Parise: Money matters, but Cup chances are key to new deal

Rock

I think Colin was being sarcastic. Parise is anything but a "me first" player.

Yes I was being as sarcastic as possible and would have been more so if I wasn't posting from my phone.. He is the complete opposite of what I was describing (and in an earlier TBL game he was in 2 on 1 twice, dished it both times, and we got 2 goals)

Quinn man I honestly don't get how you could see it he way you do, though I respect your opinion.. Zach has always been regarded as a hard working, team first guy.. And there is no way he could reasonably be that upset with his ice time (as outlined by an above poster)

Name one game this season where he was going in with a 2 on 1 and actually passed it off?

Instead of one I'll give you two of Henriques SH goals.

http://video.devils.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20112012,2,461&event=N.J209&fr=false

http://video.devils.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20112012,2,435&event=T.B418&fr=false

Yes I was being as sarcastic as possible and would have been more so if I wasn't posting from my phone.. He is the complete opposite of what I was describing (and in an earlier TBL game he was in 2 on 1 twice, dished it both times, and we got 2 goals)

Quinn man I honestly don't get how you could see it he way you do, though I respect your opinion.. Zach has always been regarded as a hard working, team first guy.. And there is no way he could reasonably be that upset with his ice time (as outlined by an above poster)

No your right. I will say that he has hands down the hardest working player on the ice day in and day out. He back checks like a mother fvcker this season, battles, and most of the time wins it. Your right, I misread the part about being a selfish player. Thats not what I meant. Instead of taking a shot on goal he would much rather dish it out..insert Henriques points here... I just think that between Kovy being who he is as a person and a player plus the lack of wins in the last 2 seasons and other issues going on that we may or may not know about behind the locker room doors, he is going to say thank you shake hands and part his way. Plus think about it, if the team you were working for was having internal issues like being in debt and all this other crap going on, would you start to worry about whether or not you were receive the reputation and respect that you think you deserve?

On a different level, for the sake of argument, lets say that he does sign long term here....how do you all feel about him being the captain until retirement/transfer, because realistically speaking, he will remain the captain?

Edited by Quinn01

On a different level, for the sake of argument, lets say that he does sign long term here....how do you all feel about him being the captain until retirement/transfer, because realistically speaking, he will remain the captain?

No-one else fits the bill as well as he does. Well, except Elias, but he doesn't want it and won't be around forever...and then we'll have the same discussion again.

No your right. I will say that he has hands down the hardest working player on the ice day in and day out. He back checks like a mother fvcker this season, battles, and most of the time wins it. Your right, I misread the part about being a selfish player. Thats not what I meant. Instead of taking a shot on goal he would much rather dish it out..insert Henriques points here... I just think that between Kovy being who he is as a person and a player plus the lack of wins in the last 2 seasons and other issues going on that we may or may not know about behind the locker room doors, he is going to say thank you shake hands and part his way. Plus think about it, if the team you were working for was having internal issues like being in debt and all this other crap going on, would you start to worry about whether or not you were receive the reputation and respect that you think you deserve?

I agree that I wouldn't want to be on a team with serious financial issues.. Tough thing is that we don't know how JVB's situation will play out.. That said, the player/team/operations side of the organization gets their budgets considered first and things like marketing and fan outreach come second.. If the money situation means Zach won't have a good cast around him, that will be very bad for his chances of resigning

In terms of him being captain for the rest of his career if he signs long term, I think any player or coach in this organization will tell you that he is perfect example of a captain and leader.. He works harder than the other players, battles harder for a full 60 minutes, and is a positive guy.. I'm betting that Zach is the 2014 USA team captain in the Olympics.. He did score one of the biggest goals in Team USA history and it would have been even bigger had we won it in overtime (if he had scored the OT goal too, he'd be the American Crosby).. The Devils haven't had a better captain since Stevens (although I'm sure Elias and Nieds were amazing as well)

ecklunds assertions are absolutely perposterous. kovy is the least "limelight grabbing" star in the league. he SHUNS IT! zach is the undisputed fan favorite. that relationship is the furthest thing in parises decision making process. and our cap situation is almost ideal in its timing.

Is the club financially healthy 3 - 8 years out?

are we ready to make a cup run in the next 2-5 years?

is Ms. Woods happy with the NNJ/NYC area?

Edited by EdgeControl

I think it must be interesting for Parise to see the love Elias has gotten both with his record breaking goal and his game played milestones...It is becominging unique in sports and it must be a really cool thing. If he leaves he will never have the experience of the love Elias gets for his loyalty and his year in year out dedication to the team. That being said if he goes to the Wild he would most likely get all the records and go down as the greatest player in their history...so I guess I don't really have a point. Dammit.

I hope he stays and I will enjoy his hustle and dedication for the rest of this year then we'll see.

does anyone know what team could give him a $8M /yr type of contract that is actually a cup contender? i was looking at capgeek and most teams wouldnt have the kind of money.

The Rangers will, which scares the hell out of me.

rangers with a little bit of maneuvering. chicago with very little at all. detroit with almost no problem.

There is absolutely no reason for him not to test the market. Even if he absolutely wanted to stay with the Devils, become a free agent will only increase his offer from NJ. (Certainly worked for Kovy)

That being said I highly doubt he is a Devils next year. He probably won't take the highest offer, but he will get a big contract from a true contender. I could definitely see him going to Detroit. Imagine him playing with Datsyuk.

I didn't see this posted, if it has please delete

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2012/01/devils_zach_parise_money_matte.html

“For me that’s probably the biggest thing,” Parise said. “The money is definitely important. That’s real life, let’s face it. I’m not going to say it’s not. That’s realistic. But most important for me is being competitive and having a chance to win the Stanley Cup.”

Well. That's not EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. If that's the case we are probably in trouble.

as I've written before, IMO without at least 1 playoff round win this year, I expect the #9 jersey to have a different name on the back come training camp in September

If we don't win at least one playoff round, chances are Parise will be partially to blame for it, just as he has been every other year we've underachieved in the playoffs. Zach hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in the postseasons he's been in, so maybe he should look in the fvcking mirror, eh?

Edited by MadDog2020

Well. That's not EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. If that's the case we are probably in trouble.

the thing is he never said that he want the cup next season... i think if he sees that we have a bright future (which i think we do) that he'd like to stick around and really participate to something...

to me to win a cup like elias and the other guys did... they sticked with the team and won it... you have to feel way more accomplished if you worked hard for a few years and win it than just to with the easy way just going for the cup like Hossa did... i can understand the selfishness of it but to me its dirty and its taking away the pride of it as a team... i dont know, i think Zach is loyal and that he'd really like to be a part of the history of the franchise by winning it rather than just leave