GDT: Devils @ Wild. 8:00 pm EST

Devil Fan

I think they're a tweener team as the playoffs go (7-10, let's say)... but the problem they could get themselves into is, being so mediocre it forces them to be a 4th place in the division playoff team, which requires a bad division, and also dooms you to a pretty crummy seed.

With the Pens, PHI, NYR, TOR, FLA, BOS all playing exceptionally well the odds on making the playoffs will become insurmountable quicker than you think.

Again! "Things are just going to keep getting worse and worse for us forever and ever!" So it's over? Also, 8 teams make the playoffs. I'm guessing there are two other teams playing exceptionally well that you left out, no?

Again! "Things are just going to keep getting worse and worse for us forever and ever!" So it's over? Also, 8 teams make the playoffs. I'm guessing there are two other teams playing exceptionally well that you left out, no?

Yeah. WSH, BUF, TAMPA. If we manage to finish 9th this season it will be a miracle.

fvcking Kovy man. His mistakes are starting to happen every game and its starting to cost us every time. I dont know what the hell is going on over there.

For once I dont see it being a coaching problem....I see it being a team problem. Its completely disappointing. I thought last year how much worse could it get? Its only up hill from here. Negative.

We need a complete overhaul. I dont even know where to begin.

What is wrong with you?

It's obvious that Marty is washed up. I think he needs to take a powder for a bit. Plus, what is the deal with PDB starting him after he got his a$$ handed to him in COL? This isn't the same Marty who would lose one game and come back big time the next day.

I think the decision was made because we have another game the next day...

Actually I think it was to play Moose in Winnipeg. Moose should have been going tonight, Marty had played a couple in a row and with this team you need a mental health break. Really at the beginning of the second Moose could have been rung up for multiple goals at a low shot total too.

Getting caught looking the wrong way and getting saved by Tallinder, accidentally, wasn't exactly top shelf stuff, then he compounded that with one of his patented puck play adventures, which led to a miss. Then he was pretty luckily hit in the arm with a one time off a defensive botch.

i think its time for moose to start and marty sit in the back seat. whenever we get the first goal he seems to just relax and we almost always give a goal right back, moose tries so hard and it shows lets hope Pete makes the right call.

Granted our offence needs work and put up more numbers as well, i think most would agree with me that moose would be the best choice between the pipes for now.

Edited by SeanMac16

I think people are forgetting that DeBoer's terrible decision is what sealed the loss. How do you go with three forwards in a 4 on 4 situation? Especially if Kovy is the forward playing defense. That was one of the worst hockey decisions I've seen in a long time. Not only were the Devils going to have a short powerplay after the 4 on 4, they would have pulled the goalie and been man up after the PP. The Devils would have been up a man for 2 minutes. But instead, DeBoer overreacts and goes with 3 fvcking forwards on a 4 on 4. As much as we remember Kovy's mistakes from this game, we should remember that DeBoer played a major role in sealing the loss.

I think people are forgetting that DeBoer's terrible decision is what sealed the loss. How do you go with three forwards in a 4 on 4 situation? Especially if Kovy is the forward playing defense. That was one of the worst hockey decisions I've seen in a long time. Not only were the Devils going to have a short powerplay after the 4 on 4, they would have pulled the goalie and been man up after the PP. The Devils would have been up a man for 2 minutes. But instead, DeBoer overreacts and goes with 3 fvcking forwards on a 4 on 4. As much as we remember Kovy's mistakes from this game, we should remember that DeBoer played a major role in sealing the loss.

i would know these things if i didnt have dish network >.<

That being said I think DeBoer, while having a better record than Mac, has no clue what his player's strengths are and thusly has made some terrible decisions. He should probably be let go.

Yeah. WSH, BUF, TAMPA. If we manage to finish 9th this season it will be a miracle.

WSH?! They're playing just as bad if not worse then us. Do you truly think all the tops teams will just continue winning every single game and we'll continue losing every game?

Ouch...9 GA on the last 29 shots on Marty. He now has an .879 save% on the season. Hedberg deserves to be the #1 for now. Doesn't mean I've given up on Marty...he'll likely get another chance down the line, but for the immediate future I'm giving Hedberg the chance to take the job and run with it for a while.

Kovy...what else is new? By all accounts, a good guy who cares deeply and really wants to win. Blessed with physical gifts, but almost no hockey sense. Maybe there's a Lemaire-type out there that we don't know about who can get through to him. Always good to have dreams.

Ready to back off your "good team" and "positive goal differential" yet Tri? Here's to hoping the return of Zajac could help on that front. I was hoping for around .500 until he came back, and as of right now that's where they are...hang on boys, and try to find a way to stay there.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

WSH?! They're playing just as bad if not worse then us. Do you truly think all the tops teams will just continue winning every single game and we'll continue losing every game?

It took 93 to make the playoffs last year, and the East is only getting stronger with teams like the Rangers, Leafs and Panthers improving. If you think this Devil team is capable of 95 points right now well you haven't watched much of this season, particularly since the Florida meltdown. That really seems to have derailed the season.

And there's no way Washington doesn't at least talent its way to the playoffs. Even with Ovechkin doing his best Kovy imitation, they still have talent up and down the roster and a decent (if slightly overrated) goalie in Vokoun.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Ready to back off your "good team" and "positive goal differential" yet Tri? Here's to hoping the return of Zajac could help on that front. I was hoping for around .500 until he came back, and as of right now that's where they are...hang on boys, and try to find a way to stay there.

The funny thing is everyone has Zajac as being some sort of savior a la Elias in 2006, but he's just not that kind of player - not unless he's also bringing the Zach of two years ago back with him. We just overrate him a bit because he's by far the most proven center on our roster (exempting Elias). The offense sucked with him last year, and the defense sucked with him in the first half.

And yeah I'd let Moose run with the #1 job too, Marty looks like he's had enough of Kovy and friends for a while. Let Moose have at it and see how long it takes before we drive him batty too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The funny thing is everyone has Zajac as being some sort of savior a la Elias in 2006, but he's just not that kind of player - not unless he's also bringing the Zach of two years ago back with him. We just overrate him a bit because he's by far the most proven center on our roster (exempting Elias). The offense sucked with him last year, and the defense sucked with him in the first half.

And yeah I'd let Moose run with the #1 job too, Marty looks like he's had enough of Kovy and friends for a while. Let Moose have at it and see how long it takes before we drive him batty too.

It's so not much that I'm expecting Zajac to be a savior...it's more hoping that his coming back will give everyone a little bit of a shot in the arm, give them all just a little extra jump. I definitely don't think the Devils are going to become some kind of offensive dynamo just because he'll be in the lineup. I have no idea how productive he'll actually be.

its not zajac "being a great player" that will hopefully get this team back on track. its zajac being a very good player but more importantly, it allows the devils to put the forward lines closer to optimal play. neither kovalchuk nor parise was going to play with ryan carter. but with zajac's return, ryan carter becomes a 4th liner (as he should be).

kovalchuk will be able to move back to LW, likely with zajac. hopefully, we get lines resembling:

parise-henrique-clarkson

kovalcuk-zajac-tedenby

zubrus-elias-sykora

janssen-carter-boulton

zajac is an integral part of this team and his absence has been felt for sure.

It took 93 to make the playoffs last year, and the East is only getting stronger with teams like the Rangers, Leafs and Panthers improving. If you think this Devil team is capable of 95 points right now well you haven't watched much of this season, particularly since the Florida meltdown. That really seems to have derailed the season.

I have watched nearly every game and I was at that game in Florida. (unfortunately) Every team has ups and downs, not just us. We are on a 3 game losing streak, it's not the end of the world. It happens to other teams too. Prior to this we had a stretch where we won 8 of 11. It's a long season and to sit here and say we won't make the playoffs at the beginning of December is just very pessimistic. There's no telling what can happen, other teams can tank, get banged up, etc. We can go on a streak. What about when Zajac comes back? Will he be a savior? I don't know, no one on this board knows. He will definitely be a welcome sight, that is for sure.

We didn't get any points last night but there were some positives I thought. The powerplay looked better. We finally saw what has been sought after this whole time: some chemistry between zach and kovalchuk. What happens if kovalchuk doesnt hit the post with 5 minutes left? Does that game go into OT and we win? I don't know.

I'm usually a pretty cynical guy but if they can workout their issues, I think this team can make the playoffs, sure.

Even NHL On The Fly mentions the mistakes of Kovalchuk. Those who do not see his issues are truly blind. I agree with those who supported Rolston being overpaid for what he is doing, but if Rolston is overpaid than what is Kovalchuk? He might score more than Rolston, but when he is the last one back, you have to always be worried, when is he going to turn over the puck? It isn't about if, just when. DeBoer playing him there is a mistake as well, but Kovalchuk should know what is a smart play and what is not. To continue to make the same glaring errors over and over is sign of one of two things:

A) You have no clue what you are doing.

B) You don't care and are going to keep doing what you have always doing. Because if you cared you'd do something different.

There is not other possible explanation and with his talent, I don't see Kovalchuk being "A". If he has you fooled it is okay, just make note of it and jump ship on him. Maybe we can ask to trade him for what he really needs. At this point, anything looks better than a guy who MIGHT score 40 goals, but will probably be the reason for just as many turnovers leading to a scoring change if not a goal. His plus/minus doesn't lie folks.

I have watched nearly every game and I was at that game in Florida. (unfortunately) Every team has ups and downs, not just us. We are on a 3 game losing streak, it's not the end of the world. It happens to other teams too. Prior to this we had a stretch where we won 8 of 11. It's a long season and to sit here and say we won't make the playoffs at the beginning of December is just very pessimistic. There's no telling what can happen, other teams can tank, get banged up, etc. We can go on a streak. What about when Zajac comes back? Will he be a savior? I don't know, no one on this board knows. He will definitely be a welcome sight, that is for sure.

We didn't get any points last night but there were some positives I thought. The powerplay looked better. We finally saw what has been sought after this whole time: some chemistry between zach and kovalchuk. What happens if kovalchuk doesnt hit the post with 5 minutes left? Does that game go into OT and we win? I don't know.

I'm usually a pretty cynical guy but if they can workout their issues, I think this team can make the playoffs, sure.

Fantastic post!

I went to bed last night completely pissed off.. Woke up and decided to watch it again and I must say that yes we lost and yes we gave up 3 quick goals, but I saw a lot of positives that had been negatives in the previous few games.. This team looks like it's going through a low point right now but every team has them..

I'm actually very excited for tonight's game.. I like the short turnaround