RUMOR: Devils interested in Dany Heatley?

puckrock

Tallinder for Heatley would be a fair swap and I wouldn't mind seeing it happen. Urbom should not be included in that deal. Of course Minny is trying to get us back after we sent them the budding start of Napalm, 

What about Setogucci?

And I totally believe a deal with Tallinder is something we will see by Saturday's game.

We dont score enough goal... like him or not heatley is a sniper

I don't think he brings enough goals and I think he's not a good fit in our locker room. Not to mention I think he's getting worse with each passing year.

His last three season's point totals: 82, 64, 53 <- That looks like a decline to me and I wouldn't be surprised to see him only be a 40-50 point guy going forward. Not worth $5M in real money or the $7.5M cap hit.

Tallinder for Heatley would be a fair swap and I wouldn't mind seeing it happen. Urbom should not be included in that deal. Of course Minny is trying to get us back after we sent them the budding start of Napalm, 

What about Setogucci?

And I totally believe a deal with Tallinder is something we will see by Saturday's game.

I'd do a straight swap, maybe and even then it's still borderline not worth it. His cap hit is HUGE. Why are we going to waste our off-season with the most cap space of any team when each team gets a free buyout? We could just buy a better player for cheaper in UFA.

I haven't paid much attention to Heatley or his recent career to know whether our forechecking system would work to utilize him well or not but at the same time on paper he is a big skilled forward with a great shot and good passing ability so if he could be persuaded to buy into the system and give it his all on the forecheck and be less of a liability defensively maybe it could work.

The preceding run-on sentence was brought to you by the William Faulkner School of English Writing.

Don't want Heatley, mainly because I never liked him.  When you offset the savings by including Tallinder in the deal, we will be adding approximately $4 million to our cap, which isn't an issue right now and shouldn't be next year as well.  I wouldn't include Urbom, Gelinas, Merrill or anything higher than a 4th in the deal because, like many have said, he's a rapidly declining star.  However, I wouldn't put it past Lou to make this deal.

Not sure why this would be so far-fetched? Heatley recently played on a line with Rupp for cryin' out loud.  It wouldn't cost THAT much given the proposal. Is the cap hit a lot? Sure. I think we'd be better off going after a Stafford, Chris Stewart, Tomas Fleischmann or a real bargain piece that really wouldn't cost us anything like a Clarke MacArthur. (Two 20 + goal seasons he'd be a low risk/high reward for NJ. Seems like Clarke Mac wouldn't cost more then a prospect and a 2nd round/3rd round pick)

Zidlicky as an offensive d-man, brings something to the table no one else does. Heatley doesn't.

I hate Heatley, but we have maybe 5 top 6 forwards, and Heatley can still be good on the second line.

I hate Heatley, but we have maybe 5 top 6 forwards, and Heatley can still be good on the second line.

My worry is that by next year he's useless though. his point totals have decline DRASTICALLY in the past two years from ppg pace to 53 points over all of last season. What do we do if we have a $7.5M cap hit heatley who can't even put up 20 goals next year? What then? We'd be screwed with no way to dump him just like with Rolston.

Edited by ATLL765

My worry is that by next year he's useless though. his point totals have decline DRASTICALLY in the past two years from ppg pace to 53 points over all of last season. What do we do if we have a $7.5M cap hit heatley who can't even put up 20 goals next year? What then? We'd be screwed with no way to dump him just like with Rolston.

Not that it matters since the trade isn't happening, but the term of the deal is shorter than Rolston's, and we have a ton more cap flexibility now even with a couple guys going UFA next year.

I'd give them Tallinder plus Teds and maybe a 3rd or 4th. The 1st round pick is right out.

I don't see how Tally/Teddy/3rd doesn't get it done to be honest. That seems more then fair for such a high-rish choice in Heater

EDIT: Also: http://www.sportswith3.com/apps/blog/show/24427486-dany-heatley-to-devils-a-possibility-#.UTqDkK3uo_8.twitter

Edited by TheMazz

I thought Єklund (2.3% accurate) fairy tales were banned a few years ago.

It's not his fairy tale. He didn't originally start the rumor but he did report it along with a few others. None of the big guns yet so it's speculation right now. Although it's picked up MORE traction from yesterday since details....hardcore details of what this proposed deal would most likely include

Edited by TheMazz