David Clarkson

Zubie#8

Yeah but there has also been a downward spiral with Marty since his injury. Maybe I was just lucky enough to have dishnetwork and not be able to watch the game last night?

it wasnt aired, but i made the trip to long island, first and last time i will ever go to that dunp, i bough front row tix behind the net, YOUR TEN FT FROM THE GLASS what a joke, and the ushers won let you go up against the glass for practice

We would definitely miss his character on the ice. Clarkson is team guy! Guys like Clarkson don't come around very often. you know the ones who stand up for comrades by knocking someone out if they have to and then has the ability to score as well... The Devils need him! There are about 5-6 guys like him in the whole league... Useless big guys that don't play to their size like Zubrus are a dime a dozen.....

You know....Clarkson was on the same team of guys who did NOTHING after Carter's hit on Salmela last year.

I need to vent a little here... :whistling:

As we get closer to the day where we need to be under the cap, all i can personally hope for is to see clarkson traded somewhere else. Im sure there will be a lot of people here who object to this but for the last three years i have watched this player and just sighed everytime he is on the ice. I took the trip to long island last night and could not take it anymore. clarkson has absolutely no hockey sense and last night he just plainly sucked. He slowed down josefson and zubs and just holds on to the puck for an incredible amount of time to just turn it over. Im just shocked that there is very little talk to trade clarkson instead of anyone else. Id rather have rolston langenbrunner salvs zubrus and even colin white over clarkson. Clarkson is the most inconsistent player on this team and he needs to be traded.

...yes clarkson brings some spunk and attitude to the ice but i think leblond and pelley can handle that aspect of the gm :cheers:

Overreacting much? This is the preseason dude. It sounds like you are about to end it all. Your post is filled with a lot more of doh1.gif than idea.gif

throw sestito or zharkov in there and theyll do ten times better than clarkson

And there you go proving my last point.

Overreacting much? This is the preseason dude. It sounds like you are about to end it all. Your post is filled with a lot more of doh1.gif than idea.gif

And there you go proving my last point.

Preseason? I guess you haven't watched Clarkson since the injury and in every playoffs. He has 2 career point in 20 playoff games. The only reason there is an increase in goals is because of his spike in PP ice time. At his price tag he is trash.

I wish everybody on this forum went to that game saturday cause if you didnt you have no idea how bad david clarkson was that night...he was the laughing stock of the entire crowd (7,000 people :giggle: ) even devils fans that were there were heckling him, he was complete garbage and thats why im reacting the way i am, that gm put me over the edge with this guy

he played so bad that i had to post the first thread i ever posted on this forum :cheers:

Edited by Zubie#8

I somewhat agree with Zubie.

Watching Clarkson play , it always seems like he is an awkward teenager that just had a big growth spurt and isn't used to his body. He appears to be just on the verge of either wiping out when skating or barely keeping control of the puck when stickhandling. 95% of the time when he has the puck in the offensive zone he skates down low , goes behind the net , if the wrap around isnt there , he dishes it to the point or tries to elude his defender (but either falls down or loses the handle on the puck).

I love how he is aggressive with throwing his body around , isn't afraid to stand in front of the net , will drop the gloves if needed , has decent hands and an average shot(nothing great). I am just worried that his play has been lackluster to say the least since his injury. I love the character he shows , but for now I just don't see how his contract is justified unless he turns it around here.

To me he just looks like a big klutz out there. Almost like how I would picture a real good athlete from another sport if he were to try hockey for the first time. He somewhat has skill enough to skate, stickhandle , shoot , but seems like he isn't nearly as 'polished' as a NHL player should be. Almost always on the brink of chaos.

Well it begins...

I don't particularly care for Clarkson, and I think we're going to see a lot of threads like this now that the man got paid. I think he got overpaid by about a million per year, and fans here will recognize that and make him the new NJDevs whipping boy.

With that said, the guy is big, can hit, and plays hard. He can be disruptive against certain lines and the Devils don't really have anyone else like that. He adds another dimension to the forward corps and I think regardless of his contract he is an asset to the team. I really hope he develops big time this year but I'm not holding my breath too much.

To say Sestito or Zharkov is better is just silly.

For me Clarkson is kinda an enigma. In some games, he makes a difference and has some decent chances. In others he is one of the worst players on the ice and takes dumb penalities and while he does fight, he tends to fight guys smaller than him and not really go after the heavyweights. While he does put up some nice goals here and there, it is against goalies who are honestly not that good and he is on the breakaway, which are rare. When he does shoot, he often ether goes for his famous wrap-around that does not work anymore or just skates around with the puck and shoot it directly at the goalie. If I had a choice between Clarkson and Zubrus, I would say we should keep Zubrus, as he is physical and can score more than Clarkson. Yeah Clarkson is a nice guy, but this is business and to think that Clarkson can score 20 or more goals a season is nonesense.

I also do not get why there is so much love for Zharkov. Yeah he scrapped a bit and has some decent hands, but he was not able to finish for his life. He still needs another year down in the minors and right now, I am on the fence if he will permanently make the NHL.

Clarkson has been improving every year he's been with us. Last year he was on pace for a 40 point season if he would have stayed healthy. Yes, his play dropped a bit after the injury, but that is pretty typical, especially after a player's first major injury of his career. If Clarkson can put up 40 points every season and nothing more, I would be a happy camper. I don't understand why the rest of you are expecting Elias numbers. Clarkson will never be a consistently deft player who can put up 50-60 points. He will be a gritty, dirty player who through stumbling, falling and flailing will produce 20-20-40 seasons, and for $2.66M, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Ok seriously though, we are first to cast the first stone when we don't see people scoring goals every night like Kovalchuk or Parise. Yes, it's preseason, but there's that fan instinct in all of us that don't ever want to see the Devils lose, even if it's just a stupid exhibition game. However, clarkson and even zuby are the guys playing with some actual heart out there, finishing checks, diggin for pucks in the corners, taking hits and makin hits when it counts. just cuz they don't have 30+ goal seasons doesn't mean they aren't productive for this team. Just have faith and like other people said, we have other people on the team that we would rather seen moved than a guy like Clarkson. Someone's gotta kick some ass while PL3 is doing 5 minutes in the box, ya know?

Ok seriously though, we are first to cast the first stone when we don't see people scoring goals every night like Kovalchuk or Parise. Yes, it's preseason, but there's that fan instinct in all of us that don't ever want to see the Devils lose, even if it's just a stupid exhibition game. However, clarkson and even zuby are the guys playing with some actual heart out there, finishing checks, diggin for pucks in the corners, taking hits and makin hits when it counts. just cuz they don't have 30+ goal seasons doesn't mean they aren't productive for this team. Just have faith and like other people said, we have other people on the team that we would rather seen moved than a guy like Clarkson. Someone's gotta kick some ass while PL3 is doing 5 minutes in the box, ya know?

It's true, he does all of those things and I appreciate that. My issue with Clarkson though is that at the same time he is a horrible skater, stickhandler, and decision maker with the puck. If he improved those things, I wouldn't have such a problem with only getting around 30 points.

psst. don't read this. i bet you did. if you did, then you have to reply. and then i win. haha

...damn you, sir, damn you. :giggle:

I think age plays a big role here...clarkson's 26 vs zubrus' 32.

We're stuck with zubrus for another three years to boot at a pretty bad (if not awful) contract.

Clarkson brings energy to the third line. He's not a scorer (obviously). He has his 'wow, holy sht where did that come from' moments, but overall if he goes out, throws a couple hits and creates some energy I'm happy.

I don't want to compare him a glorified 4th liner (because he isn't), but I see him as a few steps above one. Hits, fights, but can actually skate and score...and at a reasonable salary [see: Milan Lucic].

...damn you, sir, damn you. :giggle:

I think age plays a big role here...clarkson's 26 vs zubrus' 32.

We're stuck with zubrus for another three years to boot at a pretty bad (if not awful) contract.

Clarkson brings energy to the third line. He's not a scorer (obviously). He has his 'wow, holy sht where did that come from' moments, but overall if he goes out, throws a couple hits and creates some energy I'm happy.

I don't want to compare him a glorified 4th liner (because he isn't), but I see him as a few steps above one. Hits, fights, but can actually skate and score...and at a reasonable salary [see: Milan Lucic].

If you count energy as taking dumb retalitory penalties and going after guys who are smaller than him, then you hit the nail right on the head.

i know theres people who agree with me on this but im gona be by myself on this one

I guess nobody watched the gm saturday since it wasnt on tv, or nobody went to it, if you were there you would of laughed at clarkson, he was pitiful, one play he was by himself in the slot and fanned twice then dropped his stick, tripped on the stick and went to the bench, the stick wasnt even broken thats the funny part i sat right behind the net and the stick was not broken, his passes were horrible, he held onto the puck forever and couldnt make anything out of it and his shots were pathetic....HE HAS NO SENSE out on the ice, he has those great games a couple times a year which makes you think we need to seal this guy for life, ive seen no improvement since hes been here

and yes zubrus is extremely overpaid but he brings a dynamic to the third or second line, hes a best on the boards and is a playmaker, if we trade clarkson what would we miss? his character on the ice? whatever

yes he improved over the last three years but i am still not pleased with him, and since his injury i have seen a downward spiral, and last nights game just pissed me off, he has no clue out there :noclue:

just sayin

If you count energy as taking dumb retalitory penalties and going after guys who are smaller than him, then you hit the nail right on the head.

Ok, i will agree the penalty during the preseason game vs the rangers w/ avery was retarded, but i'm sure he got a lot of backlash from it after the game and we can hope that Maclean addressed the issue accordingly. But yes, when Avery goes after Kovalchuk, i expect Clarkson to kick the living sh!t outta him and not be an instigator and cost us a penalty.