Trade Rumors and minor team trades.

SS-SS

The premise of " all things ring equal" is not ever going to happen w/ Parise. The rangers will always have the money card and that trumps all more often than not

How do they have the money card in a cap system? They do over us clearly, but other teams can offer as much up front money as they can, barring something goofy in the deal structure that we'd lose five first rounders if we tried to do.

I think he would care. Alot of teams will offer him a lot of dough, not just the rags. He doesn't seem like a highest-bidder guy, ESP at the cost of going to your fans' most hated rival. The only way I'd see him going to the rags was if they were far and away the highest bidder and made him one of the richest players in the world. Otherwise, all things even, zp recognizes what signing w the rags would mean. Btw, it's disturbing hearing a devils fan lavish praise on that organization so easily.

RANGERS SUCK! Happy now?

I'm hardly lavishing praise on the Rangers or boasting about them. I'm pointing out that there are legitimate reasons why some players want to go there. Even when they sucked, there will still players who wanted to play for them.

Yes, Zach's close in proximity to New York, but at the same time, short as the distance may be, there are players who love and dream of playing for a team with "New York" in front of the nickname, who consider THAT truly being in New York, as opposed to living near it. "New Jersey" doesn't carry that same prestige. I'll be the first to admit I don't get it...I think New York is vastly overrated in many ways. One of the last places I'd ever want to live in would be New York City, or one of its many overpriced suburbs. But the concept and idea of what New York is has a mystique and sex appeal to people of all professions. And the converse is also true...we've seen New York chew up and spit out many just as easily, especially on the big stage...no shortage of athletes who wilted and "couldn't hack New York".

No one hates the Rangers more than me, but I can be objective and admit I could see reasons why Parise might consider signing with them. Sorry, I'm not going to pretend that I know what's going on in Parise's head, but daneyko_booster said it perfectly...I seriously doubt that if he wanted to go play for the Rangers, and really felt he could win with them more than the Devils, that he'd say "but wait...Devils fans aren't going to like this, so I'd better not."

It would suck to see it happen, but Holik did it and so did Gomez, among others...I'll move on...and boo Parise silly every time he steps on the ice wearing Red, White, and Blue.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

RANGERS SUCK! Happy now?

I'm hardly lavishing praise on the Rangers or boasting about them. I'm pointing out that there are legitimate reasons why some players want to go there. Even when they sucked, there will still players who wanted to play for them.

Yes, Zach's close in proximity to New York, but at the same time, short as the distance may be, there are players who love and dream of playing for a team with "New York" in front of the nickname, who consider THAT truly being in New York, as opposed to living near it. "New Jersey" doesn't carry that same prestige. I'll be the first to admit I don't get it...I think New York is vastly overrated in many ways. One of the last places I'd ever want to live in would be New York City, or one of its many overpriced suburbs. But the concept and idea of what New York is has a mystique and sex appeal to people of all professions. And the converse is also true...we've seen New York chew up and spit out many just as easily, especially on the big stage...no shortage of athletes who wilted and "couldn't hack New York".

No one hates the Rangers more than me, but I can be objective and admit I could see reasons why Parise might consider signing with them. Sorry, I'm not going to pretend that I know what's going on in Parise's head, but daneyko_booster said it perfectly...I seriously doubt that if he wanted to go play for the Rangers, and really felt he could win with them more than the Devils, that he'd say "but wait...Devils fans aren't going to like this, so I'd better not."

It would suck to see it happen, but Holik did it and so did Gomez, among others...I'll move on...and boo Parise silly every time he steps on the ice wearing Red, White, and Blue.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Sometimes we have to take the fan blinders off once in a while when it comes to these types of situations and look at it objectively.

RANGERS SUCK! Happy now?

Much Happier! :cheers:

I agree with that the New York appeal is vastly overrated, especially in this day and age of mass and social media. When the Rags sucked, players went there for money. Post-cap, they go there for hockey and money reasons. Maybe if this was baseball or basketball the 'NYC factor' would apply, but hockey being the small, niche sport in this market means nyc doesnt add anything extraordinary for an nhl player. If its the living aspect that you think is the lure, ZP lives right next door...Maybe when his decision comes down to the Rags and 8 other teams with similar offers, he may just slightly consider what signing with the Rags would do to Uncle Lou and the fanbase. Of course, if the Rags' offer is way ahead in his mind then he signs no matter what.

Edited by devlman

Much Happier! :cheers:

I agree with that the New York appeal is vastly overrated, especially in this day and age of mass and social media. When the Rags sucked, players went there for money. Post-cap, they go there for hockey and money reasons. Maybe if this was baseball or basketball the 'NYC factor' would apply, but hockey being the small, niche sport in this market means nyc doesnt add anything extraordinary for an nhl player. If its the living aspect that you think is the lure, ZP lives right next door...Maybe when his decision comes down to the Rags and 8 other teams with similar offers, he may just slightly consider what signing with the Rags would do to Uncle Lou and the fanbase. Of course, if the Rags' offer is way ahead in his mind then he signs no matter what.

Always hated that people not from this area assume that coming from NJ means you automatically root for NY teams (the South Jersey/Philly connection is never really made by them). New York has nothing to do with me and never will. I was born in Newark and raised in Parsippany and Hillsborough. I have no connection to New York.

And as fas as Zach goes, who knows...he might not be a big New York guy either...if anything, he's seen close-up how tough it can be playing in New York. But some players do go gaga for what they perceive to be the "New York Experience".

Fans have such an over-inflated view of their effect on athletes. I would venture to say that no athlete in the history of free agency signed with a team based on their fanbase or their potential reaction. It's just stupid to think that. There are probably 15-20 other reasons that are considered by each athlete even before the "fans" are considered, if at all.

Fans have such an over-inflated view of their effect on athletes. I would venture to say that no athlete in the history of free agency signed with a team based on their fanbase or their potential reaction. It's just stupid to think that. There are probably 15-20 other reasons that are considered by each athlete even before the "fans" are considered, if at all.

A gazillion soccer players would beg to differ. You think Glasgow ranger players can just go sign with arch rival celtic? David Beckham, despite lucrative offers from other EPL teams, refuesed to sign for anyone but ManU. There are countless examples. The world of sports extends beyond the US and Canada.

Always hated that people not from this area assume that coming from NJ means you automatically root for NY teams (the South Jersey/Philly connection is never really made by them). New York has nothing to do with me and never will. I was born in Newark and raised in Parsippany and Hillsborough. I have no connection to New York.

And as fas as Zach goes, who knows...he might not be a big New York guy either...if anything, he's seen close-up how tough it can be playing in New York. But some players do go gaga for what they perceive to be the "New York Experience".

Born in Wayne, raised in Wanaque and Jefferson, and live in Budd Lake. Couldn't possibly agree with that sentiment more CR. Jersey through and through.

:cheers:

How do they have the money card in a cap system? They do over us clearly, but other teams can offer as much up front money as they can, barring something goofy in the deal structure that we'd lose five first rounders if we tried to do.

max up front money is not something that many teams can do - in fact, very very few can. and as for the ones that will be in on parise, the rangers are really the only one.

A gazillion soccer players would beg to differ. You think Glasgow ranger players can just go sign with arch rival celtic? David Beckham, despite lucrative offers from other EPL teams, refuesed to sign for anyone but ManU. There are countless examples. The world of sports extends beyond the US and Canada.

The Rangers/Celtic example is a bit disingenuous. Any player that crosses that divide risks their life. The sectarian nature of the rivalry due to centuries of conflict between Catholics and Protestants in Scotland and Ireland is way more volatile than anything between New Jersey and New York. Both Neil Lennon and Aaron McGregor have had their lives threatened, the former was sent a mail-bomb for being manager of Celtic, the latter received on-line death threats for being a Catholic player on the Rangers.

Anyone ever conspire to blow up Holik or Gomez?

As for Becks, should it surprise anyone that the biggest fame-whore footballer in history would only play for the most popular club in the world?

Well, hmmm, it depends. Luis Figo went from Barcelona to Real Madrid. Zlatan Ibrahimovic went from Juventus to Inter to Barcelona to AC Milan. Carlos Tevez went from Man-U to Man-City.

Granted, a lot of soccer players are conditioned by "fan perception, " but I think that's a thing of the past in soccer too. If anything, a player like Steven Gerrard doesn't go from Liverpool to Chelsea because local mobs tell him that if he does, it won't be safe for him...so, for safety reasons, they decide to stay.

Other than that, loyalty is to the almighty dollar...

Zlatan Ibrahimovic is an ugly disgusting piece of crap.

Exactly. And without turning this into a soccer thread, I'll say there are exceptions but generally those players were not really liked by the fans they left behind; see Tevez, Ibra...

Safety is a reason players dont sign with rivals but countless uber-rich players who already play for the clubs they love dont go to rivals. I mentioned Becks. Gerrard isnt staying with Liverpool just for safety reasons. Thats the club he loves, he gets paid a ton. The only reason he would consider moving is to go to a CL-contending club. But, soccer players do worry about fan perception and forge bonds with clubs.