GDT New Jersey Devils at Flyers

ZeroGravityFat

Here's the NHL situation room blog about the Briere Shootout "Goal" - it's nonsense but whatever...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=3790

bad call.. first of all, its clear briere stopped. also, as he was dribbling the puck, the puck was moving backward while he was stopped. so you gotta look at it like no way that should have been the call. also, it cant be that the puck has to keep moving forward because players move the puck back and forth all the time.

i GOTTA see a league explanation for this one.. it cant be right

They need to clarify that rule for shootouts/penalty shots. We are going to see more players try that move now that they just gave it the greenlight. This will mean more variations/subtle differences to Briere's move that will need to be scrutinized each time. We will see a widening grey area if they don't tighten that rule wording up.

Where the Clarkson haters at?

Checking In. He's been great. His skating is still abominable but he's been able to contribute regardless. I think he'll come back down to earth a little but he could still be a quality player. It'll take an extended period of bad play before he becomes my whipping boy again.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Rule 24 - The Penalty Shot

The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the goal post or crossbar, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line or comes to a complete stop, the shot shall be considered complete.

While I don't think there is much of a debate on if Briere stopped or not, it doesn't really seem like it matters. Maybe it should, and if it should then they should put something in the rules about it.

Really the only factor here is if the puck was kept in motion. It's as close as it gets and considering the league has given a lot of flexibility to other shots I can't say I'm surprised they counted this. In the spirit of things this probably shouldn't be a goal, by the book and looking at precedent it was probably the right call.

Edited by squishyx

I was at the game tonight and WOW you think the Devils cheat their attendance? The building was 85% full and they announced a sellout.. Not to mention that their fans were extremely docile and the worst I heard all night was some booing after I had walked past some people.. There were a ton of Devils fans by me and we were slapping high 5's and cheering all night.. It was great!!!

Anyway, definitely liked the effort tonight.. If this team can battle like this every night then we have a playoff team for sure.. I was at the Toronto game and it was a whole different team out there.. These guys gave it 110% and really mixed it up out there.. AWESOME!!

11 points on the season...not too bad for a team that has two regulation wins in 11 games. I'll gladly take them.

All things considered, the Devils could be worse than 5-5-1.

And with the greatest respect for one Martin Brodeur, if he doesn't get it going in his next 3-4 starts, then the Devils might as well stick with Hedberg for the forseeable future.

Kovy was actually a +2 last night...do you believe in miracles? YES!

EDIT: Just checked out the schedule and saw that, from Nov 12 to Dec 17, 13 of the 18 games the Devils play in that stretch will be on the road. Ouch.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

And with the greatest respect for one Martin Brodeur, if he doesn't get it going in his next 3-4 starts, then the Devils might as well stick with Hedberg for the forseeable future.

Marty has only played a little over 2 games so far, that's not a lot of sample size.

I was at the game tonight and WOW you think the Devils cheat their attendance? The building was 85% full and they announced a sellout.. Not to mention that their fans were extremely docile and the worst I heard all night was some booing after I had walked past some people.. There were a ton of Devils fans by me and we were slapping high 5's and cheering all night.. It was great!!!

lol I thought Snider used to be ridiculously honest about the attendance - to the point where they would admit to being 50 or 75 short of a sellout. Guess the fans don't consider us much of a rival anymore :P

Briere STOPPED because moose came out on him and caught him going left,he got stoned! I've never seen a shooter SPRAY SO MUCH ICE ON A STOP during a shootout what is the INTENT of the F'n rule then???!!!.

and I also think the fayne hooking was a BS call, it had nothing to do with the player going down nor missing

btw even if marty was healthy moose probably gets the call against philly hes the better butterfly'r

What a great game played by these guys. They are a lil intimidated by the flyers skill in general and they threw it their face tonight. Clarkson played great, and clutch imo. As did Salvador and Volchenkov. Hopefully, they'll bring this attitude against the Thrash. I didn't tape the game, shame on me.