case.

Edited by NJDevs4978

the devils are in a cap and team position to match just about anything parise would reasonably get in future years. to do so now makes it a liability on the books for potential owners and investors. its quite possible there are bank covenants on loans the devils have that don't allow for that much salary to be committed.

my point is that the fact that there is no long term deal right now is almost certainly ownership driven and only possibly because parise asked for the absolute moon.

I posted this on HF, which pretty much sums up my thoughts thinking about the last few hours. I can't help but shake the rumors from throughout the year or how close he was to Langs and Pandolfo, both of whom left on bad terms. I'm thinking he just doesn't want to be here and is trying to get to UFA.

Like I've said before I don't like this one bit. Throughout the season one would read nuggets in different articles about scuttle but about Zach wanting out. Not just twitter or HF rumors, which are meaningless, but in published articles. You don't know if it is just speculation or if there is something behind it. You look at who he was friendly with on the team and those guys (Langenbrunner and Pandolfo) didn't leave on good terms. Now granted that was of their doing, but still. It makes you wonder if he is happy here. Then comes this 1-year deal. You look at all that and you have to wonder if he wants to be here or wants out and is biding his time.

Here is a quote I want to throw out.

"I think the fact that we're able to get a number that's comfortable with both sides is a good sign,"... "We hope he's going to be with us for a long time, but that's something we'll deal with in due time."

Sounds like stuff we heard tonight from both sides. That quote was from then Panthers GM Jacques Martin when they settled with Bouwmeester the year before he left. There were rumors that he wanted out, but the Panthers held on thinking they could get him to sign. We now know he had no intention of ever re-signing with them. There are other examples. You can't really believe what either party says in these things.

And as I have said many other times this sounds like the Sutter thing. You here one thing about how he wants to leave at the end of the year from one place. Than a similar nugget somewhere else. Then he gets asked and he protest to the Devils writers. At the end of the season he is gone. I think the whole Sutter thing contributed to the Devils late side at the end of that year and maybe a bit to the playoff loss to Carolina because they went entered in a funk.

I can't shake those feelings. It is going to be a looming questions. Honestly given those feelings I hope they trade him this summer.

the devils are in a cap and team position to match just about anything parise would reasonably get in future years. to do so now makes it a liability on the books for potential owners and investors. its quite possible there are bank covenants on loans the devils have that don't allow for that much salary to be committed.

my point is that the fact that there is no long term deal right now is almost certainly ownership driven and only possibly because parise asked for the absolute moon.

By becoming a ufa next season Parise also gains all the leverage in free agency.

jkr, bouwmeester was an excellent player on a go-nowhere franchise. what incentive would bouwmeester have to stay in florida?

they're also not going to trade him. even if they knew for a fact he was leaving, it wouldn't make much sense to deal him.

Edited by Triumph

they're also not going to trade him. even if they knew for a fact he was leaving, it wouldn't make much sense to deal him.

i'm not sure if you're referring to bouwmeester or parise in this statement, but if the devils are bad again, and parise isn't signed, i think you have to trade him.

i'm not sure if you're referring to bouwmeester or parise in this statement, but if the devils are bad again, and parise isn't signed, i think you have to trade him.

I think the expectation is the Devils will be good. If the Devils are good then Parise won't be dealt. If they stink then he might be, depending how talks are going.

Oh he'll get more money but now it might not be from the Devils, there's no way that's a good thing. And it keeps alive all the speculation about ownership issues, Zach wanting out, etc that I was hoping wouldn't be a distraction the next six months to a year.

Yes, it keeps alive the typical paranoia and ridiculous fears that never really seem to play out.. Seems like a lot of people prefer to see things that way than to take step back and analyze the situation the way Lou really would.. Zach will be a Devil long term, but this will keep a lot of people "excited" for a while

Zach is probably looking for a deal starting at 7M per, so what some people are saying is sign him at 6M and negotiate long term starting next year when some contracts are off the books.

Yes!!

let's say there's really that management problem that they need to get settle first or wtv... can they go public about it? at least to let people know that that was the problem or wtv (if thats the case) or they keep that behind close doors... cause there's team like nashville that we know are not willing to spend to the cap for some reasons.

As much as I was devastated by this news and think it makes a realistic possibility this could be Parise's last year in NJ, it's the right move. Sorry but you can't just hand out an 8-10 year contract to a guy who missed almost an entire season. We already locked Kovy up in too long of a contract, you can't do another long term big money deal like that with another guy who missed a season. Then if Kovy and Parise severely under perform the franchise is handicapped for a decade.

let's say there's really that management problem that they need to get settle first or wtv... can they go public about it? at least to let people know that that was the problem or wtv (if thats the case) or they keep that behind close doors... cause there's team like nashville that we know are not willing to spend to the cap for some reasons.

if you are trying to sell part of a team, why in the world would you ever go public with information like, 'hey, we can't sign our best player to a long-term deal because of this'. that's sure to make negotiations go smoother.

Yes, it keeps alive the typical paranoia and ridiculous fears that never really seem to play out..

Never play out lol, for a year and a half I've been saying Manta was paranoid to the nth degree but what have the Devils done as a franchise to disprove any of it so far? They've been a .500 team for a year and a half and Parise's inching closer to the door since we lavished our time and attention on Kovy last year. I've been saying others are paranoid about the Devils' financial issues but that's become like the Sutter thing, the gremlin under the bed that just won't go away.

If they sign a deal in January then you can feel free to be an I told you so but there's really no evidence anymore that this is going to happen. Both sides are giving it lip service, yeah both sides gave a long-term deal lip service too and had months to talk, how did that work out?

Edited by NJDevs4978

Never play out lol, for a year and a half I've been saying Manta was paranoid to the nth degree but what have the Devils done as a franchise to disprove any of it so far? They've been a .500 team for a year and a half and Parise's inching closer to the door since we lavished our time and attention on Kovy last year.

If they sign a deal in January then you can feel free to be an I told you so but there's really no evidence anymore that this is going to happen. Both sides are giving it lip service, yeah both sides gave a long-term deal lip service too and had months to talk, how did that work out?

I dunno, how did Zach Parise being healthy work out? Can you name one player who signed a lifetime deal coming off a <40 game season? Hell, even name one who got a 6+ year contract (I'm sure there is at least one, can't think of him right now though)

I dunno, how did Zach Parise being healthy work out? Can you name one player who signed a lifetime deal coming off a <40 game season? Hell, even name one who got a 6+ year contract (I'm sure there is at least one, can't think of him right now though)

Lou didn't sign anyone to a lifetime deal in twenty years of GM'ing before last year either - particularly someone who'd only been here thirty games - there's always a first for everything.

And Elias got a seven-year deal coming off a <40 game season, for starters (well okay it wasn't below 40 including playoffs but still).

Edited by NJDevs4978

I made it to page 3... C'est tres amusante!

It seems everyone has forgotten how Lou operates. Kovalchuk was an anomoly! Lou pays out after he feels a guy has earned it. You earn it after living through your first UFA signing. Then even if you suck he'll sign you to a huge paycheck mid-season a la Madden, white etc, OR he'll get you back to the team with a muti-million post 35yearold contract a la Rolston. It's embarassing but it's Lou. If Lou feels you've been with the team too short a time he puts the screws to you - Claude, Mogilny, Niewendyke ... and for emerging UFAs --- they have to wait until they are officially named UFAs and CHOOSE the Devils offer. Holik, Niedermayer, Elias, Gomez... and now it's Parise's turn to start up with the "We haven;t heard a thing from Lou" come January 2012... February same statement, March, April May -- we'll say it's the playoffs after that.... then we'll all see Zach hoisting the Cup and still no word from lou. We'll have our usual June 30th panic and then.... we'll see.... but don't go thinking ANYTHING will happen until next july. It will not. Zach has to survive the UFA test - Conn Smyth or no...

The nice thing for Zach is he knows he can sign a 10 year deal with the Wings and play like a beached whale he'll still get a huge contract from Lou in his golden years, We'll see Zach with a 50 million/5 year contract with the Devils .... on July 28th, 2019

This IS my real expectation. and I dont think it's that tongue in cheek. Except I'm assuming Zach won't settle for Lou's sh!t. It may be worth it. I don't know, because I'm not behind the scenes. Elias, Marty and Stevens all thought it was worth it.

Lou didn't sign anyone to a lifetime deal in twenty years of GM'ing before last year either - particularly someone who'd only been here thirty games - there's always a first for everything.

And Elias got a seven-year deal coming off a <40 game season, for starters (well okay it wasn't below 40 including playoffs but still).

Elias was a completely different situation. He earned his offer by finishing the season putting up 22 goals and 39 assists in 47 games(reg season + playoffs). By contrast, Zach Parise hadn't registered a point in 9 full months as of yesterday.