CAR @ NJ 7PM

RunninWithTheDevil

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just know Marty is gonna get the Montreal game.  Schneider better play BOTH Friday and Saturday!

Or else I'll be like :rant:

well thats the problem...let me explain:

a normal coach would have done this....Corey (last night), Marty (Fri), Corey (Sat), Marty (Monday in Montreal)

BUT he decided to play Marty last night...with back to back games coming Fri/Sat

so he'll most likely go with Corey/Marty/Corey in Montreal or Corey/Marty/Marty in Montreal...which will piss off either Corey, the fans or Marty

well thats the problem...let me explain:

a normal coach would have done this....Corey (last night), Marty (Fri), Corey (Sat), Marty (Monday in Montreal)

BUT he decided to play Marty last night...with back to back games coming Fri/Sat

so he'll most likely go with Corey/Marty/Corey in Montreal or Corey/Marty/Marty in Montreal...which will piss off either Corey, the fans or Marty

Marty has no reason to be pissed off.  So I'm willing to piss Marty off if I'm the coach.

yeah. Let's see if Pittsburgh let Crosby / Malkin walk and sign Letestu / Bolland to replace them (and overpay cause if they dont sign anyone they are in even bigger trouble). That should work.

lol yeah okay buddy that's what happened.  PS Parise, Kovalchuk, and Clarkson make $27.5M this year, so take 5 Devils and kick them off the team.  The team is obviously better, but it's not the best team in the league.

lol yeah okay buddy that's what happened. PS Parise, Kovalchuk, and Clarkson make $27.5M this year, so take 5 Devils and kick them off the team. The team is obviously better, but it's not the best team in the league.

the question is when Lou will be looking to pay for a top flight forward. Obviously there are none in the system and you have to be willing to give them a ton of $$$ if you get them via fa... The easiest way to get one is how we got kovy via trade, and then you just have to hope you can resign them. Otherwise you better be willing to give out a parise like contract.

I'm an eternal optimist, but the more I see this team the more I question whether you can win in today's nhl without a big time scorer.

I guess the best hope we have is to be like a Boston who doesn't rely on one or two guys (except right now we're basically doing that with 40 yr old players), have solid d and top end goaltending.

lol yeah okay buddy that's what happened.  PS Parise, Kovalchuk, and Clarkson make $27.5M this year, so take 5 Devils and kick them off the team.  The team is obviously better, but it's not the best team in the league.

if we're going to play this exercise, i think the team doesn't have clowe, jagr, ryder, zidlicky this year if they keep those guys.

the question is when Lou will be looking to pay for a top flight forward. Obviously there are none in the system and you have to be willing to give them a ton of $$$ if you get them via fa... The easiest way to get one is how we got kovy via trade, and then you just have to hope you can resign them. Otherwise you better be willing to give out a parise like contract.

I'm an eternal optimist, but the more I see this team the more I question whether you can win in today's nhl without a big time scorer.

I guess the best hope we have is to be like a Boston who doesn't rely on one or two guys (except right now we're basically doing that with 40 yr old players), have solid d and top end goaltending.

top end free agents don't hit the market that often for lou to get. he paid for parise - zach just didn't take it. he paid for kovalchuk (well, JVB did, but you get my point).

if we're going to play this exercise, i think the team doesn't have clowe, jagr, ryder, zidlicky this year if they keep those guys.

top end free agents don't hit the market that often for lou to get. he paid for parise - zach just didn't take it. he paid for kovalchuk (well, JVB did, but you get my point).

thats why I worry about this team, we let our homegrown (scoring) talent leave over the years, and now what do we have, and what can we get?

if this organization pulls an Islander or Panther type decade of losing...you can kiss them goodbye, as we cant even fill the Rock nowadays

Edited by The 29th Pick

I know and I don't blame Lou at all for either, in fact I might argue that we are in better shape without both of those contracts... But so far (and it's a small sample yes) we haven't seen that production replaced by second tier signings of Brunner clowe and Ryder.

Jagr has been great but I don't think we can count on him being here too long and sustaining this. Geez just think where we would be without him.

At some point we will need to find top forward talent the question is when and how.

thats why I worry about this team, we let our homegrown (scoring) talent leave over the years, and now what do we have, and what can we get?

if this organization pulls an Islander or Panther type decade of losing...you can kiss them goodbye, as we cant even fill the Rock nowadays

Letting our free agents walk is my biggest beef with Lou.

Those guys can make a maximum of $16.4M - you're still $11M short.  Now while I believe the team would be willing to spend more, I don't think they'd be willing to spend $11M more.

Edited by Triumph

yeah and its strange because Lou was never a GM that liked or waited to get players via free agency

yet he let so many of our players get to free agency.....then walk

His "no talking during the season" policy is my biggest annoyance with him.  Although it wouldn't surprise me if he did talk to players during the season, and just said he didn't,  Lou is the most secretive GM in the league bar none.  I also wonder if Lou's strict player policies had an effect.

This is true of every team in the NHL.  Teams get more shots and more zone time when they are behind.

I know; you're right about that. It just seems that for a bunch of games now, the West Coast games particularly, the Devs have looked pretty good when they decide to turn it up a notch. It would be nice to see them try to play like that in short bursts earlier in the game -- like coming out of timeouts and such.