Facebook founder to give 100 million dollars to Newark schools.

Neb00rs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Newark spends more money per student than anyone else in the country? Really? Find me something to back that up and I'll believe it

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/25/tarnished-newark-sees-glittering-gold-failures-reflection-facebook-schools-gift/

The money hasn't even arrived, but it's already creating a buzz in Newark, where three out of five third-graders can't read and write at their grade level. Barely half the students who begin high school manage to graduate, and most of them do so without passing the state's standard graduation exam.
Education advocates in New Jersey call for similar steps to be taken in Newark, where more money is spent per pupil than any other city in a state that ranks near the top in per-pupil funding.

So what you're saying is even Fox News can't prove that Newark spends more money on its students than any other district in the country.. Hell, the article makes no mention of the cost per student at all, and even cites credible sources saying that the money could go to things the school's need in order to turn things around.. Makes me support this even more

So what you're saying is even Fox News can't prove that Newark spends more money on its students than any other district in the country.. Hell, the article makes no mention of the cost per student at all, and even cites credible sources saying that the money could go to things the school's need in order to turn things around.. Makes me support this even more

You mean it's not enough for you that Newark spends more per pupil than any other NJ district, with unacceptable results for that money spent? Alrighty ...

I thought being arguably the worst spenders in NJ was bad, I guess it's not bad enough.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703860104575508472745513134.html

Newark spends about $22,000 a year on each of its 40,000 pupils, but only about half of its students graduate. Of those who do, only one-fifth go on to four-year colleges. More than 85% of the Newark students at community colleges need remedial help in math and English.

The donation has the potential to be matched by another $100 million that Mr. Booker has been working on raising from private foundations and others. The $200 million that could be raised would amount to more than 20% of Newark's budget of $940 million.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704062804575510321825702604.html

"Resources are always helpful, we obviously welcome it," said Shavar Jeffries, president of the advisory school board in Newark. However, "I don't think money is our primary problem," said Mr. Jeffries, a professor at Seton Hall Law School and a founder of a Newark charter school. The problem is "the civil-service bureaucracy that is not performance-based." Mr. Shavar favors an evaluation system based, in part, on teachers' ability to have students show progress on standardized tests.

Edited by Devils731

You mean it's not enough for you that Newark spends more per pupil than any other NJ district, with unacceptable results for that money spent? Alrighty ...

Ok but I would also argue that newark schools like Science deserve a lot of money because they take the brighter students out of bad classrooms and provide them with resources to succeed.. I think it's good for improving Newark as a whole.. So I'd have to see the breakdown of where all this money is going, because I find it hard to believe they are spending the most in the state and still have crappy buildings, supplies, textbooks, overcrowded classes, etc.. That doesn't add up

• 10 months later...

And of course the money is already being mismanaged with corruption:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/10/one-third_of_facebook_donation.html

Where does the article say that? I mean I see that some money was given to a foundation that used to be run by Cerf, but that foundation has done great work (and that was before they were given this money).. Money was given to consultants with ties to Booker? My god, so he gives money to people he's familiar with and knows the quality work they do, and thats a problem? Yeah he should have picked names out of a hat..

All I really get from this article is that the money was given to people Booker/Cerf are familiar with, and now other groups are whining that they don't get a say in the decision process or any money from this.. It's a little early to be declaring corruption, plus if it really was corruption then Zuckerberg just wouldn't send anymore money.. Like Booker or anyone else is going to blatantly do something to piss off and abuse the guy who has still promised to send $135 million more to the city

Edited by Colin226

You can take it either way, I can see people being suspicious especially when it comes to the way the City typically spends it's money or you can take it as the Ledger, who tends to be on the teachers union side of the argument, looking for problems with those that are publicly argued for blowing up the current patronage pit that is the Newark school system.

Where does the article say that? I mean I see that some money was given to a foundation that used to be run by Cerf, but that foundation has done great work (and that was before they were given this money).. Money was given to consultants with ties to Booker? My god, so he gives money to people he's familiar with and knows the quality work they do, and thats a problem? Yeah he should have picked names out of a hat..

All I really get from this article is that the money was given to people Booker/Cerf are familiar with, and now other groups are whining that they don't get a say in the decision process or any money from this.. It's a little early to be declaring corruption, plus if it really was corruption then Zuckerberg just wouldn't send anymore money.. Like Booker or anyone else is going to blatantly do something to piss off and abuse the guy who has still promised to send $135 million more to the city

Come on now, Colin. How much money is going to 'consulting'? The complaint isnt that he gave the job to friends, its the breakdown of the distribution of money so far. Why has the majority of $13 million gone to consulting? Is that much really needed for consulting? Booker and his crew dont already know what needs funding in the schools? No money has even gone to any public schools yet.

Zuckerberg probably doesnt really care. Hes gotten his good publicity, and the corruption is hidden under the guise of 'consulting'.

Lets just hope the money starts going to schools that need it now.

Come on now, Colin. How much money is going to 'consulting'? The complaint isnt that he gave the job to friends, its the breakdown of the distribution of money so far. Why has the majority of $13 million gone to consulting? Is that much really needed for consulting? Booker and his crew dont already know what needs funding in the schools? No money has even gone to any public schools yet.

Zuckerberg probably doesnt really care. Hes gotten his good publicity, and the corruption is hidden under the guise of 'consulting'.

Lets just hope the money starts going to schools that need it now.

Who are we to speculate what costs are necessary? But you don't get this kind of money and just start throwing it random places.. It's very common to bring in consultants to collaborate on things like this.. I don't see any evidence of actual corruption, just a bunch of groups complaining that they weren't given a say in where/who got the cash..

And somehow I don't think Zuckerberg would be cool with people just taking his money.. Come on, you think he's fine with just giving away millions of dollars to greedy people?

And no, most of the money hasn't gone to consultants:

While the foundation — the group created to distribute the money — spent $7.4 million between January and September of this year on school-based programs
Edited by Colin226

Colin, re-read my post please. My point is the amount of money that has gone to 'consulting'. Can anyone prove the amount has been unnecesary? No. Does it sound like a BS amount? Sure.

Why does it sounds like a BS amount? What background do you have to make that statement? My point is it's all completely speculation that this has been mishandled, and looks like people just trying to find more scandal in Newark.. There is simply no way Booker, a great mayor for Newark and the first honest one in years, would commit fraud right off the bat and jeopardize the $135 million he is still owed.. Not to mention the groups freaking out about this are ones who seem pretty butt hurt over not getting their piece of the pie or at least some influence in the city's decisions

Why does it sounds like a BS amount? What background do you have to make that statement? My point is it's all completely speculation that this has been mishandled, and looks like people just trying to find more scandal in Newark.. There is simply no way Booker, a great mayor for Newark and the first honest one in years, would commit fraud right off the bat and jeopardize the $135 million he is still owed.. Not to mention the groups freaking out about this are ones who seem pretty butt hurt over not getting their piece of the pie or at least some influence in the city's decisions

It is all speculation. I am not claiming that it is a fact that Cory Booker is indeed raping the city of Newark out of millions of dollars. I am just questioning how much money is needed for consulting. If you think he is a great mayor then you wont read anything into the amount of money being spent on it. If you think hes a NJ politician then there could very well be some corruption afoot given the amount of money at hand - maybe from Booker, or from others. The people complaining about it are not looking for anything, just seeing that a large portion of the money hasnt gone to schools.

It is all speculation. I am not claiming that it is a fact that Cory Booker is indeed raping the city of Newark out of millions of dollars. I am just questioning how much money is needed for consulting. If you think he is a great mayor then you wont read anything into the amount of money being spent on it. If you think hes a NJ politician then there could very well be some corruption afoot given the amount of money at hand - maybe from Booker, or from others. The people complaining about it are not looking for anything, just seeing that a large portion of the money hasnt gone to schools.

It will definitely be interesting to see how it plays out.. I'm curious as to when the next payment is due.. I guess we'll just have to wait and see