Official: Parise Signs 1-Year Deal

devilsrule33

and as for Manta's fear mongering -- the problem is that the pre-kovalchuk and post-Kovalchuk logic he's trying to play up against each other ---- is flawed.

How does one big contract change the standard for being a Devils player, when the standard is not being adversely affected by other players' contracts?

It doesn't. If a player won't sign because of Kovalchuk's contract ..... he never would have signed with the Devils organization. EVER. unless the paradigm was changed forever and the Devils turned Rangers.

They haven't. The story of Kovalchuk ruining the team is over. There is nothing to bitch about. It was a one year directive from ownership. If a player cannot accept that, he's not a player you want on the Devils.

If there was a significant change in philosophy I might agree -- but this is the same story as always. There is no new monkey wrnech thrown in here. It is what it is since as long as I've been even a casual fan.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elias was a completely different situation. He earned his offer by finishing the season putting up 22 goals and 39 assists in 47 games(reg season + playoffs). By contrast, Zach Parise hadn't registered a point in 9 full months as of yesterday.

AND Elias TOOK the offer. We don't know what anyone else who didn't take it was offered. Because Elias WOULD take the offer he got that kind of an offer. I know some of you aren't able to understand that logic -- but it IS Devils logic :evil:

Lou didn't sign anyone to a lifetime deal in twenty years of GM'ing before last year either - particularly someone who'd only been here thirty games - there's always a first for everything.

that's because no one besides wayne gretzky ever got a lifetime deal. a lifetime deal didn't make sense under the old rules for player or team. we're seeing these as fairly commonplace. hell, christian ehrhoff got one. it's all the rage now.

And Elias got a seven-year deal coming off a <40 game season, for starters (well okay it wasn't below 40 including playoffs but still).

true, but

A: that was a medical condition, not an injury - slight difference

B: he dominated when he came back

I really hope Parise doesn't read the forums.

My guess is that he'd laugh at the people afraid of him leaving.. It's not happening.. He'll be resigned long term by the trade dealine, the Devils will have the extra cap room to possibly make some good deals, and Zach will get his big multi-year contract at a higher cap hit than if he had signed it right now

I know I'll take a ton of crap if I'm wrong, but I have such a strong gut feeling about this that I don't think I will be wrong

1- I laugh at anyone who bothers to even respond to a manta post on a topic like this

2- Agreeing to a contract is a two way street. While some people are bashing Lou and blaming him, perhaps Zach had NO intentions of signing for long term. Maybe he doesn't like NJ.

My guess is that he'd laugh at the people afraid of him leaving.. It's not happening.. He'll be resigned long term by the trade dealine, the Devils will have the extra cap room to possibly make some good deals, and Zach will get his big multi-year contract at a higher cap hit than if he had signed it right now

I know I'll take a ton of crap if I'm wrong, but I have such a strong gut feeling about this that I don't think I will be wrong

I appreciate your optimism, but it feels like we've seen this happen so many times before. Gomez, Rafalski, Gionta, Nieds, I'm sure there are others. No, they aren't all the exact same scenario, but there are similarities. Lou doesn't like negotiating during the season, and as these guys get closer to free agency, they decide to see whats out there. And a lot of guys aren't willing to take less to stay here. The only mid-season extensions were Marty and Stevens, and that was because of McMullen pushing for them to be signed.

I guess we are just uneasy with how this may play out. Honestly, I hope they sign something January 1st. But if they get to the trade deadline and nothing is signed...

Also, I think the ownership turmoil is playing a big part in this.

2- Agreeing to a contract is a two way street. While some people are bashing Lou and blaming him, perhaps Zach had NO intentions of signing for long term. Maybe he doesn't like NJ.

Then he could've/should've asked for a trade. Lou would've shipped his ass out real quick.

i think we all know here that Lou will obviously not sign him (even if he could) in January and thats what pissing me off so bad...

its gonna be a weird season... you will kinda want Parise to have a good season... but not too good? so that he can ask for the moon lol

1- I laugh at anyone who bothers to even respond to a manta post on a topic like this

Personally, I think this was the logical move from lou's and the franchise's perspective. How can anyone be comfortable signing a player to a long term multi million dollar deal after the player was sidelined with a knee injury that required surgery. Let's not forget that zach came back for literally one game before sitting out the rest because of soreness. As much as Id like to see him play his career as a devil, you can't just throw money into the wind. And as for zach having no intentions to stay here, he has said multiple times the complete opposite. If anything, I think the fact that they were able to take care of this without arbitration says a significant amount about the parties' relationship. In my humble opinion, absent a disaster of a season, zach will be signed long term.

ZP has stated many times that he hopes to remain here in NJ. He doesnt want to go anywhere else, so he says.

IMO he will play this season with the 1 year contract and this time next year he will sign a larger, not kovalchuk sized, contract with us.

i think we all know here that Lou will obviously not sign him (even if he could) in January and thats what pissing me off so bad...

its gonna be a weird season... you will kinda want Parise to have a good season... but not too good? so that he can ask for the moon lol

here's an awesome scenario...

since.... @andystrickland

Nashville is looking to sign Captain Shea Weber to a long term deal but he's interested in signing a short term deal at this time.

Weber sign 1 year with Nashville... trade Webber for Parise... Enjoy the season with Weber... watch how Parise's knee is doing, then resign Parise and weber July 1st. BAM... maybe then Rinne would like to follow his teamate here too...

2012-2013

=========

Parise - Zajac - Tedenby

Kovalchuk - Josefson - Palmieri

Elias - Zubrus - Clarkson

Pelley - Henrique - Hunter

Weber - Volchenkov

Larsson - Tallinder

White(cheaper) - Green

(Fayne/Taormina/Merril/Burlon/Urbom)

Rinne

Brodeur

:koolaid:

ZP has stated many times that he hopes to remain here in NJ. He doesnt want to go anywhere else, so he says.

I don't put much stock in stuff like that. It's the right, easy and PC thing to say for a pro athlete. If you say the opposite then there's trouble a-brewin'.

here's an awesome scenario...

since.... @andystrickland

Nashville is looking to sign Captain Shea Weber to a long term deal but he's interested in signing a short term deal at this time.

Weber sign 1 year with Nashville... trade Webber for Parise... Enjoy the season with Weber... watch how Parise's knee is doing, then resign Parise and weber July 1st. BAM... maybe then Rinne would like to follow his teamate here too...

2012-2013

=========

Parise - Zajac - Tedenby

Kovalchuk - Josefson - Palmieri

Elias - Zubrus - Clarkson

Pelley - Henrique - Hunter

Weber - Volchenkov

Larsson - Tallinder

White(cheaper) - Green

(Fayne/Taormina/Merril/Burlon/Urbom)

Rinne

Brodeur

:koolaid:

I like where your head's at but its the Devils we are talking here.....there is no way luck will fall in our favor that much.

I don't put much stock in stuff like that. It's the right, easy and PC thing to say for a pro athlete. If you say the opposite then there's trouble a-brewin'.

Thats true but I just dont think he would stress is so much. Its easy to say yeah I like it here and dont want to go anywhere else, but he really truely does seem happy here and hopefully its the truth.

Edited by Quinn01

Correct me if I'm wrong but:

If they went to arbitration, Parise could've made at most 80% of his last year's salary due to the amount of games he played in last year.

Essentially, arbitration would've ensured the Devils only paid Parise 4 million dollars at most this year.

The Devils are paying him 6 million this year.

How is this not a positive sign for things to come? You don't give a guy 2 million dollars more if you aren't expecting to sign him long term for the future.

If they went to arbitration, Parise could've made at most 80% of his last year's salary due to the amount of games he played in last year.

Essentially, arbitration would've ensured the Devils only paid Parise 4 million dollars at most this year.

How is this not a positive sign for things to come? You don't give a guy 2 million dollars more if you aren't expecting to sign him long term for the future.

well you certainly give him the extra 2million to put the chances on your side thats for sure... but you actually dont really have a choice if you want to keep him

he could've gotten a minimum of 85%, which i don't really see as possible. i think he would've gotten something like 5.5M if they had gone to arbitration.

but you actually dont really have a choice if you want to keep him

and yet this is true of every player in the league.

I appreciate your optimism, but it feels like we've seen this happen so many times before. Gomez, Rafalski, Gionta, Nieds, I'm sure there are others. No, they aren't all the exact same scenario, but there are similarities. Lou doesn't like negotiating during the season, and as these guys get closer to free agency, they decide to see whats out there. And a lot of guys aren't willing to take less to stay here. The only mid-season extensions were Marty and Stevens, and that was because of McMullen pushing for them to be signed.

I guess we are just uneasy with how this may play out. Honestly, I hope they sign something January 1st. But if they get to the trade deadline and nothing is signed...

Also, I think the ownership turmoil is playing a big part in this.

I don't remember Stevens being signed in-season but I'll take your word for it. Marty's in-season one was the easiest negotiation known to man since Marty himself was the one in a hundred that didn't look to go for every last cent, and he didn't have an agent Lou needed to go through.

So, Zach didn't get a Long Term Contract yet. hmm. You know what I'm going to do about it!!!???!!!

I'm going to root for MY DEVILS and take what they give THIS SEASON and cheer Zach, Patty, Ilya, Brody, Travis, Zubes and the rest EVERY GAME for them to kick ass and take names all the way to Lord Stanleys Cup!!!

THAT'S WHAT!!!

I think the generous 1 yr paycheck was both parties backup plan as I believe they both could see how $6M was the minimum cap hit they'd have come to were they to come to a long term agreement. And it puts him on equal footing with the other FWDs. I could see how that might be important. I think the only up side to not having Zach inked 4life is getting to see the leg status. Gotta make a little koolaid.gif with the hoof so to speak.

I don't mean to "pick on you" Darth, but you echo many opinions here with your passionate, if misguided, words. moosegrin.gif

Not signing a guy because there is a potential he hurts himself (based on, uh, nothing) is one of the more stupid comments in this thread. Which says a lot.

What part of an injury that takes you out for 70 games means nothing to you??

If Zach isn't a part of the future of the Devils, he shouldn't take the ice for us next year. Trading him for a valuable asset (like a Drew Doughty) is galaxies better than watching him walk to the Rangers.

That's ridiculous. Parise shouldn't play with the Devils and help win the Stanley Cup because he didn't get a long contract?? I'll take the cup then let him celebrate and think how awesome it will be to do this a dozen more times koolaid.gif Then he can sign on the Devils line! smilydev.gif

Yeah, I'll take back the complaining if he re-signs. But all of y'all who sing kumbaya while the face of our franchise sits a year away from free agency will flip a monkey sh!t if he doesn't.

Guess he aint the face yet, then is he? Our face IS Brodeur. It will be Parise and/or Kovalchuk. It will SUCK ROYAL hinde tit to lose Zach, but we haven't, so the gloom and doom can wait. Let's enjoy what this upcoming season will hold first, then celebrate when Zach signs long term when it hopefully happens.

Shhhhhhhh..... Drink please, drink... Doesn't it look refreshing? Don't you want some?

15mcz0n.jpg