Official: Parise Signs 1-Year Deal

devilsrule33

For everyone that says this is a bad thing. Everyone on these boards with an exception of a few was just saying that Lou was the man for getting rid of rolston. Now he has signed Parise for one year. A few things could happen here, The devils now have some cap space to get another player at the deadline if they need one which would show Parise that they are trying to win. The Devils may not be contender this year and if so Lou had the option of trading Parise which I do not thing would ever happen. Parise took the 6mil offer to avoid arbitration which he certianly would not have got. This shows commitment from Lou and the Devils and also shows that Parise is willing to work with Lou on a long term deal. The devils are in a much better situation cap wise next year and if anyone doesnt think Parise knows this is stupid. Parise will come out flying this year drive up his stock in the NHL and Lou will be forced to sign him to a long term deal during the season. Lou may not like to sign extensions during the season but Lou is not an idiot there is know way he lets this go to UFA. Look at the moves Lou had made so far in the off season. He got rid of PLL who sucked, Brought in Boulton and Janssen to toughen up the team. Dont even think of comparing these two tough guys to Peters, Peters was never the same once he got nailed for using steroids which was kept hush hush. I would take both Boulton and Janssen over Peters. Lou has now signed Parise yes for one year but he will sign a long term deal this year. So the Devils are starting to look pretty dam good right now. Oh and forgot to mention Lou brought in a coach that did an amazing job with Florida considering what he was given. Lets see what he can do with some superstars and a hall of fame goalie. For everyone that is saying Lou must go last time i checked he was the GM and has been for years and will be for years to come. So lets all leave Lou alone let him do his job which i am sure there is more people leaving before season starts would bet by the end of next week either some salary or two players are leaving for picks. I am excited for this season and really think the Devils can make a run for it this year.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes, My eyes are burning from reading all the flaming post on Lou and how he has screwed up.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's an awesome scenario...

Stop it. Awesome scenario is winning the cup and signing Zach long term next year. We'll get a quailty goalie, if not from the system, then one will want to come here and replace Brodys name on the cup for a few years!!!

Whether we go far in the playoffs/win the cup or not does that influence ZP's own personal decision to test the market or do some of you really think that he isnt just in it for the money...if thats possible, IE Elias.

I believe he is NOT JUST in it for the $$. I believe he will stay with the winning Devils for a fair discounted offer.

The Legend status awaits him if he stays. koolaid.gif

We signed Rolston - overloaded contract -the majority of this board CELEBRATED. We felt likely the prom queen finally picked us - he didn't produce - it bit us in the ass and the contract hamstrung the cap.

After getting his ideal coach he still failed. Folks called Lou out for being short-sided and foolish - some even demanded his resignation.

Lou's not making a long-term mistake again unless he's sure the player can produce. He did his homework with Kovy. HE's doing more homework now.

Everybody here wants the immediate gratification of the ZP long-term contract for their own gratification - with no thought to the long-term ramifications of the injury or the implication of the contract money going into the future. IF ZP's game didn't return to form - they would call out Lou for not doing his homework and just being reckless and killing the franchise through a bad contract. LL can't win.

People just want the celebration with zero thought to the ramifications.

LOU's 2011 Summer:

- Draft Larsson - signs a cheap contract

- Trades useless scrub/fighter PL3 for nice draft pick.

- Gets a potentially long-term good coach instead of a MTL retread (without leaking the news)

- Trades the immovable Rolston contract for felxibility

- Resigns Hedberg for under market value

- Doesn't overpay for any UFA's (pays AG @ market value) in this inflated market.

Yeah, clearly he's lost it.

This is Zach's choice now - you can't FORCE him to stay.

Edited by DevilinLA

whistling.gif Actually ... I know some fellas... unsure.gifph34r.gif

.LOU's 2011 Summer:

- Gets a potentially long-term good coach instead of a MTL retread (without leaking the news)

- Doesn't overpay for any UFA's (pays AG @ market value) in this inflated market.

- trade useless scrub/fighter PL3 just to sign 2 other... Worst hockey player

I mean yeah we could see all of this as a LOT of stuff... But look what the flyers did in one afternoon.... It would have took 2 years for lou to pull something like that lol

I mean yeah we could see all of this as a LOT of stuff... But look what the flyers did in one afternoon.... It would have took 2 years for lou to pull something like that lol

Yes Lou traded a useless scrub/fighter in PL3 but as far as u saying he signed two others not true. Janssen when he plays and I still think he will only be in if Boulton is hurt or for teams with alot of toughness, He will bring a spark to a team. Look at Kovy for instance when he knows people have his back he plays harder almost with a mean streak. Janssen and Boulton add this. Boulton can skate and is a good defensive 4th line guy. He is very seldom out of postion and if you have watched him play he is always one of the first fowards back to help out the D. Boulton can hit he can fight and he also can get the puck deep and keep it there. If he can have chemsitry with his line mates like he did in Atlanta which seemed to have the best 4th line in the NHL then whats the problem with him I ask. I am a firm believer that every team needs some toughness and a guy that will stick up for his team. If that means fighting at the right time to give your team a spark or hard hit. Could be pissing the other teams stars off by getting in their face. When another team starts taking liberties on your star players and they will you will be glad Lou signed Boulton and Janssen

The more I read your posts the more I believe that YOU wanted a long-term deal for ZP REGARDLESS of any of the true long-term and global consequences such as:

- Player health

- Cap hit

- Team balance

- Organizational Financial Stability

- Actual Player Value

I am curious to know why you feel SO strongly about this?

Also:

- If he wants top dollar - Can you tie up $8M + $6.66 in two LW's on a team?

- Does he really want to be here?

- IS ZP the true catalyst between this team and a deep post-season

I think Lou obviouslly knows a lot they we don't know about this situation in regards to all the variable and machinations. I also think there is another move being attempted here - whether or not it comes to fruition we'll see.

At the end of the day Lou is responsible for the REPERCUSSIONS of a CONTRACT signing - and I trust his experience at this point to know when the time to offer up term and dollars and when to exercise patience. I don't think you do this for 20 YEARS without learning how to effectively evaluate player skill, effectiveness, player attitude, and commitment.

We signed Rolston - overloaded contract -the majority of this board CELEBRATED. We felt likely the prom queen finally picked us - he didn't produce - it bit us in the ass and the contract hamstrung the cap.

After getting his ideal coach he still failed. Folks called Lou out for being short-sided and foolish - some even demanded his resignation.

Lou's not making a long-term mistake again unless he's sure the player can produce. He did his homework with Kovy. HE's doing more homework now.

Everybody here wants the immediate gratification of the ZP long-term contract for their own gratification - with no thought to the long-term ramifications of the injury or the implication of the contract money going into the future. IF ZP's game didn't return to form - they would call out Lou for not doing his homework and just being reckless and killing the franchise through a bad contract. LL can't win.

People just want the celebration with zero thought to the ramifications.

LOU's 2011 Summer:

great post, can't disagree with anything. i think lou's had his best summer since the salary cap came into existence. and yeah, we'd all like for parise to be signed long-term, but this is a huge decision for the franchise. taking one more year for each side to decide they'd like to be here isn't the end of the world.

(although i notice you don't mention greene in your recap, haha, but whatever - no need to sidetrack anything)

great post, can't disagree with anything. i think lou's had his best summer since the salary cap came into existence. and yeah, we'd all like for parise to be signed long-term, but this is a huge decision for the franchise. taking one more year for each side to decide they'd like to be here isn't the end of the world.

(although i notice you don't mention greene in your recap, haha, but whatever - no need to sidetrack anything)

I abbreviated him as AG.

The more I read your posts the more I believe that YOU wanted a long-term deal for ZP REGARDLESS of any of the true long-term and global consequences such as:

- Player health

- Cap hit

- Team balance

- Organizational Financial Stability

- Actual Player Value

I am curious to know why you feel SO strongly about this?

Also:

- If he wants top dollar - Can you tie up $8M + $6.66 in two LW's on a team?

- Does he really want to be here?

- IS ZP the true catalyst between this team and a deep post-season

I think Lou obviouslly knows a lot they we don't know about this situation in regards to all the variable and machinations. I also think there is another move being attempted here - whether or not it comes to fruition we'll see.

At the end of the day Lou is responsible for the REPERCUSSIONS of a CONTRACT signing - and I trust his experience at this point to know when the time to offer up term and dollars and when to exercise patience. I don't think you do this for 20 YEARS without learning how to effectively evaluate player skill, effectiveness, player attitude, and commitment.

Fair enough man, i see where youre coming from and all, and im also a believer that you need toughness but not with goons who can barely skate... i believe in toughness with players like Richards, Lucic, Clarkson, etc etc... package players, thats theres actually a chance that they are on the ice at the same time with the player they are suppose to protect. But thats just a different point of view here.

the risks you are pointing out are alright too and i know its risky to sign a player long-term coming off a big injury, obviously. But the specific situation that we're in right now, that i can only imagine from Zach's point of view.

- saw 2 of his best buds in the team leaving on bad term. WAS at Langs place when he got traded... you can't have a strong and positive feeling with the organization after that.

- Then we got that other LW superstar who stole a bunch of his ice time 2 years ago in the playoffs, and who he could see him taking the face of the franchise away from him. Saw the organization go HARD on him and then a year after they seem to wait till last minute and wait till last minute... and i guess both sides were really far in terms of what they wanted so he may think that they see him less than Kovy or wtv.

- He said he was not thrilled with all the coaches and then we got another guy that he doesnt know. May not be a bad thing obviously but it also could.

then he knows Brodeurs is leaving soon and so is Lou... think about it... you really dont know whats coming for NJ in a few years with Lou's replacement, not as if they got a young guy like Tampa or Pittsburgh.

so its just ALL of those little thing that makes me think that Zach really is not on a huge high about NJ right now, and he could very well want to test the market more than ever now and if so, Lou just gave him that opportunity. Now we can only HOPE that he wants to stay cause we may lose him for nothing and it would be one if not the worst day in the organization.

thats my point... its a terrible timing after all that sh!t to risk to let him go. And from a selfish stand of point... im seriously sick of always have to be waiting and worried about that organization, and when you feel that way its worst to see Lou go and make it look like he's taking his damn sweet time to do everything (that he is really or not thats how it looks)

thats that.

I believe that our success or failure as a team mid-season determines Parise's future with this team. By January Zach will be able to see the writing on the wall on whether or not he can add to the success of a Stanley Cup-bound of team or flounder on a mediocre to decent club.

Fair enough man, i see where youre coming from and all, and im also a believer that you need toughness but not with goons who can barely skate... i believe in toughness with players like Richards, Lucic, Clarkson, etc etc... package players, thats theres actually a chance that they are on the ice at the same time with the player they are suppose to protect. But thats just a different point of view here.

the risks you are pointing out are alright too and i know its risky to sign a player long-term coming off a big injury, obviously. But the specific situation that we're in right now, that i can only imagine from Zach's point of view.

- saw 2 of his best buds in the team leaving on bad term. WAS at Langs place when he got traded... you can't have a strong and positive feeling with the organization after that.

- Then we got that other LW superstar who stole a bunch of his ice time 2 years ago in the playoffs, and who he could see him taking the face of the franchise away from him. Saw the organization go HARD on him and then a year after they seem to wait till last minute and wait till last minute... and i guess both sides were really far in terms of what they wanted so he may think that they see him less than Kovy or wtv.

- He said he was not thrilled with all the coaches and then we got another guy that he doesnt know. May not be a bad thing obviously but it also could.

then he knows Brodeurs is leaving soon and so is Lou... think about it... you really dont know whats coming for NJ in a few years with Lou's replacement, not as if they got a young guy like Tampa or Pittsburgh.

so its just ALL of those little thing that makes me think that Zach really is not on a huge high about NJ right now, and he could very well want to test the market more than ever now and if so, Lou just gave him that opportunity. Now we can only HOPE that he wants to stay cause we may lose him for nothing and it would be one if not the worst day in the organization.

thats my point... its a terrible timing after all that sh!t to risk to let him go. And from a selfish stand of point... im seriously sick of always have to be waiting and worried about that organization, and when you feel that way its worst to see Lou go and make it look like he's taking his damn sweet time to do everything (that he is really or not thats how it looks)

thats that.

Zach has to trust the organization and Lou. Period.

Goaltending is the only legitimate question.

- If LANGS wasn't traded perhaps we would have finished the season with being in the 30th place.

- I'm sure he can see that Rolston wasn't living up to his contract.

- He's seen vets more than willing to return to NJ time after time.

- Larsson, Teddy, and Yayo insures some great future here.

- My only question is what was PAUL MARTIN's beef? That's the only discontent I see.

LOU is waiting because these are SERIOUS multi-million dollar decision that you can't simply TAKE BACK (and if you do you look like a trainwreck franchise like across the river). Ultimately if he signs ZP for 15 years and it doesn't work out it will TARNISH the legacy he's created here and hamper the franchise well into the future. This is a VERY important decision for NJ and Lou - bigger than anything we've seen since NEids.

one thing i think people on the negative side overstate is how much these guys think of hockey as a business. your friends are always being traded or leaving the team. parise's been playing organized hockey since he can remember, friends come and go. his dad was in the business as well.

the idea that kovalchuk stole ice time from parise in the 2010 playoffs is also ridiculous.

Edited by Triumph

Zach has to trust the organization and Lou. Period.

Goaltending is the only legitimate question.

- If LANGS wasn't traded perhaps we would have finished the season with being in the 30th place.

- I'm sure he can see that Rolston wasn't living up to his contract.

- He's seen vets more than willing to return to NJ time after time.

- Larsson, Teddy, and Yayo insures some great future here.

- My only question is what was PAUL MARTIN's beef? That's the only discontent I see.

LOU is waiting because these are SERIOUS multi-million dollar decision that you can't simply TAKE BACK (and if you do you look like a trainwreck franchise like across the river). Ultimately if he signs ZP for 15 years and it doesn't work out it will TARNISH the legacy he's created here and hamper the franchise well into the future. This is a VERY important decision for NJ and Lou - bigger than anything we've seen since NEids.

Fair enough again... See im not here saying someone not thinking the same way that i do is wrong... We can only agree to disagree i guess.

But the thing is MOST people here were all about resigning zach long-term... A few were worried about his knee... Then almost everyyyyone is jumping on the knee thing for an excuse to Lou... I will say it again... That wasnt lou's plan ! So something went wrong, that its both sides not agreeing on terms, management not willing to get that crazy deal done because of them trying to sell parts, or that lou just ran out of time or wtv... Its still a possibility that lou just really fvcked it up. But it seems like nobody wants to admit that may have failed... They rather make him look like a genius eventho what we got isnt what he wanted

But the thing is MOST people here were all about resigning zach long-term... A few were worried about his knee... Then almost everyyyyone is jumping on the knee thing for an excuse to Lou... I will say it again... That wasnt lou's plan ! So something went wrong, that its both sides not agreeing on terms, management not willing to get that crazy deal done because of them trying to sell parts, or that lou just ran out of time or wtv... Its still a possibility that lou just really fvcked it up. But it seems like nobody wants to admit that may have failed... They rather make him look like a genius eventho what we got isnt what he wanted

why do you think a long-term deal wouldn't get done if both sides were interested in having a long-term deal done? this is a genuine question.

why do you think a long-term deal wouldn't get done if both sides were interested in having a long-term deal done? this is a genuine question.

well it could very well happen its a possibility, maybe its even guaranteed behind closed door and that they have an agreement. We wouldnt know but what is worrying me is based on what Zach said a few months ago

"Lou has never been one to talk contracts prior to a player reaching their UFA year. As a player can you tell us whether or not you think that has an effect on whether or not the player remains?"

(Asked by Jeff)

I think at times it may have a little impact. Everyone knows that Lou does things a certain way and prefers to wait until the season is over in order to not make it a distraction for a player. I can’t speak for anyone else, but sometimes a player may think, “Why not wait an extra two months until July 1 to see what kind of interest there is out there?”

So thats revealing... thats coming straight from the guy. Its not the usual "i like it here and this is where i want to play" sh!t that EVERY SINGLE player is saying except Heatley. Of course he could go as far as testing the market and still signed with NJ. But its a terrible risk.

i got to admit there's a lot of selfishness in my comments based on that i really hate and can't stand Lou's way of dealing with stuff, and its been a terrible ride for the last few years and i can't stand it anymore. But its obviously not the right way to see it, i'm aware of that.

so now that you got your answer i'd like to have mine that nobody answered so far...

Why can't anybody agree that Lou failed this one. It may be good or bad at the end of the day, yes. But he got the one year deal cause they couldnt agree on something else in time and ran out of time. His plan was to get a long-term deal done and didnt for one reason or another. So Lou went with the ONLY possibility that he had and signed him one year. So why is everyone here jumping on the Lou is genius bandwagon, when all he did what mostly the only option? I'd really like to know

if Lou was worried that much about Zach's knee, he could have bring Zach to the rookies camp for a few scrimmage or something i dont think its crazy to imagine that or make him do some extra testing on the ice, send scouts to games that Zach played like those exhibitions games in Minny or wtv.

All im saying is if Zach still endup in NJ its not because of Lou its only because he really but REALLY wanted to stay here.

Edited by SterioDesign

Why can't anybody agree that Lou failed this one. It may be good or bad at the end of the day, yes. But he got the one year deal cause they couldnt agree on something else in time and ran out of time. His plan was to get a long-term deal done and didnt for one reason or another. So Lou went with the ONLY possibility that he had and signed him one year. So why is everyone here jumping on the Lou is genius bandwagon, when all he did what mostly the only option? I'd really like to know

the signing of a long-term contract relies on incomplete information, even at the general manager level. there's always risk in signing one. as fans, we have even less information than the general manager. we're not privy to the team's financial situation. we're not privy to the player's medical information. we don't know what the player's salary demands are.

if Lou was worried that much about Zach's knee, he could have bring Zach to the rookies camp for a few scrimmage or something i dont think its crazy to imagine that or make him do some extra testing on the ice, send scouts to games that Zach played like those exhibitions games in Minny or wtv.

that's totally ridiculous. lou would never ask a player to do that, and zach would be totally crazy to accept.

All im saying is if Zach still endup in NJ its not because of Lou its only because he really but REALLY wanted to stay here.

i see no mention at all of vanderbeek in your post. that's the person who has to sign off on a long-term deal. lou is the go-between in this sort of negotiation. just review his quotes about the kovalchuk contract - he admits the kovalchuk contract shouldn't exist, and he says it was ownership's decision to make that move.

Edited by Triumph

the signing of a long-term contract relies on incomplete information, even at the general manager level. there's always risk in signing one. as fans, we have even less information than the general manager. we're not privy to the team's financial situation. we're not privy to the player's medical information. we don't know what the player's salary demands are.

... well yeah... i know that, but thats like saying that water is wet... you havent brought anything based on what i said there, plus i said many many times that im taking in consideration that we dont know everything. You would assume that Lou and the owner would have talked about it if they could sign him long-term and everything before he actually go out and say publicly that he wanted to get him long-term (which he may endup getting, we dont know) but as for now i still don't like how he handled it, if they we're tight with the cap or having problem with the administration or wtv, they could still have sat with Zach a LONG TIME ago at least just to know what he was looking for and everything, there was no and i repeat NO REASON to wait this long just to begin talks, i dont mind not getting the deal done this late but they certainly could have start to talk way way way way way wayyyy earlier so then maybe they wouldnt have "ran out of time."

that's totally ridiculous. lou would never ask a player to do that, and zach would be totally crazy to accept.

see i know it wouldnt be normal but i really don't see this as ridiculous. Time is running out and they can't wait for training camp. And its totally normal coming from the organization to be worried about his health and IF that was the only concern about him stopping them from handing him a huge paycheck for years to come i really dont see this as ridiculous. to wait a whole year and risk to lose him instead of running tests during the summer at no risk? thats ridiculous.

i see no mention at all of vanderbeek in your post. that's the person who has to sign off on a long-term deal. lou is the go-between in this sort of negotiation. just review his quotes about the kovalchuk contract - he admits the kovalchuk contract shouldn't exist, and he says it was ownership's decision to make that move.

i know that. But JVB is not the one waiting last minute for everything, like i said earlier NOTHING NOTHING and NOTHING was holding Lou's to have just even a quick discussion with zach's agent just to get the ball rolling and so both sides have an idea of whats going on, and if there was concern about the management or that they were waiting for the cap announcement or anything they could have told him that too. Again, Lou RAN OUT OF TIME, who knows what could have happened if he would have had all the time he wanted? you cant get the best out of a situation when you have to settle for less cause you ran out of time.

Once a player request or a team demands arbitration the only contract that can be signed per the CBA before the arbitration date is a one year contract. The Player and the team can continue to negotiate but can't sign an extension until after 1/1/next of the present season. In Parise case he can sign a multi year contract after 1/1/2012.

Finally a good move from Lou.

6 years after the lockout Lou returns to the job of GM.