Henrik Tallinder Lashes Out at DeBoer

grcenter47

Daneyko at that point was 38-39 and he probably knew it was his last year. His skills had deteriorated...he knew he had no leg to stand on when making a case for himself anymore. The guy was skating in quicksand.

Tallinder has a legit gripe, he's better than Salvador but because of that stinkin C they kept him him the lineup. He's better than Volchenkov, but maybe the coaching staff preferred his hart hitting/shot blocking, thinking it was a better fit for the D

Tallinder has a legit gripe, he's better than Salvador but because of that stinkin C they kept him him the lineup. He's better than Volchenkov, but maybe the coaching staff preferred his hart hitting/shot blocking, thinking it was a better fit for the D

I think it's more than the C. IMO Sal was better than Volch. I also feel strongly that one of them should have been benched every game. Instead, they both played if they were healthy. It seems like the Devils ALWAYS want as much physical d as they can get. Why else would they every bench Fayne, who was arguably their best dman? In a perfect world, our personnel would match up with our approach, but that's not the case, and I'd feel much better if Lou/DeBo would play the most talented 6 dmen rather than rolling out a couple of hitters with lead skates.

As for Tallinder, I think he was victimized by this mindset, but he also wasn't good enough to complain. Andy Greene could have been benched for the same reason. Instead, he emerged as the best blueliner on the team. Maybe Tallinder preferred JL's approach to defense, but if he had played better for Debo, he would have played more.

Edited by mouse

Out of Sal, Volch, Tally - none of them actually RESPONDED on ice.  None.  Tallinder was the only guy I saw who made adjustments - but then he would choke.  Personally I like to see the effort.  I have no idea what DeBoer sees.  Pat Burns, I felt, saw what I saw -- hence Sean Brown playing as a number one for a brief time there :giggle:  Every move Burns made made sense to me.  DeBoer - the way he sets the D -- I have no idea what he wants.  The guys he has out there are not playign their roles well.  Volchenkov sucks and gets made and takes stupid penalties -- STUPID ones - not Oh it's just the new NHL penalties.  Sal is dead wood -- he shoudl be a second liner in teh best of times.  I have NO CLUE as the DeBoers vision for the D and the very worst part is that the defence is coming from somewhere.  I'm not seeing it though - I'm seeing one huge suckfest.  I'm sorry that's the way I see it -- but it is.  I've never seen it that way before but the last few seasons -- suckfest no matter what the stats may say.

volchenkov got healthy scratched last year too and was not pleased about it. i assure you - the dmen on the team were not happy with the 8 dman setup. even the guys that never got scratched. they dealt with it, but this had the same feel to guys on the team as three years ago when lou was up against it with the cap and couldn't do the right thing with his lineup.

and to triumphs point on stevens - it's deboer making these calls.

DeBoer may be making the calls on d-men but he was pretty much handicapped to an extent.  He didn't have to play Harrold as much as he did or bench Fayne as much as he did but other than that what was he supposed to do with five guys making $3 million plus on the payroll, the big prospect in Larsson and Fayne, who was on the team's #1 pairing two years ago?  

Tallinder was on the outside looking in for a reason, he wasn't great at all other than the 40-game stretch under Lemaire where just about everyone was great.  He was a bit star-crossed too with injuries at inopportune times but it seemed like every time he was in the lineup the team struggled, like the first halves of '10-11 and '11-12 or last year.

And yeah I did read that 'couple of guys on the coaching staff' as taking a shot at Stevens too.  Tallinder's got a mellow temperment, probably Stevens was too hyperintense for him.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Out of Sal, Volch, Tally - none of them actually RESPONDED on ice.  None.  Tallinder was the only guy I saw who made adjustments - but then he would choke.  Personally I like to see the effort.  I have no idea what DeBoer sees.  Pat Burns, I felt, saw what I saw -- hence Sean Brown playing as a number one for a brief time there :giggle:  Every move Burns made made sense to me.  DeBoer - the way he sets the D -- I have no idea what he wants.  The guys he has out there are not playign their roles well.  Volchenkov sucks and gets made and takes stupid penalties -- STUPID ones - not Oh it's just the new NHL penalties.  Sal is dead wood -- he shoudl be a second liner in teh best of times.  I have NO CLUE as the DeBoers vision for the D and the very worst part is that the defence is coming from somewhere.  I'm not seeing it though - I'm seeing one huge suckfest.  I'm sorry that's the way I see it -- but it is.  I've never seen it that way before but the last few seasons -- suckfest no matter what the stats may say.

Not to ruin a PK rant but Sean Brown wasn't treated like a #1 defenseman except for a month under Larry while he was having his anxiety attacks  :P  Kidding aside that's how bad the first half was when Brown was getting treated like a #1.

Edited by NJDevs4978

DeBoer may be making the calls on d-men but he was pretty much handicapped to an extent.  He didn't have to play Harrold as much as he did or bench Fayne as much as he did but other than that what was he supposed to do with five guys making $3 million plus on the payroll, the big prospect in Larsson and Fayne, who was on the team's #1 pairing two years ago?  

Tallinder was on the outside looking in for a reason, he wasn't great at all other than the 40-game stretch under Lemaire where just about everyone was great.  He was a bit star-crossed too with injuries at inopportune times but it seemed like every time he was in the lineup the team struggled, like the first halves of '10-11 and '11-12 or last year.

And yeah I did read that 'couple of guys on the coaching staff' as taking a shot at Stevens too.  Tallinder's got a mellow temperment, probably Stevens was too hyperintense for him.

Tallinder had one of the worst ESSV% behind him of any defenseman in the league.  He was much better than Salvador or Volchenkov and possibly Andy Greene, but he was on the outside looking in because the goalie couldn't make a stop behind him.

Hey I was Sean Brown's keeper - I have pretty decent recall about this.  When Larry came in full time Sean sank like a stone  :even: and It really was almost a gag he was played that way.  he was amazing for a very brief time there.  He just really responded so well...  OK but that is BEYOND the old news I complain about these days  :giggle:

I absolutely think Stevens has a hand in the defence.  One problem is he has no idea as to his own intellect and vision.  It sounds like he himself thinks it was his "toughness" that made him who he was on ice.  Well -- he's wrong if that's what he thinks -- as wrong as everyone else.  You knwo it's nice to have a gimmick to point to especially when what you have is, for you, unteachable.   He's got to learn to see what lemaire sees and teach it BETTER than Robinson can.  Don't like -- undoable - well then I guess you ought to go hunt full tiem then huh?  They need more guidance in wise toughness.  and they need to listen. 

Now I have to make snicker doodles for meeting... grr totally over slept today and it's the first day of First Day school... gggrrr!  And I'm probably totally wrong -- but I like mouthign off all the same  :evil:

• Like 1

Wasn't Tallinder pretty bad last year? My memory may be failing me and I don't have stats to support it, but I seem to recall cursing Tallinder's name several times per night whenever he did crack the lineup.

That said, the article (the title in particular) definitely sensationalized Tallinder's words.

Oh he stunk on ice (hey really no pun intended).  But he was obviously stymieing himself - he tried to break out but then let fly with some major brain farts.  I have pateince with gettign in your own way but I can understand not wanting to put up with that waste of time.  But Sal and Volch - the attitude that came off their play was "Awe geez - my bad. it's not going to happen again" yet it did and does CONTINUALLY.  Consistency in that style SUCKS!!! Tallinder appeared to take personal responsibility even if he wasn't saying it with words.  The other two paid lip service and coudln't even TRY to fix the problem in a lasting way.  I felt that word were clouding the issue - attitudes are not being seen clearly because ACTIONS speak louder than words and those two fix nothing.  WHAT????  You take it fvcking EASIER on them because they suck so bad they CAN"T FIX IT?>>>>>   GT&*)aq65780qT#$BP^*)CNRUP HT$Nbip;,

I HATE THEM SO MUCH!!!!  and I have ot be the wrong one here!  I AM THE ONE WHO DOESN"T KNOW so I'm fvcked watching this sh!t!!!!  #$%^&*%$^&*(%$*&*^(*&)%&$^#%^&*)%$*^#&^&*  YES I AM INFURIATED EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT!

:rant:  mutherfffffrrrr.....

If there's anyone from last season who should be upset, it's Fayne and Larsson. They all played consistently well with some minor slip-ups along the way, but were benched too often in my opinion in favor of players like Volchenkov and Tallinder and Salvador who played consistently worse.

during tallinder's blood clot he watched alot of games with larsson; i wanted to see the two as a pairing.

Or trade the two for something worth something

Jury is out on Larsson and i was pumped to get him. His want to play in the NHL is questionable.

Tallinder is like a taller andy greene, he played well last season.

during tallinder's blood clot he watched alot of games with larsson; i wanted to see the two as a pairing.

Or trade the two for something worth something

Jury is out on Larsson and i was pumped to get him. His want to play in the NHL is questionable.

Tallinder is like a taller andy greene, he played well last season.

Yes, this wouldn't have been an issue if the Devils were not in a position to draft Larsson, which was unforeseen at the time Lou signed him.  We didn't have the logjam at the beginning of the 2011 season, which started wtih the Zidlicky trade, which, in hindsight, turned out to be the right move. 

It was basically a series of unforeseen developments, and clearly not the end of the world.  The defense even with all the shuffling more or less did its job last season.  I don't blame Tallinder for complaining, and, as people have pointed out, his criticism is pretty subdued despite the headline. 

Edited by Daniel

i dont want to ride on whether or not what Larsson will do, so lets just say this was a convo with my bud (who was at the game tonight) days after Kovy left.

that being said i wanted to see three reg season games before i got any ideas but tonight was "very great"

i wish Larsson the best.