165 replies to this topic

#21 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:04 PM

Congrats to Verlander...helluva pitcher.

He really is. Any pitcher who can throw as hard as he generally does while staying healthy and extremely durable (and really, really good to boot) deserves tons of credit this day and age where pitchers get hurt so damn much.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#22 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:08 PM

I heard the Jays fans were chanting 'perfect game' to try to throw off Verlander lol
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#23 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:17 PM

Man, whats the deal with all these no hitters in baseball lately?

#24 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

Its only 145 PA into the season, but Jose Bautista looks legit after his huge 2010: .358/.517/.798, 13 homers (leads MLB), .440 ISO (!!!) .. and hes got awesome plate discipline to back it up: 24.1 BB%, 17.4 K%.

He'll regress, but still... wow.

Edited by nmigliore, 15 May 2011 - 08:50 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#25 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:41 PM

Those are imppressive numbers for Bautista. He is a beast.

Congrats to Verlander...helluva pitcher.

Then threw a 2 hitter on the Royals Friday, and had the no hitter going til 2 down in the 6th!

Let's see some more DOMINATION LIKE THAT!! :lock: !!

Tigers with the shutout last night baby!! Juat keep piling up the W's!!!

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#26 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

LOL add 3 more homers to Bautista's total on the year...
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#27 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

LOL add 3 more homers to Bautista's total on the year...

Never personally seen a player locked in like this. He is at Bonds level from 2001-2004 if not better. He has already missed 8 games this year so he has 16 home runs in 32 games.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#28 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

Where the fvck did Bautista even come from? How does a hitter this explosive just "turn it on" like that?

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#29 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:40 PM

I know, its crazy. If I remember correctly, he overhauled his swing mechanics in mid or late 2009, and then pretty much *poof* - he started hitting homers; in fact he hit 10 homers in the month of September of that year.... he hit 3 total homeruns the entire season before that month. And then he continued that insane power surge into 2010, and its continued into 2011. Just ridiculous.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#30 njdevs89

njdevs89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

Being a jays fan is awesome right now. Bautista is a monster, and is definitly going to win MVP I'd imagine.

#31 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:01 PM

Being a jays fan is awesome right now. Bautista is a monster, and is definitly going to win MVP I'd imagine.

the sad part is everyone is assuming he is taking steroids. the increase in power he has had is remarkable

#32 njdevs89

njdevs89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

the sad part is everyone is assuming he is taking steroids. the increase in power he has had is remarkable

I agree, it is sad. I don't blame them or anything, but the guy isn't that big, he just has a remarkable swing.

#33 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:12 PM

Lot of good candidates early on. I'd say Adrian Gonzalez is right up there if not the front runner. Asdrubal Cabrera is not far behind.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#34 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

Matt Joyce would probably be the closest, ignoring RBI totals, obviously. Adrian Gonzalez is having a terrific year, and he was my pick to win AL MVP at the beginning of the year, but he isn't even in Bautista's league right now (again, unless you go by RBI totals). Nobody is, frankly, not even Joyce. Hes been that insane. The only reason his RBI totals aren't higher is because there are exactly 2 other players in that lineup with an OBP higher than .325.

I still can't get over his numbers though. He really is like early-2000 Bonds. The Jays look like geniuses giving him that extension.

Edited by nmigliore, 25 May 2011 - 08:33 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#35 njdevs89

njdevs89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

Matt Joyce would probably be the closest, ignoring RBI totals, obviously. Adrian Gonzalez is having a terrific year, and he was my pick to win AL MVP at the beginning of the year, but he isn't even in Bautista's league right now (again, unless you go by RBI totals). Nobody is, frankly, not even Joyce. Hes been that insane. The only reason his RBI totals aren't higher is because there are exactly 2 other players in that lineup with an OBP higher than .325.

I still can't get over his numbers though. He really is like early-2000 Bonds. The Jays look like geniuses giving him that extension.

I agree, I watch my Jays every night and The guys who are batting infront of him : Escobar, Patterson and even Davis are not exactly the most consistant hitters. If we could get Aaron Hill back to what he was doing a couple years ago batting second and have Escober get on base a little more often, Bautista would be killing the RBI race. I think 14-15 of his home runs have been solo shots, and got it's frustrating.

I think the future is lookin great for the Jays, with our young pitching staff who is only going to get better, plus some promising prospects and already great players, we should be contenders in 2 years.

#36 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:07 PM

Here's something very intersting:

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6651634

A simple form of realignment being seriously considered has been raised in the labor talks between Major League Baseball and the players' association, according to four sources: two leagues of 15 teams, rather than the current structure of 16 teams in the National League and 14 in the American League.

According to a highly ranked executive, one consideration that has been raised in ownership committee meetings is eliminating the divisions altogether, so that 15 AL and 15 NL teams would vie for five playoff spots within each league. Currently, Major League Baseball has six divisions.

I can't imagine that they would completely do away with divisions. Travel would be horrendous with how many games baseball teams play if the schedule is balanced. Also, I can't imagine MLB letting its rivalries go (i.e. why would they cut the amount of Yankees-Red Sox or Giants-Dodgers games?).
Posted ImagePosted Image

#37 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:41 PM

I've never bothered to jump in the realignment debate. I don't know, I like the way it is now. I also think the current playoff system is fine, though I won't be against an additional wildcard from each league (though if its a 1-game series, that's kinda stupid).
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#38 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

i like how the coach of washington resigned after their owners didnt want to talk about a contract extension for him

that took guts

#39 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

i like how the coach of washington resigned after their owners didnt want to talk about a contract extension for him

that took guts

It wasn't gutsy, just incredibly stupid and self-serving. He walked out on his team, plain and simple. If a player tried to pull this (like K-Rod going home if the Mets did things to make sure his option didn't kick in) there'd be a grievance filed. And it's not like he's getting a managerial job elsewhere regardless, his only chance of being a manager next year was to ride it out with the Nats and hope they picked up the option.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#40 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:40 AM

It wasn't gutsy, just incredibly stupid and self-serving. He walked out on his team, plain and simple. If a player tried to pull this (like K-Rod going home if the Mets did things to make sure his option didn't kick in) there'd be a grievance filed. And it's not like he's getting a managerial job elsewhere regardless, his only chance of being a manager next year was to ride it out with the Nats and hope they picked up the option.

Agreed. Riggleman is an idiot. You'd have to be pretty stupid to hire this fool after pulling such a stunt.

Edited by nmigliore, 24 June 2011 - 11:40 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users