Time to wave the white flag?

snartly

Can we stop with the stupid "practice the shootout"?

How about instead of worrying about scoring in the stupidest thing along side the trapezoid, they practice scoring during the first 65 minutes so it doesn't get to the SO?

Our offense is abysmal, especially for the position we currently hold. Yes lately they've been playing a much more motivated game of hockey, but they need to capitalize on their chances. Puck luck or not, this is their adversity and they need to overcome it fast without using the ZP excuse

Edited by jagknife

Not to break up the conversation but I'm disappointed in the team like everyone else. Worst thing about it is they do look like they're trying, and trying hard, but the scoring talent just isn't there. As long as they keep at it I'll keeep watching them lose, what else can you do?

I do think Marty should retire though (first time I've ever said that or felt that), and so should Moose, and we should grab someone in the offseason like Miller (maybe?) and let the kids back him up until they are ready. We need some wholesale changes, and there's no time like the present.

Marty is holding the keys on that one.  For one, though he's clearly not what he was (especially from a puck-stopping standpoint), and has even had some borderline embarassing stretches (like when he had an .894 save% though December 31 last season), he has yet to turn in an abysmal season.  And for another, this is one of those tricky situations where you have a legend, one of the very best ever to play his position, and you are trying to do right by him and the franchise...it's a very delicate balancing act, and as we saw across the river, one that can be almost disastrous (look at Mark Messier with the Rangers...the Rangers simply didn't know how to tell him to am-scray).  Marty's probably going to finish with at least respectable numbers this season (especially from a GAA standpoint, thanks to the Devils keeping shot totals down), so I feel pretty confident that he's going to want to play next season.  And I think, since the Devils signed him to two years, that they won't dream of trying to push Marty out the door. 

What could get potentially ugly is if Marty plays about how he's played since 2010 next season, stays healthy, and decides that he has another season in him.  I think the Devils almost have to say "Thanks for everything Marty, truly and deepfully, but no."  Like I said, these situations can get so delicate...you hope the player knows he can take his franchise off the griddle, but not all legends are able to do that gracefully. 

I thought we would have went after Jonathan Bernier... Maybe in the offseason.. I am all for Marty playing next year with a new goalie behind him..

Quick has an .898 save% (he's 13-11-3) this season, Bernier is at .922 (9-2-1)...LA might not be so quick to give him up...at least not without jacking up the price tag significantly.

I thought we would have went after Jonathan Bernier... Maybe in the offseason.. I am all for Marty playing next year with a new goalie behind him..

Bernier has pretty much made it clear he wants a starter position. He's going to go where he can be a number one next season.

Quick has an .898 save% (he's 13-11-3) this season, Bernier is at .922 (9-2-1)...LA might not be so quick to give him up...at least not without jacking up the price tag significantly.

Last I heard, and of course take with a grain if salt, was they wanted a first and a top prospect or NHL ready, young player.

Even if he hits RFA, he's going to cost someone a good price plus picks.

I agree he'd be a solid pickup though, but the price will probably scare us.

As for Quick, from the games I've seen (about half he's started, if not more), I think It was a case of Stanley Cup hangover plus getting reacclimated to playing without pain from his surgery and also inconsistency on defense. He has settled down as of late.

Last I heard, and of course take with a grain if salt, was they wanted a first and a top prospect or NHL ready, young player.

Even if he hits RFA, he's going to cost someone a good price plus picks.

I agree he'd be a solid pickup though, but the price will probably scare us.

As for Quick, from the games I've seen (about half he's started, if not more), I think It was a case of Stanley Cup hangover plus getting reacclimated to playing without pain from his surgery and also inconsistency on defense. He has settled down as of late.

And with a 10-year deal, LA is pretty much tied to Quick...so even if Bernier outplays him, Quick would be hard to move.  He had a terrible March BTW...an .881 save% in 13 GP, which usually gets you benched for a bit...unless on you're on a 10-year deal. 

I think they signed both Marty and Moose for 2 years thinking they would give them one more season, and that this one simply wouldn't get played. But you are 100% right, Marty has to decide to step aside on his own, you can't push him out after what he has meant to the franchise. But how nice would it be to see a young gun whippersnapper of only 32 or 33 in the pipes? :)

And with a 10-year deal, LA is pretty much tied to Quick...so even if Bernier outplays him, Quick would be hard to move. He had a terrible March BTW...an .881 save% in 13 GP, which usually gets you benched for a bit...unless on you're on a 10-year deal.

Could it be that he also brings other intangibles to the table? He can handle the puck better than average (minus the ZP blunder in the finals), and from what I know, he's a good leader.

I'd take either one but hard to imagine it ever happening lol

Marty has zero lateral movement anymore. This was evident last year with his increased flopping. It's what led to the second Sabres goal last night. No lateral movement.

That save attempt i have seen my son do 1000 times in NHL '13, but I was stunned to see it in a game. I called my wife into the room to watch the replay.

Could it be that he also brings other intangibles to the table? He can handle the puck better than average (minus the ZP blunder in the finals), and from what I know, he's a good leader.

I'd take either one but hard to imagine it ever happening lol

I know there's more to goaltending than just stopping the puck, I'm just saying that .881 over a month and .898 over a full season in today's NHL is pretty bad...if he has another season like that next year, he's going to start to get criticized...LA didn't sign him up long-term to see him put up roughly .900 save%s, or rank 40th in the save% category. 

I know there's more to goaltending than just stopping the puck, I'm just saying that .881 over a month and .898 over a full season in today's NHL is pretty bad...if he has another season like that next year, he's going to start to get criticized...LA didn't sign him up long-term to see him put up roughly .900 save%s, or rank 40th in the save% category.

Oh I wasn't questioning you at all, I was really asking if you think that could be a reason he keeps getting the nod over Bernier. I know Bernier was out for a week or two due to his grandmother passing away and he just wasn't there mentally because of it.

Quick needs to level his game back out because Conn Smythe or not, he's not going to be absolved of a poor save %, especially in the LA market

Get of this "trade for a goalie" thing. We can't score as is. You think that will get better losing an asset? No

I think the Devils are hoping the goalie(s) of the future are coming from within anyway.  I agree in that I think they want to hang onto their assets.

Oh I wasn't questioning you at all, I was really asking if you think that could be a reason he keeps getting the nod over Bernier. I know Bernier was out for a week or two due to his grandmother passing away and he just wasn't there mentally because of it.

Quick needs to level his game back out because Conn Smythe or not, he's not going to be absolved of a poor save %, especially in the LA market

I'd say 10 years is the biggest reason...would be a disaster to bury a guy on the first year of a mega-deal...I'm sure they don't want to kill his confidence, especially when he showed he can flourish in the playoffs.  They're hoping this is just a half-season little speedbump that will soon be forgotten. 

Colorado... Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

someone actually said this... blahhhhhh ..now thats priceless

The organization will never push him out... I think that is understood.. I think Bernier is 24... I want someone who we can have for a long time... But that person has some serious shoes to fill... No pressure!!

Tri always makes a great point in regards to the heir to the Brodeur throne: as long as he plays better than or equal to Marty of the twilight years, he'll be fine.

What I don't want to see is a goalie tandem in a few years of keepers like Dan Ellis and Chris Mason (just an example) to hold us over while we wait on Kinkaid/Wedgewood.

Colorado... Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime? - Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Yeah...guy calling himself MacDevil posted that back in 2005 (actually he started a thread with that question)...his reasoning was that Clemmensen had gotten a full AHL season of shootout play under his belt, and that since Marty hadn't, Marty apparently wasn't capable of playing in a shootout.  He wasn't joking btw...he was quite deadly serious.  He also posted how Lou should be fired and many other gems...it was only a matter of time before he was chased off the board.  He was pretty much history by 2006.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It's hard to get better at a skills competition. Either the players have the skill to be successful at it or they don't. I don't think there is a lot to be taught there by the coaches, other than the weaknesses of the goalie you are facing, or tendencies of the shooters, which is usually done through film sessions.

Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime? - Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

You sure are a cocky newbie. :rolleyes:

• Like 1