The Crow-Eating Thread

RowdyFan42

So, like many Devils fans on the board, I didn't think the Devils would make it past the Flyers. Having seen Philly annihilate Pittsburgh and having seen New Jersey barely squeak past Florida, I was prepared for -- and fully expected -- carnage. I knew the Flyers had their weaknesses, but the Devils had more, or so it seemed. I was convinced they would be better able to take advantage of our weak spots than we could of theirs.

Of course I wanted the Devils to win. Any Devils fan who says otherwise isn't really a Devils fan. My heart said New Jersey, but my head said Philadelphia.

And I was wrong.

Damn, it feels good to be wrong.

:koolaid:

i dont know why everyone was so down on us...philly got to play a pitt team that slowly got worse and worse since sid got back...not that im not impressed with how badly we beat them and i credit the coaching staff

toot toot my horn....LGD's

and yeah we can beat the rangers or wash as well

Thirded. I thought we were going to see Game 1-type games throughout most of the series. I'm still amazed by what the Devils did...and how they just dismantled the Flyers.

Right until game night of game one I had my doubts...then I saw Bryz's goal tending against us and I saw hope.

This defense and complete team play is something we have not seen in a while. Complete games of Devils A game? Unheard of.

I thought we certainly had a chance going into the series, but once we got dominated for much of Game 1 (OT or no OT) I had my doubts. But even beyond that, if you told me after Game 3 of the Florida series we'd be sitting here I'd have thought you were living in loonyville.

Seconded. I don't know what happened to the Flyers, but they never had a dominant stretch in this series after Game 1. The Devils not only outplayed the Flyers, they outworked them, played smarter, and outcoached them.

If you had said to me take a Flyers 4-2 series win or let them play I would have taken the 4-2... afraid of being swept

So, like many Devils fans on the board, I didn't think the Devils would make it past the Flyers. Having seen Philly annihilate Pittsburgh and having seen New Jersey barely squeak past Florida, I was prepared for -- and fully expected -- carnage. I knew the Flyers had their weaknesses, but the Devils had more, or so it seemed. I was convinced they would be better able to take advantage of our weak spots than we could of theirs.

Of course I wanted the Devils to win. Any Devils fan who says otherwise isn't really a Devils fan. My heart said New Jersey, but my head said Philadelphia.

And I was wrong.

Damn, it feels good to be wrong.

:koolaid:

This. Perfect Post.

Edit: and how the Devils all of a sudden turned into the team they were this series is mind-boggling.

Edited by ben00rs

I would have bet on the Flyers if there was a gun to my head, but I'm not shocked by any team winning any series. Talent levels are too close for almost every team, for any team to be a shoe in.

True, and yeah, no such thing as a shocking series win in the NHL anymore. But this one was surprising as hell...especially in 5 games.

Edit: and how the Devils all of a sudden turned into the team they were this series is mind-boggling.

It just shows how much pressure got taken off by that first-round win. The Devils needed to win the first round, and once they did they turned it up another level in this series.

We were a very good forechecking team all year with 3 good lines. Florida shut our board work down and broke out on us as well as any team this year. They were tough to pin in

Coming into to this series was like a vacation for our forecheck compared to florida. They couldn't handle it. And our small quick defensemen were excellent at winning the pucks behind our net. Phillys lack of foecheck was just as surprising as our dominance at it. Tonight they pounded our Dmen off the puck but it was too little too lAte

I'll eat crow, but really my opinion was only based on how much the Devils struggled with Florida and how good Philly looked at times against Pittsburgh. I'm not a natural pessimist when it comes to NJ.

This series was an overwhelming pleasant surprise. So many stepped up and were fantastic. What a fun ride so far.