The league is a joke if Giroux is not suspended

'7'

I don't necessarily like this headshot rule because far too often guys get suspended because of accidental contact with the head

This however was clear as day.

Zubrus got rid of the puck well before the hit

Giroux targeted his head CLEARLY...he could've rubbed him out with a shoulder, or not even hit him at all. Instead out of frustration (something that might've happened 15-20 seconds before, frankly I'm not sure) he took it out on Zubrus by socking him in the head with a clear intent to injure

This is a TEXTBOOK suspension. Late, lost his cool, targeted the head, and zubrus was down injured for at least 45 seconds or so

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

I don't necessarily like this headshot rule because far too often guys get suspended because of accidental contact with the head

Giroux targeted his head CLEARLY...he could've rubbed him out with a shoulder, or not even hit him at all. Instead out of frustration (something that might've happened 15-20 seconds before, frankly I'm not sure) he took it out on Zubrus by socking him in the head with a clear intent to injure

This is a TEXTBOOK suspension. Late, lost his cool, targeted the head, and zubrus was down injured for at least 45 seconds or so

I am so happy that NJ won I don't have it in me to complain right now. At this 3-1 point lets have faith that Giroux's presence is irrelevant anyway. This team will get it done if "the best player in the world" is on the ice for game 5 or not. This doesn't mean I don't agree with you though.

Edited by NJDevils1214

Obviously the thing Shanny wanted to do something about. The Flyers are playing like crap and their only desperate move is to try and take out one of our guys with an injury. Just the Flyers being their typical scumbag selves

At the same time Torres gets 25 games. He is now appealing the length of the suspension. NHL looks really sh*tty in that case if Giroux walks away with nothing.

Then again, Shea Weber smashed a dudes head into the glass WWE style and got nothing.

Personally, I don't want him suspended. I wouldn't want to have the Flyers to have anything to rally behind.

Edited by mmajeski06

Rallying around Giroux not being there b/c he attempted to hurt another player and got suspended? Yeah, I'll risk that.

If the flyers can't rally around getting completely outplayed, Giroux's absence won't mean a thing. If perhaps he was injured himself, maybe, but if he misses time due to suspension due to a dumb-ass move, no way a team gets too much motivation for that. Alternatively, if he gets suspended, as a teammate I'd be pissed at him for losing his cool during a critical point of the season.

Giroux is a star player, he elbowed Zubrus, a solid NHLer but nothing more than that. Zubrus was able to return to the game and score an empty net goal. The fact that Zubrus was hunched over allows Giroux to have plausible deniability about hunting the head over the shoulder/body.

I'd be very surprised if he gets suspended, though I think he deserves a game. Late hits to head is what supposedly the league is trying to stop and that's clearly what that was.

From TG's latest:

Devils coach Pete DeBoer believes it is a hit the NHL’s Department of Player Safety need to look at. (The review process has already begun.)

“For me, it looks like textbook like the kind of hits we’re trying to get out of the game,” DeBoer said. “I understand (commissioner) Gary Bettman and (deputy commissioner) Bill Daly were here tonight. I’m sure they’ll look at that.”

That Zubrus came back and played in the game and Giroux’s lack of a track record for supplemental discipline will no doubt play into whatever decision NHL senior VP Brendan Shanahan makes.
Edited by ben00rs

The only thing I 'fear' about Giroux getting suspended is they'll put that pos Rinaldo in the lineup and he'll REALLY be out to injure players.

But he won't be suspended, the league won't risk deciding a series in a potential elimination game for the Flyers, especially with Giroux being a first-time offender as far as I know.

$2,500 fine, which is the star player standard.

Plus, Shanahan will give the cop-out excuse of "the player returned to the game, and suffered no injury" language.

I'd bet a year's salary on no suspension.

I agree here, I would be really surprised to see him suspended. I do think it should have been a 5 minute major but I don't even think this gets a game suspension in the regular season let alone the playoffs.

I find it hilarious that the NHL went so far as to put in a 2 minute minor for "Illegal Check to the Head" but didn't think a 5 minute one should be added as well. Still if the refs wanted they could have given him a 5 minute interference, elbowing or charging major.

I don't know if this is a plausible scenario, but I could see Shanny hold off a decision for a couple days. Basically wait to see if the Phailures are eliminated on Tuesday. If they are then I bet Giroux gets suspended starting the beginning of next season. If they aren't eliminated on Tuesday then Shanny would have a real problem since Giroux really needs to be suspended. I suspect that the NHL will give Giroux preferential treatment here, but if they can have their cake and eat it too by letting Giroux finish the series and then suspend him that is what I think they will do.

Otoh, I don't know if there is any precedent for waiting extra time to decide. Is there?

I don't necessarily like this headshot rule because far too often guys get suspended because of accidental contact with the head. This however was clear as day.

Heh. Got a chuckle out of this thread title. 7 ROUTINELY calls the league a joke, and then says "the league is a joke IF...".

In any case, talking with fans of other teams or reading the TSN comments, by far most agree that this is suspension worthy.

Personally I couldn't care less if Giroux is suspended or not. I think he deserves a couple of games but the Devils will beat them anyway. Also, I wouldn't want anybody on the Devs feel it will be easier in game 5 if Giroux is out, just like the Flyers might have thought when Ilya missed the game. Give us their best possible lineup and beat their butts anyways. :horse: