2013-14 Albany Devils and ECHL Thread

thefiestygoat

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Urbom is terrible, can't make a 20 foot pass to save his life. To bad Severson can't play for Albany, a top 4 of Severson, Gelinas, Larsson and Merrill would be pretty damn filthy.

Severson can play for Albany next week if they sign him to an ATO and they stay in it that long, I think.

I watched most of this game although I was doing it at the same time as the NHL game - I'll have observations later.

Edited by Triumph

AHL
Albany defeated St. John's 4-2 to even the series at 1. Scoring for the Devils was Boucher, Matteau (PP, K. Zajac, Tedenby), Tedenby (PP, K. Zajac), and Timmins (PP, Sislo). Kinkaid stopped 30 of 32 shots to earn 1st star. Albany outshot St. John's 34-32 for the game, however they had outshot them 29-12 thru the first 2 periods before being outshot 20-5 in the 3rd. Kinkaid really stepped up and kept his cool as a few scrums broke out around his crease. Albany went 3/9 on the PP as St. John's played an undisciplined game. The Devils were 3/4 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet.

Lines and Pairings (via @Bill_Cain_):
Boucher-Timmins-Pesonen
Matteau-K. Zajac-Tedenby
Whitney-Sestito-Sislo
McKelvie-Peley-D. Zajac

Helgeson-McPherson
Urbom-Merrill
Gelinas-Larsson

Attendance
Game 1: 6,572 (Source)
Game 2: 8,026 - Largest playoff crowd at TUC (Source)

ECHL Eastern Conference Quarterfinals
#4 Orlando defeated #5 Cincinnati 3-2 (OT) (Trail Series 3-2)
Maxime Clermont G: DNP (Did not dress)
Playoffs: 3 GP 1-2, 2.03 GAA, .926 SV%, 1 SO

-- Christopher Gibson who was Orlando's usual starter had just been returned from the AHL.

Kelley Zajac quietly has put up 44 points in his last 59 games, watch he doesn't break camp with NJ next year. He plays well in all situations and is great on faceoffs.

I really hope they sign him to a NHL deal and he makes the team next year. He's succeeded at everything they've thrown at him this year and deserves a shot.

K. Zajac has had a nice year but it screams S% fluke - I'd be surprised to see him put up those numbers next year.  Not sure there'll be room for him on the reserve list.

Was real impressed again with Merrill from what I saw, he just controls the game with his puck handling.  Urbom is #6 and Merrill is #8 but it didn't take long for me to be able to tell them apart without looking closely.

I was surprised that Boucher wasn't on the 5 on 3 PPs - seemed like they went with Timmins-Sislo-Whitney-Gelinas-Merrill.  I imagine they needed a center to take the draw but is Timmins really the best option there?  

K. Zajac has had a nice year but it screams S% fluke - I'd be surprised to see him put up those numbers next year.  Not sure there'll be room for him on the reserve list.

He seems like a guy that can contribute defensively and eat some PK time though.

Could the Devils just not extend a qualifying offer to a RFA to clear a spot on the reserve list? Some of these guys like Urbom, Boychuk, Young, and Tedenby seem likely to be gone. An UFA like Bernier could be gone as well to create some room. I mean the Devils found a way to add Darcy for some reason last year, I'm sure they can find a way to get Kelly whose actually produced a spot.

Kinkaid has looked really good in the highlights that I've seen.  He saved one on a 5 on 3 setup towards the backdoor.  He's looked really good and I'd like to see him get a look in the big leagues.  Boucher could get a shot sooner rather than later.  He has all the tools it seems. 

Was at the game and Kinkaid was a beast all night. He made a ton of great saves - his glove was on fire. St. John's really tried playing up their physical game and ran at Kinkaid all night. It was pathetic how the officials would just let them do it too. Granted, they probably took about 45 slashing penalties and tried their hardest to take out our guys (Larsson especially) but it was a really fun game to watch.

Poor Teds was sad to watch. He looked good and had a goal and all but just watching him, you know it's over.

He seems like a guy that can contribute defensively and eat some PK time though.

Could the Devils just not extend a qualifying offer to a RFA to clear a spot on the reserve list? Some of these guys like Urbom, Boychuk, Young, and Tedenby seem likely to be gone. An UFA like Bernier could be gone as well to create some room. I mean the Devils found a way to add Darcy for some reason last year, I'm sure they can find a way to get Kelly whose actually produced a spot.

Oh, I'm sure, but remember they've got a bunch of guys coming in.  If they give contracts to Johnson, Gedig, Thomson, Bell - well you've just filled 4 spots there.  Severson's on the reserve list next year too.  Anyway, it just wouldn't surprise me at all if K. Zajac put up 35 points per 80 games next year - Albany really kinda shot the lights out this year, I doubt they repeat that.

Oh, I'm sure, but remember they've got a bunch of guys coming in.  If they give contracts to Johnson, Gedig, Thomson, Bell - well you've just filled 4 spots there.  Severson's on the reserve list next year too.  Anyway, it just wouldn't surprise me at all if K. Zajac put up 35 points per 80 games next year - Albany really kinda shot the lights out this year, I doubt they repeat that.

I'm going a little less on stats with this one, I really like him based on the eye test. He is just a crafty center, not sure DeBoer will like that o his 4th lie but he should be kept in the organization at the very least.

The Albany Devils PBP guy has to have the worst announcing voice I have ever heard. It's so painfully unnatural and fake. Just awful.

Nice to see Albany win in front of a large crowd. Really hoping for a nice playoff run.

I think he's not too bad. He's an enthusiastic homer. 

The Albany Devils PBP guy has to have the worst announcing voice I have ever heard. It's so painfully unnatural and fake. Just awful.

Nice to see Albany win in front of a large crowd. Really hoping for a nice playoff run.

This, a million times this!!!!!

Hate the guys voice.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

It's the minors so I just find him kinda funny. 

I did at first, my initial thought was "haha this guy is has such a steretypical announcer voice" like the voiceover in a cheesey hollywood sports film. But after five minutes you end up wanting to poke yourself in the eye rather than listen any more.

AHL Playoffs
Albany was shutout 1-0 by St. John's and trails the best of 5 series 2-1. Kinkaid stopped 34 of 35 shots and has a .949 SV% in the series. Albany was outshot 35-24 for the game, including 30-14 in the first 2 periods. Albany went 0/4 on the PP but an impressive 6/6 on the PK. Albany got dominated all night at even strength and rarely had any sustained pressure in St. John's end. Here is the gamesheet.

Lines and Pairings:
Pesonen-Timmins-Boucher
Matteau-K. Zajac-Tedenby
Whitney-Sestito-Sislo
McKelvie-Pelley-D. Zajac

Helgeson-McPherson
Gelinas-Larsson
Urbom-Merrill

ECHL Eastern Conference Quarterfinals (4/29)
#4 Orlando lost #5 Cincinnati 2-1 (Lose Series 4-2)
Maxime Clermont G: DNP (Did not dress)
Playoffs: 3 GP 1-2, 2.03 GAA, .926 SV%, 1 SO