Devils keeping 2012 first rd pick - Official

ghdi

We have two years to do it. I can see them keeping it this year if they expect a quick return to playoffs or if the new CBA would eliminate past penalties like that. Other than that, this is the best year to do it I would think.

I was beginning to wonder if giving up the pick wasn't as much of a slam dunk as we thought. Especially since we are giving up a third rounder this year, plus one for the Zidlicky trade.

I don't necessarily agree, but I can kind of sort of see where they might be coming from if they chose to keep it this year.

i'm sorry but this is simply asinine. i cannot understand this decision at all. even if they win the cup next year, this is still a terrible gamble.

Maybe Lou feels bad for his scouts? I guess Conte feels confident they can get a very good player in that range. But it does seem like a giant gamble, especially if Parise is gone.

I was beginning to wonder if giving up the pick wasn't as much of a slam dunk as we thought. Especially since we are giving up a third rounder this year, plus one for the Zidlicky trade.

I don't necessarily agree, but I can kind of sort of see where they might be coming from if they chose to keep it this year.

We have picks in every round currently. We give up the third next year, making it more asinine to wait.

Maybe Lou feels bad for his scouts? I guess Conte feels confident they can get a very good player in that range. But it does seem like a giant gamble, especially if Parise is gone.

I wonder if maybe they'll be angling to trade Parise's rights ahead of free agency to pick up a pick or two in the draft either this year or next.

Is it possible the negotiating rights to Parise could net a decent pick in return?

Maybe they have their eye on someone they can get this year?

i don't care if they think there's a great player there. you simply cannot gamble with this. i wanted them to deal the pick even if they lost in the first round to florida.

while i think the odds are very far against this scenario, imagine parise leaves, the devils do not get any forward to replace him, injury or ineffectiveness limit kovy, elias, zajac and henrique and marty repeats his first half of this season for the entire season. that's a bad team and could lead to a top 10 pick. then they're forced to give up 13/14 with no clue how it will turn out.

We have picks in every round currently. We give up the third next year, making it more asinine to wait.

Hmm, got me then. Coulda swore the third was this year.

Maybe the scout team has their eyes on someone who'll probably go in the early-to-mid 20 range and need the pick to swap with.

Shocked the Devils aren't giving up their 1st this year since the 2013 class seems more regarded than 2012. A lot of media has painted this class as weak and who knows if the Devils pick lower than this in the next 2 years.

I suppose Lou either has a player(s) he really, really likes around 29 or would like to use it in some sort of trade.

It's official according to TG. Deadline's passed, we're keeping the pick.

All the more reason to finish the job and win the Cup in the next two years.

@TGfireandice

Deadline has passed, Devils have not notified NHL they are giving up 2012 1st rd pick. So, they're not giving it up this year.
Edited by thelastonealive

I wrote an article looking at whether the Devils would keep their pick, and I came away thinking they very well might keep it:

http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/5/21/should-the-devils-forfeit-the-kovalchuk-pick

The difference between 15 and 30 just isn't as great as you might think.

Good argument. I'd be curious looking at more than that one number for NHL success, but that all makes sense. In my mind I'm thinking of just the anecdotal evidence of 30 = Corrente 17 = Parise, and not considering the larger picture.

Heh, the signature is from during a particularly rough stretch for Kovy I think. I'm happy with the contract for now but I have decided to keep it since I still think the jury is out.

C'mon man...

Keeping that in your signature makes you Manta Jr...it's obvious the naysayers and Kovy Hate Club members were proved wrong...

The man is an absolute beast, and he will likely be in a Devils jersey for another 10 years or so....

• Like 1

I wrote an article looking at whether the Devils would keep their pick, and I came away thinking they very well might keep it:

http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/5/21/should-the-devils-forfeit-the-kovalchuk-pick

The difference between 15 and 30 just isn't as great as you might think.

I agree....

We have picked gems late/later than this and will hopefully find another Conte Special...also makes me believe they have a couple in mind going into it