I Want Crosby On Nj

Jas0nMacIsaac

I seen him play about 3 times now and I really want NJ to try and get him, we got ripped off by Pittsburgh and lost Mario because they were throwing games out the window, we deserve the next phenom. The kid now has 14 points in 6 games as a 16 year old in the QMJHL. I would offer up Parise and Elias for him when the time comes for the first overall pick. What he is doing is on pace to smash Mario's, Lindros's, Leavalier's, and comming close to Gretzky's mark. He is averaging 2.3 points per game on the 2nd line.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://canadaeast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...BRIEF/309270005

Wayne Gretzky was The Great One.

Mario Lemieux was Super Mario.

Eric Lindros was The Big E.

Now here comes Sidney Crosby, a 16-year-old phenom who's destined for future National Hockey League stardon. Heck, even Gretzky has predicted that the youngster will some day beat some of his NHL scoring records.

"It was pretty special that he said that, but at the same time Wayne Gretzky is Wayne Gretzky," said Crosby. "For him to say that was definitely a compliment. I couldn't believe it.

"At the same time, I've just got to worry about playing hockey and do what I've been doing. I just want to play an all-around game and worry about playing the way I know how. I don't think anyone is even going to come close to Gretzky."

Crosby is a rookie centre with the Rimouski Oceanic and he's drawing attention everywhere he goes in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. He makes his New Brunswick debut in the league when Rimouski meets the Moncton Wildcats tonight at 7 p.m. at the Moncton Coliseum.

Crosby will also be on display when Rimouski meets the Acadie-Bathurst Titan tomorrow at 7 p.m. at the K.C. Irving Regional Centre.

A sellout crowd in the 7,000 range is expected for tonight's game in Moncton. There were 5,100 tickets sold as of 5 p.m. yesterday.

"I'm certainly very, very impressed with Sidney Crosby," said Moncton head coach Christian La Rue. "He's a 16-year-old kid who's an NHL player all the way. I'll be extremely surprised if he's not in the NHL at age 18.

"Anyone that wants to see him play in Moncton better do it this season or next season. Right now, you can spend $10 to see him play. It won't be long before you'll have to go to Montreal or Toronto and have to pay almost $100 to see him play in the NHL.

"Every team (in the QMJHL) should market his name when he comes to town because he's a big attraction. He's going to draw a lot of fans to the rink everywhere he plays."

Crosby had two goals and three assists to help Rimouski to a 7-6 overtime win against Moncton in their only meeting. He scored the game winner and was named first star - quite a script for him in the Oceanic's home opener.

"We all heard about his skills, but he's also far from being shy on the ice," said La Rue. "He's playing the body. He's throwing checks and accepting checks. He's extremely involved in the play with and without the puck. That's one of the major points I noticed when we played him."

Crosby first drew attention on the local level as a dominant youngster coming up through the Nova Scotia minor hockey system. At every step along the way, he was consistently better than all other players his age.

He gained national recognition as an underage player for Dartmouth in the 2002 Air Canada Cup - the Canadian championship in Bathurst. The 14-year-old was the tournament's top scorer and Most Valuable Player as he carried his club to a silver medal.

Last season, the 15-year-old went international and put up unimaginable numbers with Shattuck-St. Mary's in Minnesota in the U.S. prep school ranks. He established records by notching 72 goals and 162 points in 57 games and led his club to the national title.

Crosby, 5-foot-10 and 175 pounds, was the first overall pick in the 2003 QMJHL draft. He's already being touted as the possible first overall pick in the 2005 NHL draft.

The whiz kid was runner-up in the QMJHL scoring race entering last night's action with 11 points, including six goals, in five games.

He notched a hat trick in the third period in his QMJHL debut and led Rimouski to a 4-3 comeback win over the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies. His performance against Moncton in Rimouski's home opener further showed he has a flair for the dramatic.

"I like to think of myself as an all-around player," said Crosby. "Someone who can play on the power play, penalty kill, score goals and set up guys, block shots and play well defensively. Every little detail counts. I try to be someone who leads by example.

"If you're good defensively, it turns into good offence because usually you'll have the puck more."

There was some question whether Crosby would suit up in the QMJHL or accept a scholarship offer to play U.S. college hockey. He's in Grade 11 so he would have had a two-year wait before he could play U.S. college hockey.

"I had to move up to a higher level this season to keep improving," he said. "That?s the biggest reason (I decided to come to the QMJHL)."

There were also other reasons that Crosby opted for the QMJHL route.

Rimouski is a great hockey town that averages a near capacity of 5,000 fans per game. The Oceanic have helped develop many future professionals and they?ve lured numerous high-profile English players from the Maritimes over the years.

"When I went to visit Rimouski (this summer), people were pretty welcoming," said Crosby. "You could tell that they sleep and breathe hockey there. You talk about the NHL there and nobody really cares. It?s all about the Oceanic.

"It?s a great place to play. Plus, they won the Memorial Cup in 2000 so that tells you they know how to win. You want to go to a place that cares about winning."

Living in a French environment isn?t an issue for Crosby.

"I?ve picked up a little bit of French so far," he said. "I think there?s no reason I can?t be speaking two languages."

Mario Lemieux established the QMJHL record when he totalled 282 points in 70 games with Laval in 1983-84.

Pat Lafontaine set the QMJHL rookie record when he amassed 234 points in 70 games with Verdun in 1982-83.

Crosby points out he hasn?t set any personal goals in terms of stats for this season. If he continues at his current pace, he would finish with 154 points in 70 contests.

Crosby admits he feels some extra pressure because of the spotlight placed on him.

"A little bit, but it?s really not something that hasn?t been there before so I?ll get used to it," he said. "It pushes you that much harder to keep getting better every day."

Crosby is accustomed to facing special attention from a checking line. He?s used to opponents trying to employ all kinds of tactics to throw him off his game.

"Their whole objective is to get in your head so that you?re not focused on the game," he said. "The worst thing you can do is think about them and look who?s playing against you.

"If they?re checking you, you don?t change anything. You keep playing, keep going to the places you would be going and then look for the openings. There?s some games where you?re getting hooked and slashed and they may not get the penalties. That?s frustrating, but you?ve still got to stay focused and wait for your chances."

Rimouski head coach Donald Dufresne is convinced Crosby will help market the QMJHL and sell tickets everywhere he plays.

"He?s a young guy with a lot of maturity," he said. "He?s very intense on and off the ice. He has a lot of desire. Every time he steps on the ice, you can tell he?s having fun.

"He has great vision of the play. He?s solid on his skates. He?s a goal scorer and playmaker and he?s also good defensively. There have been other exceptional 16-year-olds in the league over the years, but they didn?t have the reputation of Sidney Crosby. The media has been talking about him since the age of 13."

And then there is this guy...

http://www.alexander.ovechkin.name/eng/

I seen this guy play 4 times at the WJC and he is most complete players going into a draft since Modano and I think he was way more strenth and scoring then Modano. He hits like Peca, plays defense like Madden, skates like Bure, scores like Bure, moves the puck like Almo. lol and he is still worse then Crosby.

Forgive me; but you are much to gung-ho on prospects.... Im not sure what is worse; trading all your young talent for aging stars; or trading your team base on hopes of a star player... although if you keep doing that... he'll be a star playing with a bunch of no-ones....

This represents everything I've been talking about, it's like if eventually you trade enough of your players down the line, you'll get this super team of all 21 year olds which will win 10 straight Stanley Cups.

The Devils got 'cheated' out of Lemieux, but they traded Muller for Richer, who got us one Stanley Cup, who was dealt for Odelein, who was dealt for Deron Quint, who turned into Turner Stevenson, who got us another Cup. I'll take those 2 and the continued succession of non-superstars through New Jersey.

For each 'can't miss' guy there's FIVE who don't work out (Alex Diagle anyone ?) or other guys like Lecalavier who are asked to do too much and take 5-6 years to live up to it.... I'd not even THINK of trading Elias at this

point for anything like that...

stick to the prospects on NHL 2004.. it's safer :D

Crosby isn't in NHL 2004 and you all don't know what type of prospect he is, I admit you all live in USA and news like this doesn't get around down here for a bit. Daigle never had heart, Crosby plays with his heart on his sleave and has a good work ethic. He is also outproducing Daigle but alot of points. He is on a better pace then Mario at the age of 16, to me that is scary as hell.

The Devils got 'cheated' out of Lemieux, but they traded Muller for Richer, who got us one Stanley Cup, who was dealt for Odelein, who was dealt for Deron Quint, who turned into Turner Stevenson, who got us another Cup. I'll take those 2 and the continued succession of non-superstars through New Jersey.

Tri,

Weren't you the one chastising me when I said Lou was right for trading Sykora for Friesen because he scored so many goals and the Devs won the Mug?

I believe you told me it wasn't a good trade because we let Tverdovsky go......

Yet TURNER STEVENSON is the reason the Devs won the Mug this year??? :huh:

You gotta be kidding me?

Yes, I was Jimmy, but as I said then, and will still say now, while that deal did get us a Stanley Cup, it is still a diminishing returns deal unless Friesen has a 30 goal season. So in terms of asset retention, and pure value, it's not a 'good' deal for the future. One deal like this is fine, Lou does it a lot, but keep making deals like it and you end up in trouble.

My point with Stevenson was merely rhetorical..

it is still a diminishing returns deal unless Friesen has a 30 goal season. So in terms of asset retention, and pure value, it's not a 'good' deal for the future.

Don't forget about the locker room. If the team doesn't believe in a player, and he is onyour top line, it's just not a good lockerroom. Doesn't matter how injured Sykora really was in the playofs vs the canes, the room felt he should suck it up and play. So Friesen doesn';t have to be a 30 goal scorer. Matter of fact, it's not the regular season stats that count, it's the playoffs. he contributes in the playoffs(which I think we can all agree he did) then the deal paid off.

All speculation about the lockeroom, I'm not there, it's my take though.

Just like people bitching about the Arnott trade how we got older, Langenbrunner was a major cog in the deal. While we lost Niewy, we still have a very important player while loosing McKay who was on the decline and getting hit by injury big, and a nother player who was loosing respect int he room. Would I rather have an Arnott at 100% or Langs at 100%, the answer is Arnie. Would I rather have Langs at 100% every night or Arnie at 50% one night, 75 the next, maybe a two week period on his game. I'll take the consistancy

You can't judge trades by regualr season stats alone. You should be able to judge trades by cups though

I don't think any guarantees can be made about the futures of prospects. Case in point, Adrian Foster -- predicted to be better than Heatley, yet he's injury prone and has yet to see time with the Big Club. Hell, he's yet to play an entire season in the AHL, I don't think.

This kid Crosby seems like the real deal, but I'm not about to potentially trade a proven NHL topline winger like Elias and another "can't miss" prospect for one "won't miss" prospect.

I've heard Crosby is the real deal. He's supposed to be a "Franchise Player." Whether or not that happens is up to him. If he continues to dominate the way he has, it's hard to have doubts. I wish I could get my hands on some tapes of this kid just so I could get a feel for what type of player he is.

As far as your trade proposal Jason, it's still too much at this time. You shouldn't trade your best finisher because he needs somebody to play with. I guess it depends on how things pan out with your other centers (Parise, Foster, Rupp).

As for Heatley, that guy is already a superstar. He's just amazing to watch and very good hockey-sense. I'd say he's well on his way to being great.

That's assuming, Joe, that Sykora wasn't going to be traded. We could have had better asset management had we dealt Sykora elsewhere.. luckily Lou/Conte has done such a good job drafting that this may not be a problem, but with one of Niedermayer or Rafalski almost sure to leave NJ in 2 or 3 years, we needed someone to replace them.. and we still haven't gotten it.

I like Friesen, and I like the Sykora deal. With the way Lou drafts, he can get away with some asset mismanagement.

You are acting as if he was a Heatley, Foster or even Horton type prospect. He is a Lemieux, Gretzky or Orr type prospect.

I have to agree with Jason. Crosby should have a Lebron James like impact on the NHL a few years down the road. While Parise could potentially be elite at his time, Crosby could potentially be one of the greatest of ALL time.

Wasn't this the same sort of stuff they were saying about Jason Spezza a few years ago? I think he'll be a good player, but certainly not the next Gretzky.

I want to know what kind of vision and hockey sense this Crosby has. And to be the next Gretzky you pretty much need to play offense and only offense, sounds like this kid is a complete player.

It's all about balance. Depth charts, schmeth charts. Do they always work? No. Who knows what will happen? It's nice to try and predict, but if we scrap our team for prospects, we won't be any good! The key is a balance between youth potential and veteran reliability, plus all the players somewhere in between. No hockey team could win being too one-sided. Look at the Devils in 2003. We had rookies playing next to older veterans. You need balance. We have balance. That is why we win.

This guy Crosby certainly sounds like the real deal based on how he tore things up in the US High School system last year and the start he's having in the QJMHL right now. Now I have no idea what Lou may think of this kid or the future for our Devs (hell who among really knows what Lou will ever do), but I was a betting man (which I am) and the Devils GM (which I'm not... yet), there is no way to guarantee yourself a shot at this kid...

... however, there are definitely ways to put yourself in a position to grab this kid should he actually enter the draft in 2005, his first year of eligibilty - and not to put a more of a dark cloud on an already dark season, but this whole plan is assuming there is a season that year (which I think there will be)...

... anyway, back to the point... anybody know of a former Devils draft pick named Scott Neidermayer? For those that remember (most if not all of us), Neidermayer was picked third overall by the Devils in 1991 - however, the Devils were not the third worst team in the league that year. The Leafs were. The Devils had made a prior trade with the Leafs (what the trade was exactly I don't remember), where in return for whoever, the Devils received the Leafs first-round pick in 1991.

You probably know where I'm going with this. Now, like I said, you can't guarantee yourself you'll get Crosby, but you can put yourself in a position to get him. The way you do that is ala Neidermayer 1991. You attempt to guage who will finish in the bottom 5 in the 2004-05 season, and make a deal with them for their Number One pick of that draft. Honestly, I have no idea who it may be that'll finish in the bottom five that year, but it'll probably be the usual suspects.