Patrick Elias overpaid?

mort4345

One thought that's surfaced at least a couple of times this thread (I think Triumph brought it once, for one, as did someone else) is that Elias is not a guy who typically scores being fed off the rush, like Mogilny was.

I wasn't a Gomez basher like many around here were. He did what he was supposed to do quite regularly; that is, he rushed the puck end-to-end. Perhaps the problem was that Elias wasn't a good match for him like Mogilny was, as others have suggested. We'll have to see if that proves correct this year with a different linemate for Elias.

As for the pressure of the captaincy, that too remains to be seen. I get the feeling that at least a few others around here agree with my thought that he was less than an effective captain.

- Jeff

Edited by jsonnabend

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thought that's surfaced at least a couple of times this thread (I think Triumph brought it once, for one, as did someone else) is that Elias is not a guy who typically scores being fed off the rush, like Mogilny was.

I wasn't a Gomez basher like many around here were. He did what he was supposed to do quite regularly; that is, he rushed the puck end-to-end. Perhaps the problem was that Elias wasn't a good match for him like Mogilny was, as others have suggested. We'll have to see if that proves correct this year with a different linemate for Elias.

As for the pressure of the captaincy, that too remains to be seen. I get the feeling that at least a few others around here agree with my thought that he was less than an effective captain.

- Jeff

A few points:

Last season Gomez rushed the puck end-to-end but too often put the puck in an area, not to a person. He was also willing to try passes that were dangerous and had little reward even if they were completed. Methinks Mr. Gomez was trying to inflate his assist totals. While Elias never meshed with him 100%, Gionta was that Mogilny-like sniper on his other wing - he would shoot off the rush.

Elias is a difficult choice for captain because most of his value to the team is scoring, and he's traditionally been a very streaky scorer. As a result, he rarely got into the kind of groove where he knew he was contributing and could help out his teammates. He was definitely willing to throw hits when he felt the team needed it.

I agree that he's streaky, and unfortunately because of his hepatitis, it could make him more streaky...heptatitis basically wrecks the immune system and will affect him for years...one cold could basically mean a week or 2 straight of him looking lost on the ice, like he did many times this past season

He's not overpaid, he's a very good hockey player with great deal of value right now with teams like MTL, EDM, VAN and T.O asking or supposedly asking about him. If you factor in his contract, age and potential health related problems..... i think his value maybe more as a trade chip than a Devil!

:gd:

DEVILS FAN FOR LIFE, DEATH TO LEAF NATION!

I agree that he's streaky, and unfortunately because of his hepatitis, it could make him more streaky...heptatitis basically wrecks the immune system and will affect him for years...one cold could basically mean a week or 2 straight of him looking lost on the ice, like he did many times this past season

hey guess what all you whiners? Elias as a first season captain led our team in scoring, led our team to an Atlantic Division title, and led us to the second round of the playoffs. What a bad year, huh? I don't think so.

Everyone here who is complaining about Elias' season, is basically mad that he didnt put up huge numbers like Heatley or Briere. That's what it comes down to when you say he isnt worth a 6mil cap hit. Get over that connection, because the truth is individual stats don't win you the cup.

Yes Elias is 'too' much of a team guy sometimes for his own good. And he'll probably have his bad weeks regardless because of the immune system.

That said, what gets overlooked about Elias is last year was his first full season in THREE years. He had a great half-year coming off the hepatitis but his last full NHL season was before the lockout.

Don't discount his talent in any case. Even in a down playoffs compared to last year, he still managed to average a point a game.

Edited by Hasan4978

I was critical of Elias' play last season, too, regardless of the captaincy. He seemed to be without instincts out there a lot of nights. But that said, I'm glad he's here, and I'm glad he's the captain ... until Parise is ready. I'm glad Madden isn't the captain. I'm a believer that one of your best players should be the captain, and Madden ain't that.

I think the reason for everyone's harsh critiquing of Elias this past season was because we all expected him to perform the way he did in the Rangers playoff series, for the whole year. I'm not gonna lie, I was one of those people. I understand the disappointment, but to say he's overpaid and that he's 'not worth it' is ludicrous. He'll be back this season.