Scott Stevens and Matt Shaw named assistant coaches

Mayday

Ftorek with his bench rage episode. That was comical to watch but now its one of those :doh1: moments from a professional standpoint. a bench!? I could see a stick or a water bottle or something loose, but to throw a bench!?

Every time I watch that video I always wonder how the Red Wings cannot afford a real bench where it is bolted to the ground like every other arena. I know it was back in 2000 and the Joe is one of the older arenas but c'mon lol.

Besides JMac, which coach got canned because the team wasn't getting luck?

blink.gif To say he got canned because the team was unlucky is ridiculous. Was the team lucky? No. But he got canned because he was one of the worst coaches in history.

Edited by ben00rs

Ftorek with his bench rage episode. That was comical to watch but now its one of those :doh1: moments from a professional standpoint. a bench!? I could see a stick or a water bottle or something loose, but to throw a bench!?

I'm so glad he did. Stephen Walkom was so brutal that game

This nearly made me fall off my chair!

By that standard if you want a relevant item buy a suit jacket with Stevens stitched onto the back of it!! :P

PK "retiring" sucks.

I know you are out there PK!!!

You are reading this!!!!! :ph34r:

haha. Not surprised. as I wrote before - saw the HUGE new bio - knew it probably wasn't for a special assignment coach -- this was before Larry left even.

It's never a good time to get married, move or take a new job. It feels like he's taking the plunge. Is he in the right place mentally? No question, he's not :evil: but he'll get there. He's a fast learner and he's hungry - starting now or later will make no difference in his success or failure.

He's reving up to be heard - but not so much to listen - so there's going to be a little learning curve -- I don't think he can listen right now - I don't want him to -- just get started. Baptism by fire works well for him. and you know, if he gets lost

I'll come out of retirement. :lol:

Most likely it's one of those fake insiders that makes educated guesses and posts/tweets it as being sourced.

ADDENDUM: By the way, this brings up another example of the ways of the fake insiders.

Gulliti tweeted at 1:25 about the Stevens hiring. Hockeyyinsiderr then tweeted, two minutes later, "Hearing #NJDevils are very close to announcing Scott Stevens as assistant coach."

What a clown.

His brother manages the Facebook page.

And yes, that news came up on the page a while ago

OK -- one final thing -- :giggle: SERIOUSLY - this is it.

I love this:

When asked what he’s learned from Stevens, Burlon said, “Small things, stuff that you can’t really describe. You just do it on your own instinctively.”

THAT'S what I'm talkin' about. Stevens success or failure will hinge on his ability to communicate intuitive thinking.

That's how I work. I fail at it here now... :evil: Stevens - :noclue: there comes a time you lose your team -- it happens.

If Stevens... oh really pepperkorn is this necessary? :blahblah: You see Larry - it's the same mold though not quite the same ingredients. There are times it will work, and times it will fail in a physically painful way - we'll see which happens more often. :noclue:

and actually it infuriates me I will never EVER discuss hockey in any real way with Stevens. If I won a day with Stevens (or Lou or Larry) I'd never gain the presence of mind to say anything beyond idle chitchat. I'd even be sated if they told me I had my head up my ass. If I feel like something isn't productive in some way, I dont want to do it :P but I'm so compulsive

I love this:

THAT'S what I'm talkin' about. Stevens success or failure will hinge on his ability to communicate intuitive thinking.

That's how I work. I fail at it here now... :evil: Stevens - :noclue: there comes a time you lose your team -- it happens.

If Stevens... oh really pepperkorn is this necessary? :blahblah: You see Larry - it's the same mold though not quite the same ingredients. There are times it will work, and times it will fail in a physically painful way - we'll see which happens more often. :noclue:

and actually it infuriates me I will never EVER discuss hockey in any real way with Stevens. If I won a day with Stevens (or Lou or Larry) I'd never gain the presence of mind to say anything beyond idle chitchat. I'd even be sated if they told me I had my head up my ass. If I feel like something isn't productive in some way, I dont want to do it :P but I'm so compulsive

Huh? thats a lot of rambling

• Like 1

Nah, brah. I mean, yes, but PK actually makes a really good point here. One of the things we've always admired about Scotty was that he led by example. It's possible he was a firebrand in the locker room as well, but Scotty went out on the ice, did what needed to be done, and everyone else took their cues from that. If Stevens can figure out how to communicate hockey sense, he'll be a great coach. I think he'll do fine. Remember, he had to retool his game when he came here. He was one of the best offensive defensemen in the game prior to becoming a Devil, and he was asked to focus less on offense and more on defense. The fact that he was able to accomplish that shows that he's able to analyze the mechanics of the game rather than just doing it by instinct.

Nah, brah. I mean, yes, but PK actually makes a really good point here. One of the things we've always admired about Scotty was that he led by example. It's possible he was a firebrand in the locker room as well, but Scotty went out on the ice, did what needed to be done, and everyone else took their cues from that. If Stevens can figure out how to communicate hockey sense, he'll be a great coach. I think he'll do fine. Remember, he had to retool his game when he came here. He was one of the best offensive defensemen in the game prior to becoming a Devil, and he was asked to focus less on offense and more on defense. The fact that he was able to accomplish that shows that he's able to analyze the mechanics of the game rather than just doing it by instinct.

I think the thing I am looking forward to most with Scotty on the bench is accountability; he's not going to let players get away with half-ass effort and/or making stupid mistakes. I feel like this team has been soft in accountability for years now - no one is afraid to make mistakes - and that has to change.

I think the thing I am looking forward to most with Scotty on the bench is accountability; he's not going to let players get away with half-ass effort and/or making stupid mistakes. I feel like this team has been soft in accountability for years now - no one is afraid to make mistakes - and that has to change.

I agree, if I was a young D, and I messed up on the ice, I would almost rather go straight to the locker room than go back to the bench and see Stevens pissed off at me :shudder:

Rowdy, as far as PK's comment, i was just playing with her and mostly looking for an excuse to post that video. BUT, I do have the concentrate and read it like 2 or 3 times to understand what she is saying sometimes, lol.

haha. Not surprised. as I wrote before - saw the HUGE new bio - knew it probably wasn't for a special assignment coach -- this was before Larry left even.

It's never a good time to get married, move or take a new job. It feels like he's taking the plunge. Is he in the right place mentally? No question, he's not :evil: but he'll get there. He's a fast learner and he's hungry - starting now or later will make no difference in his success or failure.

He's reving up to be heard - but not so much to listen - so there's going to be a little learning curve -- I don't think he can listen right now - I don't want him to -- just get started. Baptism by fire works well for him. and you know, if he gets lost

I'll come out of retirement. :lol:

From an interview i read, its sounds more like he has now got the time to give, where as previously he didn't (actually to a degree i think he is worried about being bored and having something to fill a gap in his life). I think he sounds ready from the way he is speaking.

I love this:

If you won a day with Stevens , i think you would pass out.

I agree, if I was a young D, and I messed up on the ice, I would almost rather go straight to the locker room than go back to the bench and see Stevens pissed off at me :shudder:

I agree with both of you. Not to take anything away from DeBoer because he's done a great job so far, but this team is at its best when there's a coach on staff who is willing to kick ass and take names when necessary.

Rowdy, as far as PK's comment, i was just playing with her and mostly looking for an excuse to post that video. BUT, I do have the concentrate and read it like 2 or 3 times to understand what she is saying sometimes, lol.

It's cool. It's my fault for not having my "just playing" detector in working order. :lol:

I think the thing I am looking forward to most with Scotty on the bench is accountability; ...

Yup! I want to see someone NOT perform when he gives them that "You gotta be kidding me with that effort" look.

And, of course, I AM looking forward to Torts getting put in his place and winked at! laugh.gif

Yeah cause seriously (well from what he was telling the media) it seems like deboer never had anything against the play of any player... How many times a player had terrible stretches and reporters were asking him what he was thinking about the players play and seems like he was always okay with his play and that there was no problem at all. Of course he wouldnt throw a player under the bus there but still, to me he never admitted that a player was having bad games... I could be wrong tho but im under that impression anyway

Yeah cause seriously (well from what he was telling the media) it seems like deboer never had anything against the play of any player... How many times a player had terrible stretches and reporters were asking him what he was thinking about the players play and seems like he was always okay with his play and that there was no problem at all. Of course he wouldnt throw a player under the bus there but still, to me he never admitted that a player was having bad games... I could be wrong tho but im under that impression anyway

Throwing players under the bus in the media is immature and unprofessional. It makes fans feel better since the coach is acknowledging that one of his players isn't playing up to his potential, but players don't like it. I know guys like Tortorella make it work.

I can guarantee that it wasn't all wine and roses behind the scenes.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

Throwing players under the bus in the media is immature and unprofessional. I can guarantee that it wasn't all wine and roses behind the scenes.

I just wanted to point out that "throwing players under the bus to the media" had nothing to do with my original point.

Edited by ben00rs

I'm curious to see what Shaw can do for our PP. With Kovy and Zids now having some chemistry on the point, our PP should be that much better. With Zach gone , maybe Kovy moves to LW on the PP and Larsson could get some valuable time on the PP. We could run the umbrella with Kovy, Larsson and Zidlicky on the point.

Just a thought, but who knows at this point what our D will look like on a nightly basis. I sure hopre Larsson isn't the odd man out, if so, send the kid down so he can get some more game experience.

I'm curious to see what Shaw can do for our PP. With Kovy and Zids now having some chemistry on the point, our PP should be that much better. With Zach gone , maybe Kovy moves to LW on the PP and Larsson could get some valuable time on the PP. We could run the umbrella with Kovy, Larsson and Zidlicky on the point.

Just a thought, but who knows at this point what our D will look like on a nightly basis. I sure hopre Larsson isn't the odd man out, if so, send the kid down so he can get some more game experience.

we simply can't rely on Kovy's one timer all the time the whole world knows we're going for it... maybe we could put Kovy in Marty's gear and do like the Mighty Ducks did in the movie with that black kid doing the knocker puck shot lol