NHL could loan cash-strapped Devils money for operating costs

msweet

Greg Wyshynski @wyshynski

Bettman on Devils: Helping owners sort out, team is stable.

David Shoalts @dshoalts

Bettman says NHL "is not subsidizing" New Jersey Devils but implied league is advancing money to the team from its share of league revenue.

David Shoalts @dshoalts

Bettman also said Ray Chambers is still the main co-owner of Devils with Jeff Vanderbeek. He's trying to get one of them to take over.

Love to hear the word Stable, but its still bad :/

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg Wyshynski @wyshynski

Bettman on Devils: Helping owners sort out, team is stable.

David Shoalts @dshoalts

Bettman says NHL "is not subsidizing" New Jersey Devils but implied league is advancing money to the team from its share of league revenue.

David Shoalts @dshoalts

Bettman also said Ray Chambers is still the main co-owner of Devils with Jeff Vanderbeek. He's trying to get one of them to take over.

Bettman didn't have any problems fining the Devils $3 Million for the Kovy dealings and stealing a couple of draft picks to boot, but now he's going to provide collective cash to the rescue? Nice paradox in today's NHL world.

I'm waiting for the league to lower the CAP, because too many of the franchises are having financial problems. US teams that are doing okay are the big mono markets with plenty of business seating sales.

even if there's report everywhere about it i don't see why all this trouble could prevent us from signing Parise, other than if its scaring him away.

we have about 26m (with the current cap) to spend in the summer on Zach, Brodeur, Ponikarovsky, Carter, Sykora, Janssen, Mills, Salvador, Foster, Fayne...

from all those players some are not returning IMO (Foster, Mills, Janssen) Brodeur could retire so thats some money off the book too... Zach is a priority and should be the first of those player to sign and fill the holes with the other days who should all stay around the same price (except Fayne) or get less money on their next

so basically, wtv what Zach salary and cap hit would be it would not be a problem... it should be "can devils resign parise (their future) with their financial troubles" it should be "can the devils resign Brodeur if he decide to stay for another year"

Edit: i guess huge signing bonuses that other teams could offer would be tempting for zach and his agent

Edited by SterioDesign

even if there's report everywhere about it i don't see why all this trouble could prevent us from signing Parise, other than if its scaring him away.

we have about 26m (with the current cap) to spend in the summer on Zach, Brodeur, Ponikarovsky, Carter, Sykora, Janssen, Mills, Salvador, Foster, Fayne...

from all those players some are not returning IMO (Foster, Mills, Janssen) Brodeur could retire so thats some money off the book too... Zach is a priority and should be the first of those player to sign and fill the holes with the other days who should all stay around the same price (except Fayne) or get less money on their next

so basically, wtv what Zach salary and cap hit would be it would not be a problem... it should be "can devils resign parise (their future) with their financial troubles" it should be "can the devils resign Brodeur if he decide to stay for another year"

Edit: i guess huge signing bonuses that other teams could offer would be tempting for zach and his agent

The way I see it, if Marty wants to come back for another season with the Devils he'll need to take a discount.. It will be more about extending his career 1 more year than it will be about making money for himself.. He could probably make more money next year being retired and building himself as a brand (which he's already started - MB30)

If he wants to be on this team, he needs to take a salary cut to help us out, otherwise Lou should tell him to field offers from other teams and go for his payday