36 replies to this topic

#21 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:07 PM

it's tough to play the loyalty card. we jump all over guys when they suck - take a look at how langenbrunner's been treated on this board. on one hand we love him when he scores the big goals, on the other we trash him for the stupid penalties and missed oportunities.

very few get a free ride from fans. as much as i hate it when players i like leave my team, i can never fault someone for going for more money. even if it's from a rival like the rangers. i hated holik for leaving and hated him for going to the rangers. but i don't blame him. frankly, patrik can have any reason he likes, should he chose to leave. none will soothe the wound should he go, but he's earned the right to go where he pleases for how ever much he can get. the devils won two cups and he played a major factor in both. he's been their best player not named brodeur, stevens, or neidermayer for the last five years.

i'll be bitterly disappointed if he leaves, but i'll hold no ill will.
"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
Shameless Business Plug - Shop at Capitol Lighting and
1-800lighting.com - Use code NJDEVS10 for 10% OFF

#22 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:24 PM

He means guys like Guerin, Johnny Mac, Holik, etc.

And Niedermayer. You can talk to me again when he wins a cup with any other team but the Devils. The WCF may as well be 16th place by the time 2007 rolls around.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#23 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:50 PM

sundstrom so right you are. It's like SC DEVS FAN posted money is money. It's easy for us to say what's a couple of Million when you are getting 5 M but most if not all of us would jump at the extra money to do the same. How many cars can one buy with a trophy.

#24 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,890 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:03 PM

And Niedermayer. You can talk to me again when he wins a cup with any other team but the Devils. The WCF may as well be 16th place by the time 2007 rolls around.

I have no clue what you're talking about - the Ducks have the best young forward prospect corps in all of hockey possibly. Perry, Getzlaf, Lupul, and Ryan will all be excellent players for the next 10 years.

I'm glad Niedermayer walked because he wasn't worth a max contract, at least not on this team as it is currently - he's not a good enough PP QB to deserve one. The 'Canes are showing you can with with a solid top 6.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#25 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:24 PM

I have no clue what you're talking about - the Ducks have the best young forward prospect corps in all of hockey possibly. Perry, Getzlaf, Lupul, and Ryan will all be excellent players for the next 10 years.

I'm glad Niedermayer walked because he wasn't worth a max contract, at least not on this team as it is currently - he's not a good enough PP QB to deserve one. The 'Canes are showing you can with with a solid top 6.

the way the ducks used him this year he was worth 6 million dollars. It was amazing he totally controled the transition game, and just kept on setting up beauchimen for one timers. He's on the ice for 30 minutes a night, and completly dominates play. I'd love to have him back.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#26 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,179 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:16 AM

Blah blah, how do you like the new NHL, etc.?, questions.

Said the arena in Newark is still going to go up. Talking now about last off-season and how he waited a bit too long with Niedermayer. A new coach is in the near future, and it appears Pat Burns is pretty much out of the question.

A little annoyed they didn't ask about Elias...

You were assuming that WFAN knows something about hockey, which they don't. The only reason Lou was on WFAN is that they have to promote the Devils as one of their properties, the two clown hosts must have hated the fact they had to talk about hockey.

The 'Canes are showing you can with with a solid top 6.

Which is what I have been preaching forever here. Quality top six is the most important factor in any SC run.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#27 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:53 AM

What I mean is that the WCF means nothing if you don't win the championship. All I was saying is that supporters of Niedermayer's move can talk to me when he is holding up another cup. Until that happens, all the Ducks have is "potential," and we see how far that's gotten Ottawa.

And Niedermayer absolutely was worth what Lou offered him. It was the sum total of McGillis and Malakov. I don't necessarily care that he can't QB the PP when he is the most dominating defenseman in the game.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#28 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:12 AM

And Niedermayer absolutely was worth what Lou offered him. It was the sum total of McGillis and Malakov. I don't necessarily care that he can't QB the PP when he is the most dominating defenseman in the game.

I agree 1000%... Neids is a playmaker.. a difference maker.. the player the other team has to find on the ice at all times... and the DEVILS missed him a TON this year....
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#29 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:28 AM

How much of McGillis and Malakhov's contracts were counting against the cap when Elias' salary came back on the cap? Or would the Devils have waived Nieds then?
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#30 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:52 AM

I wont start to panic until I see that our defensemen are still playing at center ice while we are on offense. If the system stays the same, it doesn't matter who we have on the roster.

#31 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,890 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:05 AM

How much of McGillis and Malakhov's contracts were counting against the cap when Elias' salary came back on the cap? Or would the Devils have waived Nieds then?

The Devils would've never signed Mogilny and would've traded/waived Viktor Kozlov - problem solved.

There's no question Niedermayer's contract would have been prohibitively large - anyway, it's not worth discussing since it didn't happen, and I don't think we would've been particularly better or worse with Niedermayer, since you can't just stick him on the roster without taking off 7.6 million in salary.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#32 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:11 AM

How many cars can one buy with a trophy.

now i would have gone for the laugh here and writ "How many hummers can you buy with a trophy"

:unsure: wait a sec... I bet a photo with Lord Stanley can "buy" plenty actually....

and for the clean of thought I know Stevens has gotten at least two cars free and clear actually - one as payment for a signing and then whathisface's present...

I'm here for the party

#33 Devilsdude530

Devilsdude530

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:39 AM

I guess when he said soon, he wasn't kidding as far as a coach goes.
Steve is now at Kukla's Korner, so check him out.

Keeper of Mr. Overtime, Patrick Elias.
Keeper of Johnny Oduya
Keeper of Kevin Weekes
Keeper of the NJ Rock 'n' Rollers
Keeper of The NHL On VERSUS and THE NHL On NBC

"Not every player is a Devil" - Lou Lamoriello

#34 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:14 PM

Niedermayer played poorly versus the Oilers when his team needed him most. He led that team with Selanne to the postseason though.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#35 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:01 PM

Niedermayer will learn progressively and could lead his team to victory yet... but it honestly all pends on his team trusting him. Most teams aren't that solid. They arent built for trust and/or GMs just cant toe the line and trust the team as a whole to succeed -- they bring in the ringer who at this level is kind of stupid everyone is a pro, a ringer you know? These ringers tend to sabotage trust more than foster it. Salanne has to stand behind Niedermayer for at least 4 seasons and WAIT for that Cup most guys arent willing to do that they have to stick their fat patties in a screw it all up. Nieds is capable he just needs to maintain focus and trust himself and then his teammates. Itll be a LOT more work in Anaheim than it was with the Devils but I think hell be able to do it unless he runs out of time.

The Devils have a cycle of trust. Lou had a LOT of trust to earn back after last years trouble. This is why he can't shilly shally and earn trust by stroking one guys ego. I think he was moved to do that so that individuals felt that they WERE appreciated for their individual value despite the team focus. I think they've all seen that the priority has to be on the team the majority of the time - you normally dont have the luxury to stroke one guy --- Holik they had the room for it. Nieds they didn't but felt it was a decent gamble -- turns out Lou trust was misplaced.

I trust Elias. Whatever Lou offers is THE RIGHT OFFER for what is best for Elias as a Devil. If its not best for Elias as a person, yeah hes got to go where hes got to go. I have no problem with that. But he cant be hurt like so many other have been in the past being hurt damaged Lous credibility with them obviously and Lou felt he had to go out on a limb for all to see that one guy can be worth it even if hes not willing to play ball like Stevens and Brodeur. He even brought Mogilny back -- just stroking guys just cant be part of the equation at this juncture and Im sure Elias knows it and I personally feel like hell be back with reasonable numbers but Ill know for sure after 2pm :evil:

I also trust GomezI trust him more than I do Elias and Ill be crestfallen if that trust is misplaced :saddevil:

I'm here for the party

#36 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,681 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:19 PM

Gomez's dad is his agent. Dad has said several times that he cannot wait until Gomez is an UFA. He really wants to see how much money he can negotiate for him. The only mention the Devs was that he will have Gomer sign a 1 yr contract only. Anyone recall this??? It has to be a post somewhere. Maybe I heard during a game or intermission however I do remember hearing this. Maybe it was during the lock out. I digress.
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#37 Z-Man

Z-Man

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:23 PM

Speaking of which, here is Julien's interview on Mike & the Mad Dog today....

http://wfan.com/home..._164175440.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users