Rask signed for $8M a year??

njdevsftw

If Lou didn't have a plan to re-sign Schneider, he wouldn't have done the trade. I'm confident Schneider will get re-signed. In Lou we trust.

If Schneider leaves after his contract, the trade will obviously be seen as a bust....unless we win the Cup between now and then. LL never goes anywhere without a plan, so I'm sure he'll have a plan A,B and C for re-signing Schneider.

If Schneider leaves after his contract, the trade will obviously be seen as a bust....unless we win the Cup between now and then. LL never goes anywhere without a plan, so I'm sure he'll have a plan A,B and C for re-signing Schneider.

Of course, it takes two to tango. 

My guess is that Lou signs Schneider to an extension next summer.. You can tell how burned he felt by Zach that he went out and extended Zajac a year early.. No way he lets Schneider sniff FA here.. If he can't come to a reasonable deal with Cory by the start of 2014 - 2015 then I guarantee he moves him before the deadline

True. I think Schneider will be open to signing here if he is the #1 guy by the time his contract is up. I doubt he wants to sign another deal where he doesn't have that guarantee.

I really think it'll all come down to the money.  If he performs the way he's supposed to, he's getting $7 million AAV at a minimum, whether it's from the Devils or someone else.

I really think it'll all come down to the money.  If he performs the way he's supposed to, he's getting $7 million AAV at a minimum, whether it's from the Devils or someone else.

I'd be furious if we signed a goalie for $7M. I'd rather let Schneider walk then pay that money. I don't care how good he is. MAYBE, JUST MAYBE if he takes us deep, he should get a big contract with us, but without that, he can go screw. I'd be looking to trade him for a lesser, but still at least average goalie+pick/prospect if he's looking for giant $$$ after two seasons.

Chicago has won the Cup twice now without a truly great goalie. I don't think Niemi was great, he's good, but not great and same goes for Crawford, he isn't elite in my eyes. This has kind of changed my thinking about to where I'm not sure paying a goalie big time money makes sense when you can get an average to slightly above average one for a lot less.

Edited by ATLL765

I'd be furious if we signed a goalie for $7M. I'd rather let Schneider walk then pay that money. I don't care how good he is. MAYBE, JUST MAYBE if he takes us deep, he should get a big contract with us, but without that, he can go screw. I'd be looking to trade him for a lesser, but still at least average goalie+pick/prospect if he's looking for giant $$$ after two seasons.

Chicago has won the Cup twice now without a truly great goalie. I don't think Niemi was great, he's good, but not great and same goes for Crawford, he isn't elite in my eyes. This has kind of changed my thinking about to where I'm not sure paying a goalie big time money makes sense when you can get an average to slightly above average one for a lot less.

I don't think the $'s the problem, the term is. It's like CBJ giving Bob $6 or whatever but it's only over 2 years. Unless you're Marty or Roy, you probably end up faltering over time, but for a short term, they're more likely to be worth it

Even if Manta's completely ignorant on Tuuka Rask related matters, it's not like he's been doing this for 10 years or something. I'd give Schneider 3 or 4 years at $7 if that's what it took