Newark gets short end in Prudential Center revenue share ruling

NewarkDevil5

Didn't see this posted anywhere.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/newark_gets_short_end_in_prude.html

NEWARK — Years of dispute over revenue sharing between Newark and the Prudential Arena were ruled on today with a decision by three arbitrators that leaves neither party with a big check, but undoubtedly favors the Devils in the long run.

The city, with the Newark Housing Authority acting as its developer, was awarded roughly $15 million in back rent, relocation expenses and fines. But The Devils were awarded $15.3 million in unpaid parking revenue, capital revenue and excess taxes. Both amounts are due in 30 days, barring further legal action, according to the decision.

In the future, the city will be obligated to pay $2.7 million a year to the Devils in parking revenue, practically neutralizing the average $3 million in annual rent payments to the city.

YA THE stupid part was most accounts of the story had the devils offering a better deal prior to the arbitrator ruling. This is business, I would hope that there is a renegotiation of this at some point that has a better equitable share for the NHA as to pay money and be a co-owner in a building stinks

• 1 month later...

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I just want to reiterate how monumentally stupid it was for Booker to announce out of spite that they were reducing the city's contribution to security. Yeah, they actually had more cops than usual and this could have happened regardless, but it just doesn't make sense to say a thing like that.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/crime_courts/Pack_of_teens_rob_beat_5_after_concert_at_Prudential_Center.html

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I just want to reiterate how monumentally stupid it was for Booker to announce out of spite that they were reducing the city's contribution to security. Yeah, they actually had more cops than usual and this could have happened regardless, but it just doesn't make sense to say a thing like that.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/crime_courts/Pack_of_teens_rob_beat_5_after_concert_at_Prudential_Center.html

Not saying it's not true, and not saying Booker doesn't look stupid, but from the nj.com article someone who was there posted that it stemmed from the concert. A fight broke out as folks from the arena were high, drunk or both(it IS a RHCP concert), the victims got caught up in it, and teens who might or might not have been at the concert just ran and took their stuff. According to that guy it wasn't just typical city lowlifes that started all of this.

In fact other people are reporting the same thing. Either way the truth will come out.

Edited by Marv4Life

Not saying it's not true, and not saying Booker doesn't look stupid, but from the nj.com article someone who was there posted that it stemmed from the concert. A fight broke out as folks from the arena were high, drunk or both(it IS a RHCP concert), the victims got caught up in it, and teens who might or might not have been at the concert just ran and took their stuff. According to that guy it wasn't just typical city lowlifes that started all of this. Either way the truth will come out.

So you are instead trusting the story from some anonymous nj.com user, whose comments section of their stories make worst of the worst on njdevs.com to be the pinnacle of civilized conversation, over the actual articles?

Whether the teens were or were not involved in the fight, it gives them no right or excuse to take the victim's stuff.

Edited by DevsMan84

People can deny it all they want, but the intersection of Market and Broad is still a pretty rough area. This is only at most a couple of blocks from the arena. To get the arena there cleaned up you will need an entire police squadron there.

Edited by DevsMan84

So you are instead trusting the story from some anonymous nj.com user, whose comments section of their stories make worst of the worst on njdevs.com to be the pinnacle of civilized conversation, over the actual articles?

Whether the teens were or were not involved in the fight, it gives them no right or excuse to take the victim's stuff.

Not saying they're right, but there has to be more to the story. That poster was actually there unlike the other fools on there, and others are starting to say the same thing: a drunk fight stemming from the arena and spilling onto Broad Street, and the victims were part of it or got caught up in it. And this was a RHCP concert, not some Taylor Black or Idol BS. Would it shock you if people were indeed drunk and/or high coming from the show?

That story just seems odd anyway.

Edited by Marv4Life

Not saying they're right, but there has to be more to the story. That poster was actually there unlike the other fools on there, and others are starting saying the same thing: a drunk fight stemming from the arena and spilling onto Broad Street, and the victims were part of it or got caught up in it. And this was a RHCP concert, not some Taylor Black or Idol BS. Would it shock you if people were indeed drunk and/or high coming from the show?

No it would not shock me if they were high or drunk after a RHCP, but again it gives no one the freedom to steal from them.

Also the poster can say what he wants. I can say on there that I was on the ice with the Devils when they won it all in 2003 in Game 7. I guess it is true then because I posted it?

Edited by DevsMan84

People can deny it all they want, but the intersection of Market and Broad is still a pretty rough area. This is only at most a couple of blocks from the arena. To get the arena there cleaned up you will need an entire police squadron there.

Many things arent in the news generally. That said broad street isnt the safest area in newark. People have been shot there, but shooting are a frequent occurence in newark. I dont know of any personally since 5/12/12 in the evening... :/

Many things arent in the news generally. That said broad street isnt the safest area in newark. People have been shot there, but shooting are a frequent occurence in newark. I dont know of any personally since 5/12/12 in the evening... :/

The case with Broad St is that the areas on the west side of it aren't the greatest (ie Branford pl) while the side closer to the arena is faaaaaar better (ie dinos bbq, bcbg etc). NPD has to do a better job clearing the other side of Broad, especially once Teacher's village is built.

The case with Broad St is that the areas on the west side of it aren't the greatest (ie Branford pl) while the side closer to the arena is faaaaaar better (ie dinos bbq, bcbg etc). NPD has to do a better job clearing the other side of Broad, especially once Teacher's village is built.

The new hotel comes in before Teacher's Village. Security will have to be good for that. My guess would be that once that's open, it will increase the foot traffic on Broad b/t Lafayette and Market, and we'll see some of those undesirable characters pushed further south and west.