46 replies to this topic

#1 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:19 PM

I think it's long overdue for this board. I really, really think that there should be a mandatory post-count before people have the ability to start a thread in every section of the board besides "introduce yourself".

I think it helps out on a few levels:

1) it would stop bots from being able to join and spam by creating new threads.
2) it would stop members from joining for the *sole purpose* of selling to our community. We're not an ebay page.
3) it would help slow down and stop par-itis, like we've seen so recently emerge again:

Just a quick browse through hell shows me stuff like this (i'll keep their identites hidden so I don't call them out individually:

Member A has 6 posts. 4 of them are threads. Of the 4 threads, only one brough about any discussion whatsoever.

Member B has 33 posts. 3 of them are threads. None of the threads are on topic, and none of them have more than 2 replies.Hell gets cluttered by meaningless (and oftentimes duplicate) threads. If we make it so your post count must be, say, 100 posts before you're allowed to start a thread, it gives a new member time to learn the ropes and get accustomed to the way things work around here, before they go off and start 5 threads about Free Agency 3 years from now and the future of our backup goalie position.

My suggestion:

Introduce Yourself: 0 post count mandatory
The Marketplace: 200 post count mandatory
All other sections of the board: 100 post count mandatory.

Thoughts?

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#2 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:31 PM

The software only limits by post count overall to post anything (post or thread). I will look through the resource sites later. The suggestions are valid though.

#3 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

But aren't 8598 of darths posts thread starters?? :lol:

8,599 counting this one now, I guess. :noclue:

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#4 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

But aren't 8598 of darths posts thread starters?? :lol:

8,599 counting this one now, I guess. :noclue:

Aside from the Board Awards and this suggestion, I've started 4 threads since April 2nd. Hush up, my master.

The software only limits by post count overall to post anything (post or thread). I will look through the resource sites later. The suggestions are valid though.

Oh, I hadn't even thought of that. I wonder if Rowdy knows anything about it.

Posted Image

#5 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,599 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

I think it is possible. I'll poke around and let DM know what I find.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#6 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

Hush up, my master.

Best watch your ass, boy! Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#7 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,445 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:58 PM

Wow, talk about another way to yet make this board even MORE clique-ish and excluding

"hi, we're glad you're here. but you're not good enough to post yet, because God forbid the Message Board gets pissed at a double post or something they don't deem worthy of a new thread...OH NOOOOZZZZSSSSS!!"

BAD idea......
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#8 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:17 PM

Wow, talk about another way to yet make this board even MORE clique-ish and excluding

"hi, we're glad you're here. but you're not good enough to post yet, because God forbid the Message Board gets pissed at a double post or something they don't deem worthy of a new thread...OH NOOOOZZZZSSSSS!!"

BAD idea......

Your melodramatic and woe-is-me posts are always satisfying on an otherwise dreary day here at NJDevs, Crasher. I post on a few boards where this works very well, it helps the new guys get a feel for the boards before they go off on a thread-tangent and get yelled at.

I'm sure your hysterically embarrassing quote will be word-for-word the message we'd be conveying by adding that rule. In fact, I think every other grown man on this message board would yell out "OH NOOOOZZZSSS" together in warning to the new members.

Posted Image

#9 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,445 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:22 PM

Your melodramatic and woe-is-me posts are always satisfying on an otherwise dreary day here at NJDevs, Crasher. I post on a few boards where this works very well, it helps the new guys get a feel for the boards before they go off on a thread-tangent and get yelled at.

I'm sure your hysterically embarrassing quote will be word-for-word the message we'd be conveying by adding that rule. In fact, I think every other grown man on this message board would yell out "OH NOOOOZZZSSS" together in warning to the new members.

Further proof that you can be an attention whore idiot at 8,000 posts just as well as at 3 posts, and why the idea is AWFUL (which is the point in expressing an opinon here RIGHT....or does that need a post-count too??)

I'm on plenty of boards too, NONE have a "post count to start a thread rule"

And don't worry once you get out of puberty and off the steroids, you MIGHT understand a little sarcasm there lil feller B )
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#10 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

And don't worry once you get out of puberty and off the steroids, you MIGHT understand a little sarcasm there lil feller B )

Lulz, good one. I don't need steroids to lift my own body weight, which is saying more than others.

B )

Posted Image

#11 Par9

Par9

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:46 PM

I think it's long overdue for this board. I really, really think that there should be a mandatory post-count before people have the ability to start a thread in every section of the board besides "introduce yourself".

I think it helps out on a few levels:

1) it would stop bots from being able to join and spam by creating new threads.
2) it would stop members from joining for the *sole purpose* of selling to our community. We're not an ebay page.
3) it would help slow down and stop par-itis, like we've seen so recently emerge again:

Just a quick browse through hell shows me stuff like this (i'll keep their identites hidden so I don't call them out individually:

Member A has 6 posts. 4 of them are threads. Of the 4 threads, only one brough about any discussion whatsoever.

Member B has 33 posts. 3 of them are threads. None of the threads are on topic, and none of them have more than 2 replies.Hell gets cluttered by meaningless (and oftentimes duplicate) threads. If we make it so your post count must be, say, 100 posts before you're allowed to start a thread, it gives a new member time to learn the ropes and get accustomed to the way things work around here, before they go off and start 5 threads about Free Agency 3 years from now and the future of our backup goalie position.

My suggestion:

Introduce Yourself: 0 post count mandatory
The Marketplace: 200 post count mandatory
All other sections of the board: 100 post count mandatory.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

For the most part I've had stopped posting here mainly due to the fact that wannabe "mods" like you always seem to be complaining about every little thing. I just

feel your attitude drives newer posters away(regardless on how they act). Clearly this isn't the place to rant but I just needed to say it.

Spend a little less time on the internet and shut the **** up! Thanks :boogie:
Official Keeper of Adam Henrique, White on the PP, and Darcy Zajac

#12 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

I agree, nobody likes volunteer hall monitors, I kind of think if the system limits the new thread creation it won't seem so personal.

We are going to give it a try, if people feel it is too restricting and unwelcoming chime in.

#13 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

If you're looking to gauge people's opinions, I'd suggest posting something about it in hell. I just figured it might be a good idea, I obviously have no problem with it if the rest of the board disagrees.

Posted Image

#14 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,599 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:19 PM

ANYWAY...

We can't have different forums with different post count requirements before being allowed to start a thread, at least not with what we have out of the box. Like DM said, it's possible there's something on the IPB resources site that would let us do that. What we CAN do is have one global threshold; I figure that ought to be good enough. (That can be turned off per forum, so you can start a thread in Introduce Yourself but nowhere else.) It's also possible to have, on a per-forum basis, a post count you must have before being allowed to post at all.

I can see the benefits of doing it. It's yet another weapon in the battle against spam, and it "encourages" n00bs to sit back and see how we do things before starting topics of their own.

We're working on it, shaking out the bugs and whatnot.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#15 newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:36 AM

Being somewhat "new" in the sense I mostly lurk, have a low post count, and active on other forums, I can see the benefits to it.

It wouldn't affect me due to my habits, and experience in forums, but i can see it helping with other types of people.

I think it is a lack of common sense and laziness that causes duplicate threads, and not following large single topic threads.

If it needs to be done to help teach users, then go for it.

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to none."
Posted Image

#16 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:47 AM

BAD idea......

Lulz, good one. I don't need steroids to lift my own body weight, which is saying more than others.

Posted Image

If yer gonna do it, I don't think you need to get in the hundreds. maybe 40? I thought Crasher was actually on to something there. :huh:

Posted Image

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#17 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:52 AM

So now I won't be able to get the latest deals on knock-offs from bbest*****.com anymore? This sucks!!

#18 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:01 PM

can someone start a thread on authentic vs knockoff jerseys ... or has that one been done ? Posted Image
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

#19 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:19 PM

X number of posts before one can start a thread? Sheesh, that is absurd. I belong to several forums and have been online since the 90's and the only restriction that I have ever encountered was the first post, regardless of being a thread starter or a reply, was checked by admins so that spam was held to a minimum. Spammers get banned all the time on other boards. This first post to be reviewed helps alleviate such nonsense. Oh, nice way to avoid letting folks sell stuff like tickets to a game they cannot attend. I have this place go through lots of changes over the years and this one takes the cake. Nice way to be friendly and open to new members. Thanks for joining and now you are restricted like a child in pre-school.
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#20 mac760

mac760

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:47 PM

X number of posts before one can start a thread? Sheesh, that is absurd. I belong to several forums and have been online since the 90's and the only restriction that I have ever encountered was the first post, regardless of being a thread starter or a reply, was checked by admins so that spam was held to a minimum. Spammers get banned all the time on other boards. This first post to be reviewed helps alleviate such nonsense. Oh, nice way to avoid letting folks sell stuff like tickets to a game they cannot attend. I have this place go through lots of changes over the years and this one takes the cake. Nice way to be friendly and open to new members. Thanks for joining and now you are restricted like a child in pre-school.

I kind of agree. The problem at this point in the season is it can be kind of quiet. So some of the so-so threads linger on the front page a bit longer. This is just the nature of the off season (and a long one at that). Restrictions may turn off people that would bring valuable discussion to the board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users