Scott Stevens and Matt Shaw named assistant coaches

Mayday

Does anyone else follow (or I should say "like") Martinbrodeur30.com on Facebook? The reason i ask is about a week or 2 ago (whenever it was announced that Oates was leaving) i was going through "My Wall" on Facebook and there was a status update / article posted by MartinBrodeur30.com with something to the effect of "Devils Name Scott Stevens Asst. Coach" and when I clicked the link on it to the website it was a dead link and when I clicked back on my browser that status update was gone; forever. Long story short, it's like Marty (or really whomever runs his site) knew this a couple weeks ago and posted it by mistake and i happened to catch it for a split second. Not really news or anything, just wanted to share...

PS - I like Scott Stevens.

I don't know who Matt Shaw is, but word up on the Captain. Pumped to have him behind the bench full time working with our young blueliners.

Former Sharks assistant.

Here's his NHL bio:

Matt Shaw

Assistant Coach

A former assistant coach with Todd McLellan on the American Hockey League’s Houston Aeros, Matt Shaw enters his second season as an assistant coach. He joined the Sharks in July 2009.

Before joining the Sharks, Shaw spent two seasons (2007-09) with the Minnesota Wild on former Head Coach Jacques Lemaire’s staff. He served as assistant coach for the 2008-09 season after spending 2007-08 as the team’s video coach. Shaw’s duties with the Wild included video responsibilities, pre-scouting opposing teams and in-game analysis and adjustments.

Shaw has been behind the bench for more than 1,000 professional and collegiate hockey games in his coaching career and spent seven seasons as an assistant coach for the Aeros, including 2001-05 as McLellan’s assistant, before joining the Wild. He also served as assistant general manager for Houston. Shaw helped lead the Aeros to a record of 273-215-74 (.552), including the 2003 Calder Cup, in his seven years with the organization.

Before joining Houston, Shaw served as head coach of the Quad City Mallards of the United Hockey League (UHL) in 1999-00, leading the team to a 53-16-5 record and a trip to the UHL Finals. He also spent two seasons as an assistant coach in Quad City from 1995-97 and they won the 1996-97 UHL Championship. Shaw was also an assistant coach for the Chicago Wolves of the International Hockey League (IHL) in 1998-99 and served as head coach of the ECHL’s Mobile Mysticks in 1997-98.

The Phoenix, Ariz. native began his coaching career with his alma mater, Colorado College, where he served as an assistant coach for the Tigers from 1989-92. His primary responsibilities were coordinating practices and recruiting. During his tenure, Shaw was the youngest recruiter in NCAA Division I.

He played 138 collegiate games as a defenseman with U.S. International University (1985-88) and Colorado College (1988-89) and was a tri-captain with the Tigers during his senior season and earned All-WCHA Honorable Mention.

My jersey is relevant again

Scott Stevens' jersey is never irrelevant. The man is in our rafters.

More TG

Lou Lamorello said Stevens will run the defense from the bench. Barr will also join DeBoer on the bench. Shaw will run PP, watch from above.

I don't know who Matt Shaw is, but word up on the Captain. Pumped to have him behind the bench full time working with our young blueliners.

Matt Shaw was assistant coach for the Sharks. He was their PP coach which was 2nd best in the league

Edit: ghdi beat me to it

Edited by eaglejelly

After reading the bio, why did we get 2 defensive-coaches? Will Barr step in place from Oates?

Shaw is the PP guy, which he was for the Sharks.

TG "Lou Lamorello said Stevens will run the defense from the bench. Barr will also join DeBoer on the bench. Shaw will run PP, watch from above."

Shaw also has history of working with Barr. I can't hate on either of these moves now.

Edited by ghdi

I don't expect him to turn this PP into a top 5 unit, but if he can keep them in the top 1/2 of the league I'd be satisfied. A top 10 finish would be great. They were way to stationary last season. More movement on the PP both entering the zone and once set-up is needed. They are too predictable either trying to feed Kovy at the point for the 1 timer or working the triangle down low for a shot in the slot.

The worst San Jose finished on the power play in Shaw's tenure there was 4th. Sign me the fvck up. Good hire.

We finished in the top half last season. 14th overall.

Just sayin'. Despite all the crap Oates took, the PP rebounded nicely in the second half and finished deceptively high compared to what I think most Devils fans would have thought.

Edit: That was supposed to be in reply to CtD, not MadDog. Not sure how that happened...

Edited by thelastonealive

Does anyone else follow (or I should say "like") Martinbrodeur30.com on Facebook? The reason i ask is about a week or 2 ago (whenever it was announced that Oates was leaving) i was going through "My Wall" on Facebook and there was a status update / article posted by MartinBrodeur30.com with something to the effect of "Devils Name Scott Stevens Asst. Coach" and when I clicked the link on it to the website it was a dead link and when I clicked back on my browser that status update was gone; forever. Long story short, it's like Marty (or really whomever runs his site) knew this a couple weeks ago and posted it by mistake and i happened to catch it for a split second. Not really news or anything, just wanted to share...

i totally saw that too. i was surprised no one made any sort of big deal about it. i chalked it up to the mb30 page just drumming up interest wo any sort of confirmation. now that this is legit, it seems pretty interesting. fun stuff.

Most likely it's one of those fake insiders that makes educated guesses and posts/tweets it as being sourced.

ADDENDUM: By the way, this brings up another example of the ways of the fake insiders.

Gulliti tweeted at 1:25 about the Stevens hiring. Hockeyyinsiderr then tweeted, two minutes later, "Hearing #NJDevils are very close to announcing Scott Stevens as assistant coach."

What a clown.

Edited by Daniel