2013-14 OOT Thread

Daniel

Mannnn, tonight sucks. We can't even gain any traction with a win tonight because of the Washington/Columbus game. Win or lose, we're in 7th place tonight.

We really messed ourselves at Yankee Stadium after a good week.

Don't worry about the standings now.  We just need to worry about staying with the pack.

Montreal won. fvck!

Toronto won. fvck!

Columbus beat Washington in regulation. Good.

Ottawa won. fvck!

Anaheim won. Good.

yeah pretty bad oot night for us, but we can't get too worked up about it, all we can do is win our own games.

I would have preferred Washington win in regulation since IMO Columbus is much more of a serious playoff contender.

I post on another board where there are few COL fans who hate their defense. I wonder what it might take to swing a trade for Stastny.

I also was looking over the stars GDT from last night and some there were impressed with volchenkov and Salvador saying quote "that's exactly what we need"

Get on the phone Lou!

But seriously, a guy like statsny is going to cost you a good amount, but he is a ufa and a center to boot. I guess we could move henrique to wing but I'd prefer to hang onto our prospects unless it's an ideal fit.

I also was looking over the stars GDT from last night and some there were impressed with volchenkov and Salvador saying quote "that's exactly what we need"

Get on the phone Lou!

But seriously, a guy like statsny is going to cost you a good amount, but he is a ufa and a center to boot. I guess we could move henrique to wing but I'd prefer to hang onto our prospects unless it's an ideal fit.

I get the UFA thing and I'd only look to trade him if we could have a deal in place for him. I don't think we'd have to move Henrique though, I was thinking we could slide him in between Elias and Brunner. I don't know if Gelinas and Josefson would be a good start to that trade. I'm not looking to move Gelly but out of Larsson/Merrill/Gelly, he would be the one I'd move.

I get the UFA thing and I'd only look to trade him if we could have a deal in place for him. I don't think we'd have to move Henrique though, I was thinking we could slide him in between Elias and Brunner. I don't know if Gelinas and Josefson would be a good start to that trade. I'm not looking to move Gelly but out of Larsson/Merrill/Gelly, he would be the one I'd move.

agreed that gelinas is the easiest to move, I don't think the Avs would be interested in jj at all with their young center depth.

Not to knock your proposal, but I'm wondering if there was any recent trades where a ufa negotiated an extension with his new team prior to being traded...I've seen this bandied about in proposals before but honestly I can't recall it happening in the nhl.

All said yeah stastny would be a great get but I don't think it happens. Lou will probably look into upgrades after the break but I think he'll want to hang into our young d, and without them we aren't getting any big names.

Edited by dmann422

The only way you can trade Gelinas is if you package him and are getting some rising star franchise player in return. No gelly+yayo for a 32 year old left winger or something like that.

I'm not say gelinas alone is equal to that, he would have to be one of the pieces in a deal like that, because he is way more important to us then he likely is to other teams, simply because of what he is doing for our PP. and how he could be a fixture there for many years to come.

If we can round out his defensive game, kid could be a stud.

Get on the phone Lou!

I can't believe they showed interest in Sal. If only dallas brass showed the same POV, we're not that lucky though

Get on the phone Lou!

Interesting you mention that. After the St. Louis game, there were some Blues fans on NHL.com that were kind of praising Salvador in a way. A few other fans of other teams commented and agreed, apparently his stock isn't as low around the league as I thought it was.

I honestly don't think Salvador is as bad as he's made out to be around here. I think people are more frustrated with the fact that guys like Merrill and Larsson are sitting while he's playing. Also some don't like the fact that our captain is a 3rd pairing d.

Salvador is below average but he's still a 3rd pairing nhl defensemen, but I know many disagree with me on that so no need to argue it in the oot thread.

I honestly don't think Salvador is as bad as he's made out to be around here. I think people are more frustrated with the fact that guys like Merrill and Larsson are sitting while he's playing. Also some don't like the fact that our captain is a 3rd pairing d.

Salvador is below average but he's still a 3rd pairing nhl defensemen, but I know many disagree with me on that so no need to argue it in the oot thread.

His ice time is that of a 2nd pairing guy, and that's why we're easy to rip on him.  I think he's a perfect 3rd pairing guy though.  Problem is that we can't have both him and Volcehnkov on this roster.  One has to go.  Salvador is the better option seeing how he doesn't have a NTC and Volch does.

And he should be getting 3rd pairing minutes instead of being out there with the other team's goalie pulled with less than a minute left with only a 1 goal lead.  I know that part is not his fault but when he is out there when the pressure is high he seems to falter right at the most important moment.

And he should be getting 3rd pairing minutes instead of being out there with the other team's goalie pulled with less than a minute left with only a 1 goal lead. I know that part is not his fault but when he is out there when the pressure is high he seems to falter right at the most important moment.

I don't disagree he should get less minutes, but those minutes cannot go to gelinas, which is partially why he has gotten more than he should. I'm fine with Merrill getting them and hopefully now he will, or even if Larsson comes back after the break and you move Volch to the left side that's fine too.

I don't disagree he should get less minutes, but those minutes cannot go to gelinas, which is partially why he has gotten more than he should. I'm fine with Merrill getting them and hopefully now he will, or even if Larsson comes back after the break and you move Volch to the left side that's fine too.

Why can't they go to Gelinas?  He's not any worse defensively than Salvador, and he's 100000x better offensively.

Why can't they go to Gelinas? He's not any worse defensively than Salvador, and he's 100000x better offensively.

hey we can agree to disagree, but clearly Lou and Pete agree with me as evidenced by him getting benched last night and sent down today. The difference between the two defensively is much greater than you think- look at the zone starts.

I can't see the Rags trading their captain, but this is interesting from Dreger: Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Western Conf teams suggest the Rangers are gathering intel on Chris Stewart. Callahan for Stewart would be a sweet deal for the Blues.

It's been reported that they're willing to deal him and Girardi if they're not re-signed.