Iginla officially traded to Pittsburgh

SterioDesign

I have to echo some others with my feelings that Iginla is definitely not the player he once was. In fact, all of the players the Penguins have picked up recently are well over the hill, but adding them to an already strong team will likely bring the best out of whatever these guys have left. Even if they are all rentals, they will give every ounce of what they have now that they are on a Cup favorite team, plus they will all likely be partnered with stronger linemates than they had with their respective former teams. I don't know much about the prospects involved in these trades but from what I've heard, the Penguins still have their 3 best guys. They gave up some picks, which definitely hurts them in the future, but these look like some solid moves by Shero.

Only concern for Pitt is that you never really know how moves like this will affect the team chemistry. They are already on a huge win streak. Adding this many new people in such a short time could mess things up, at least in the short term.

I have to echo some others with my feelings that Iginla is definitely not the player he once was. In fact, all of the players the Penguins have picked up recently are well over the hill, but adding them to an already strong team will likely bring the best out of whatever these guys have left. Even if they are all rentals, they will give every ounce of what they have now that they are on a Cup favorite team, plus they will all likely be partnered with stronger linemates than they had with their respective former teams. I don't know much about the prospects involved in these trades but from what I've heard, the Penguins still have their 3 best guys. They gave up some picks, which definitely hurts them in the future, but these look like some solid moves by Shero.

Only concern for Pitt is that you never really know how moves like this will affect the team chemistry. They are already on a huge win streak. Adding this many new people in such a short time could mess things up, at least in the short term.

Pittsburgh was obviously already the favorite in the East, and one of the few favorites to win it all.  With these moves, they are the clearcut favorite for the conference, and likely the Cup.  They have a great team, but they could be toppled if they run into hot goaltending and Fleury doesn't play well.  I can see Lundqvist or Marty upsetting them in the postseason....

I agree, the Penguins own the Rangers.  Like you said the Devils seem to match up with the Pens, the other team that seems to play them well is the Flyers.  The way our team normally dominates the Flyers, the Flyers do the same to the Penguins.  Even in the games the Flyers lost to the Penguins they pretty much blew in the end.  I think flyers or Devils would have a solid shot at them

I also wouldn't rule out the Senators either.  there seems to be something special about this team to keep fighting back injury after injury.  and I'm not really sure what to expect from Montreal this post season

other than those 4, i have a hard time seeing anyone in the east beating them (I just don't see Bruins, rangers, or the Leafs taking them down).  although like a few others have said on here, when a team loads up this much, it usually back fires, I just have a gut feeling they won't win this year.  It just seems like they are doing everything they can to avoid what happened last year, but once they get in that series and if they start to face a dangerous flyers or devils team that is playing a tight and close series, watch out!

There isn't a shot in hell that the rags beat the pens in a series. Look at how they have matched up against each other the last couple seasons including this one. Pens completely dominate the rags. I think it's a systems thing. The rags just don't match up well against the pens. I actually think I the devs are healthy they would challenge the pens. Our system works really well against them.

I'm rather ok with this so long as it screws the pens in some way down the line.

I cant lie myself, i was rather a little annoyed that pitsburg got iginla.. but in a couple of years they are going to suck anyway so im hoping they get booted out in the first round and all of this got them no where in the end.. i already see people making their forcasts that the pens are going to take the cup yada yada. it looks good on paper but who knows how hes even going to fit in over there... again i hope they get booted 1st round :)

Iginla's not what he was 2 years ago.  I mean, playing with Crosby will likely mask that - he won't have to be the Jarome he was in Calgary - but he's definitely over the hill.  It's the luxury you have when you've got a Crosby to be able to stick this kind of player beside him.  Brenden Morrow is definitely less than what he was 2 years ago.  And Douglas Murray is even worse.  I'm not convinced these moves are all that great, but at least Pittsburgh gave up a 1st, at least one 2nd, maybe a 3rd, and three prospects, for the right to get all these guys.

Still, I can't believe Calgary didn't get one of Pittsburgh's bigger prospects.  I know he's a rental with an NTC and maybe teams have noticed he's no longer Jarome F-ing Iginla but you've got to do better than 2 dudes who project to be 3rd liners and a 1st round pick.

EDIT:  Yeah, Hanowski can go UFA, but he has to wait until August 15th to do so.  That's very dangerous for a player not guaranteed an NHL contract.

Like I said, if I'm a Pens fan, I'm probably excited.  But the more I look at it, the more I wonder what the point was.  Did Pittsburgh really need him?  It's not like they have scoring problems.  It could be one of those "hey, we got a guy who's dying to win a Cup, maybe we get the last of his best" kind of deals, a feel-good story to rally around, but Pittsburgh definitely didn't NEED to do this.   

Like I said, if I'm a Pens fan, I'm probably excited.  But the more I look at it, the more I wonder what the point was.  Did Pittsburgh really need him?  It's not like they have scoring problems.  It could be one of those "hey, we got a guy who's dying to win a Cup, maybe we get the last of his best" kind of deals, a feel-good story to rally around, but Pittsburgh definitely didn't NEED to do this.   

No, and that's why they gave up so little.  I do think they got him to add to their team - they see him fulfilling the Bill Guerin role of a few years ago.  But this was not a must-have item.

No, and that's why they gave up so little.  I do think they got him to add to their team - they see him fulfilling the Bill Guerin role of a few years ago.  But this was not a must-have item.

Very good points by Tri and CR1976.  Iginla fits into what they are trying to become, which is a much tougher/gritier team which is hard to play against.  They saw how the Flyers manhandled them in the playoffs last season, and knew that they needed to get stronger for playoff time.  All of their moves (Morrow, Murray, Iginla) fit into this mold as all of these players aren't afraid to make plays in the tough areas in front of the goal and behind the net.  Very well done by Shero and Pitt.  Can't argue with any of their moves these past few weeks as they now have a very good balance of grit and skill on each of their top 3 lines as they clearly are all in for a cup this season.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

As a Devils fan - honestly it's a big so what.  The moves change nothing - I don't feel the Devils now face a tougher opponent in the Pens -- or a weaker one for that matter.  :noclue: no big deal.

So if I were a Pens fan... I'd be a little nervous. 

For me these moves say one of two things either 1) Over-kill which the team might sense is a vote of no confidence by management or 2) Insurance which the team might sense is a vote of no-confidence by management. 

I don't doubt the new guys will come in ready to ride the wave to the Cup.  The guys themselves won't screw with the chemistry - but that niggling little "we had this covered" thing will exist.  It's a seed of doubt more than an energy boost because it's too heavy handed IMO. I'm not disregarding the added grit etc that Chuck recapped for us above - at the end of the day in a non-mental world that's absolutely what it is.  But it's kind of a gloppy move to me and I'm looking at ways it may misfire.

I don't follow the team enough - but they have always seemed a little fragile in terms of the team mindset.  So Iginla coming in and telling everyone what a team they are... I just wonder if it may fall flat. The current players may press to distinguish themselves as the team leader.

Edited by Pepperkorn

While other team's get stronger, we get decimated by injuries and Lou is playing pocket pool.....Awesome

For the first time in eons, I bought the Star Ledger and there was an article that Lou was looking for a scorer, but he wasn't going to throw away good parts.    Lou is handling this well, if he waits, he can get things much cheaper... IF they fit.     Jagr is still an option if the Dallas deal falls through. 

Also, listening to Hockey Central now (also for the first time in eons), and they are ripping Calgary for basically getting players that may not even make the team in the next few years.   OUCH.

LOL, the guy is still a 20 to 30 G a year scorer, and he's a good strong athlete.  no he's not what he was, but this helps them 

Pascal Dupuis has 15 goals and 9 assists playing with Crosby. I'm not implying he's a better player than Iginla but it would be real hard to beat that type of production. Is Iginla gonna usurp Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Neal or Martin on the first pp unit (when healthy)?

I am absolutely astounded by the fact that Calgary couldn't get one of the top 5 prospects from the Pens in this deal.

After seeing this, maybe Uncle Lou can pry Camalleri or Tanguay away at the deadline for some smelling salts, an old wooden Koho from 1992, and a Red Alert T-shirt from the 2009 playoffs (size XXXL of course).

how about condtional '88 Yugo :)

I don't care who Pittsburgh picks up, I'll guarantee they'll want no part of NJ come playoff time and would rather some other team deal with the Devils.   Just get in, get healthy, and let's see how this plays out.   Zero pressure on the Devs now. 

And, just another reason to hate the Rangers.   If not for NY, I'd hate the Penguins more than any other team.....and I really want to.

Pascal Dupuis has 15 goals and 9 assists playing with Crosby. I'm not implying he's a better player than Iginla but it would be real hard to beat that type of production. Is Iginla gonna usurp Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Neal or Martin on the first pp unit (when healthy)?

Thats a good point, will the old man swallow some pride for the good of the quest.  I sense a Ray Bourque feel good moment coming on...sniff, sniff

I haven't followed Malkin's concussion issues closely, but maybe there is more going on there then is being said. Just a thought. 

Jerome forced the moved to Pittsburgh, hence the terrible return.  They couldn't even get a 1st round for sure out of it. Those 2 bodies thrown in there just makes its look a little fatter, basically if he doesn't resign there, he walked for nothing.  I have a feeling it behind the scenes situation wasn't as pretty as they are making it out to be.

I trust in Lou. If he doesnt pull the trigger on players like Morrow or Iginla, my guess is we don't need them. I'd rather go with his expertise than a bunch of armchair GM's. As for the Pens or Bruins, as long as we're at full-strength, I'm not worried about either team.

Thanks for the post, Lamoriello family member

Thats a good point, will the old man swallow some pride for the good of the quest.  I sense a Ray Bourque feel good moment coming on...sniff, sniff

All you need now is to have Gary Thorne call the games in the playoffs while having his lips permanently glued to Iginla's and Pittsburgh's ass and you complete the cycle.

id rather see the devils do a mid range long term kind of trade or even nothing than throwing assets for a rental that may not be worth it if we don't make a run.

What i'd really want Lou to do is to get assets without hurting the team too much, and i strongly believe that dealing any of our current older dmen wouldnt hurt that much. they've been in and out and its been the same results, if he could get a second or a prospect for one of them. Go for it Lou, deep draft, deep draft

I dont know how any sane person can think we match up well against Pitt come playoff time.

anything can happen, Fleury can sh!t the bed again, their Dcorp can collapse, they can struggle on offence and panic. Look at last year against Philly it was pathetic.

I dont know how any sane person can think we match up well against Pitt come playoff time.

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis

Neal - Malkin - Iginla

Morrow - Sutter - Kennedy

Bennett - Glass - Cooke

I don't know how any sane person can think anyone matches up well to that.

That 1st line is top notch. That 2nd line is better than 90% of 1st lines and arguably better than all of them. Third line makes an argument for among the best 3rd lines in hockey, too.